Question On Whites TDI

DSMITH

ran into an old friend yesterday he asked what I had been up to told him I do a lot of metal detecting and he said he has a whites TDI that he says he has used vary little he ask me if I would be interested in purchasing it from him because he says it just sits there collecting dust I asked him how much he wanted site unseen and he told me he would let me have it for $150 he says he has had it since 2010 said he purchased it new,I do not know anything about whites to know if thats a good price for a used one or not.

is there different versions of that particular detector that I should be aware of  when I go look at his or is there only one version

are there any potential issues the TDI had from that year that I should be aware of also

i am supposed to go look at it on Monday so thats why I am asking don't want to waist my time if its not worth it,its a long drive so just trying to decide whether to take the drive or not

Thanks for reading

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On 2/16/2018 at 8:32 PM, DSMITH said:

ran into an old friend yesterday he asked what I had been up to told him I do a lot of metal detecting and he said he has a whites TDI that he says he has used vary little he ask me if I would be interested in purchasing it from him because he says it just sits there collecting dust I asked him how much he wanted site unseen and he told me he would let me have it for $150 he says he has had it since 2010 said he purchased it new,I do not know anything about whites to know if thats a good price for a used one or not.

is there different versions of that particular detector that I should be aware of  when I go look at his or is there only one version

are there any potential issues the TDI had from that year that I should be aware of also

i am supposed to go look at it on Monday so thats why I am asking don't want to waist my time if its not worth it,its a long drive so just trying to decide whether to take the drive or not

Thanks for reading

This link here has info.

3 different models.

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

If you don’t want it I will buy it for twice that even if it is not working, get it repaired, and then sell it for $900. A recent TDI sold used for $1300 though I think that is a bit high. The old ones seem to be gaining value on the used market now that they are out of production.

The rechargeable battery may very well be dead from sitting to long. The battery alone can run a couple hundred bucks. They are no longer listed on the White’s website so aftermarket options may be all that are available now.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/whites-tdi-pulse-induction-metal-detector.htm

• Like 1

Wow like I said I do not know anything about whites guess I will not question his price  and just pay it if I do get it and do not like it guess it would be an easy sell whats the most anyone would pay for it used working or not working cant imagine it not working as he stated he had only used it a few times and then set it in a closet and its been collecting dust just hope he did not leave the batteries in it,that would not be good

Its been since about 2007 that I had seen this friend as I moved to a different state in 2009 for a few years and then came back to AZ in 2013 but we had talked on the phone up until a couple years ago then we lost touch and I just happened to run into him by chance he looked like he was in some struggles since the last time I had seen him so I think I will find out whats been going on for him if hes selling it out of desperation or what and if he is I will probably give him a little more then what he said but I will find out the story first i am hoping it is not the case of a desperation sell off because I have been there and done that sold things I did not want to just because I had to , we were pretty good friends though so that might not be the case I didn't even know he had gotten into metal detecting when him and I were running together we were into drinking and riding our bikes

I will find out whats up though  

Dont question him,just take the money and pick the machine up and hit the road before he changes his mind,bargain of the century i would think.

1 hour ago, RickUK said:

Dont question him,just take the money and pick the machine up and hit the road before he changes his mind,bargain of the century i would think.

if he was a total stranger I would do that but like I stated he is a old friend which I could never take advantage of someone I consider a friend even though we lost touch with each other for a bit I still consider him to be a vary good friend guess I just look at it differently from most people these days

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

...I just look at it differently from most people these days.

I know what you're saying.  When buying/selling/negotiating it's not often that the perfectly fair price can be found.  One side or the other is going to get a deal, but maybe it's only a slight misalignment.  Still, even that can damage friendships.

I'm preparing (next few months) to get rid of my Chevy Cruze (been a great car but it won't meet my near future offroading needs :wink:) and get a Jeep.  My sister-in-law said her sister would be interested in my Cruze.  In that conversation she said "don't forget, she's family."  My reply was "I'm family, too."  I'm probably better off just selling to a stranger.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DSMITH said:

if he was a total stranger I would do that but like I stated he is a old friend which I could never take advantage of someone I consider a friend even though we lost touch with each other for a bit I still consider him to be a vary good friend guess I just look at it differently from most people these days

Good man!

• Like 2