White’s TDI Sl Special Edition With Miner John Folded Mono Coil

I had fixed the regular battery case to take 9 batteries and that gets it to 13.5 V. The SL and my SPP eats AA’s like it’s no end to it. It would help if I had my own battery company but that’s not the case. I added a battery pack on the outside to up the voltage but didn’t like it. As my wife would say it didn’t look cool. The trouble it just took more AA’s.

If one of you got another way to fix this just let me know. 

Chuck

This is the pack I'm using. Direct plug-in replacement, but 14.8v nominal rather than 11.1v of the other lithium ion offered. Actual max voltages are 16.8, and 12.6. Nominal voltage on li-ion is 3.7v/cell. Max is 4.2v/cell

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-TDI-SL-custom-Li-ion-14-8v-Battery-Higher-voltage-to-push-SL-to-new-depth/222810586564?hash=item33e08bbdc4:g:HfMAAOSws5Baah8g

• Like 1

That pack is cheaper now than when I bought it. I'm pretty sure I paid $150.00 for mine.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 4:48 AM, V3i/MXT Pro said:

I have a TDI SL with the same straight shaft and that set-up works great on the beach. It's ultra-light and balanced in this configuration. I use a 14.8v Li-ion battery (similar to the one shown above). I also own 6 coils, both DF and Mono. I bought my SL during one of the promotions. The entire package cost less than $1,500, brand new, including the battery and coils. Maybe I missed something but who else offers a ground balancing PI in that price range?

In my ground, I was getting the same depth as my TDI Pro, so I sold the Pro. I've dug coins at 19" on a saltwater beach. I can't comment on prospecting capability as I live on the East coast. Further, I've been told the SL and Pro have the same circuit board... The only differences being the stock battery voltage and the filtering that smooths out the threshold on the SL.

I tried running a 14.8 V Li-ion battery on my TDI SL (4.4 Ah 65.12Wh). When I turned it on the speaker was incredibly loud and sometimes it wouldn't function. I stopped trying to use it in fear of blowing the machine up. Any idea what was going on?

Jamie, I don't have a clue.

Jim

14 hours ago, JamieOR said:

I tried running a 14.8 V Li-ion battery on my TDI SL (4.4 Ah 65.12Wh). When I turned it on the speaker was incredibly loud and sometimes it wouldn't function. I stopped trying to use it in fear of blowing the machine up. Any idea what was going on?

Did the battery pack just slide in, or was it rather 'snug'?

The reason I ask, is that there may be a possibility of an electrical short caused by a battery that is pushing up on the circuit board.  Seems unlikely still, but that's the best thing I can think of.  When I was playing with my SPP, I built a battery pack with Li-ion batteries using a modified AA housing.  It fit, but was snug and pushed up on the housing slightly and the circuit board is right above the battery port.  I didn't have any problems like you describe, but you probably did the right thing not using the Li-ions in those conditions.

• Like 1

Reidman removed the factory base in his pack, and replaced it with a thinner sheet. it slides in smoothly, with no untoward pressure.

Jim

44 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Reidman removed the factory base in his pack, and replaced it with a thinner sheet. it slides in smoothly, with no untoward pressure.

Jim

Yeah, but the 'sliding door' still bulges up.

When I made mine, I cut out the door so it could still slide in and clear the Li-ion cells.  It provided clearance and support.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.  :smile:

20180304_131152.jpg

• Like 1

Not so, Luke. Here's a pic of my Reidman pack. No point on the bottom is higher than the perimeter edge, as seen.

Jim

P3050004.JPG