Another Equinox VDI Chart...

steveg

I plan to test further, also, Cabin Fever.  Iron ID on the rings on-edge suggests "wrap around;" that's why I wish I would have included that testing in the video -- for the reason you stated (the iron grunts).  I also plan to experiment some with iron bias; would the ring on-edge give more proper non-ferrous response with higher (or even maximum) iron bias?  Will other modes give better response?  Additional testing, as you suggested, is necessary...

It MAY turn out to be something like Rick suggested -- when he said this:

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Rick Kempf said:

I’m wondering if the “edge sensitivity”, “silver on edge” “disappearing target” notices are all part of a situation where the coil response to targets is  unconventional - different to what almost all other detectors do.

A bug - a feature? Time will tell.  

Steve

If Google is employed it is clear the coin on edge issue has existed for many detectors and is probably related to high speed reporting of the actual lines of force emanating from the search coil. There is zero evidence this is unique to Equinox. Some detectors are better and some are worse, but this is not some weird never seen before phenomenon.

Coin on edge discussion on Friendly Forum

Coils Are More Complicated Than You Think

My previous post on the subject

The original Omega 800 fell victim to large silver laying FLAT!.  Silver halfs and Dollars had less depth laying flat than tilted in air test.  FTP claimed to have lessened this with later models.  Did dig a Franklin half at 8" with no problem once and sounded like it was 2" deep. So it all depends.

Gold rings on edge are my main concern and the Nox does well on those according to user tests getting up to 2/3 of the distance vs laying flat which is a very good figure for any detector.

Tom

• Like 1

Steve --

COINS on edge, I agree.  Many machines struggle, and most if not all get reduced depth on a "on-edge" coin.  That ring of mine surprised me, though.  It's pretty wide -- MUCH wider than a coin's edge.  I would have thought that the amount of surface area "facing" the coil, even with the ring on edge, would have been a plenty good chunk of silver for the machine to see (unlike a "coin edge.")  

I guess this will have to be chalked up as a "quirk," which is fine by me.  This machine does so many things well, but there are bound to be "quirks" as you implied.  Certainly, behavior of electromagnetic fields is way too complex for most of us to understand, who have not been trained in that particular discipline...

Steve

• Like 1

All detectors are good at some things and not others. You have to weigh it all in balance, and that is what makes your report important Steve. It is what it is, and no sugar coating it.

In the roughest of generalities I would say Equinox is a gold detector that does well on silver and BBS/FBS are silver detectors that do well on gold. Both see targets invisible to the other. This test makes Equinox not look so good, gold chain tests make BBS/FBS look bad.

Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus Equinox

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

All detectors are good at some things and not others. You have to weigh it all in balance, and that is what makes your report important Steve. It is what it is, and no sugar coating it.

In the roughest of generalities I would say Equinox is a gold detector that does well on silver and BBS/FBS are silver detectors that do well on gold. Both see targets invisible to the other. This test makes Equinox not look so good, gold chain tests make BBS/FBS look bad.

Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus Equinox

Yep, that pretty much seems to sum it up, Steve.  As has been said many times, by many of us, BBS/FBS and Multi-IQ are very "complementary" to each other -- both do many things extremely well, and anywhere one is a tad weaker, the other has its strength there.  I can honestly say, this machine has impressed me significantly -- silver ring "oddity" aside.  I feel extremely fortunate to be able to own both an FBS machine and a Multi-IQ unit.  I feel that with EITHER, I am not "giving up much" as compared to any other VLF machine.  But with BOTH units available on any given day, there's nothing I can imagine -- no site, no environment, no style of hunting, no targets to seek -- where I am "missing anything," in terms of top-notch capability.

Steve

• Like 1

i wonder if beach 2 mode would do the same? 

• Like 1

It's an excellent question, martygene, and one I will explore.  I also have wondered if raising "iron bias" might improve the signal on the "on-edge" ring, as well.  These are things I'll examine "just for kicks," but since performance is apparently adequate/good (I need to confirm) on both on-edge GOLD rings, and on on-edge "small" silver coins (dimes and quarters), this is a "quirk" in the unit that I can most DEFINITELY live with, no question about it...

Steve 

On 2/16/2018 at 4:45 AM, steveg said:

I know I'm not the first, but maybe there are a few items in here that are not on other charts...

Steve 

EQUINOXVDI.jpg

Steve thanks for making the VDI chart.  Is it possible to get a copy of your excel file?  I'd like to reorder the targets by VDI from low to high and remove some of the white space for my field cheatsheet while I'm leaning the EQ800.

Something like this, but reordered as noted above:

image.png.76da63fb7ba1047d464be14daf42f6e7.png

Thanks!
Brian

Brain, 

SURE!  I'm not sure I know how to attach a file can you do that?  If you can let me know how, I will.  Otherwise, PM me your email address and I'll email it to you.

Thanks!

Steve