phrunt

GM1000 Kept Making Siren Noise On Gold Bearing Creek

Two Questions with two different creeks, both are freshwater inland mountain fed creeks about 25 minutes or so drive from each other.

Creek #1

So I went to an alternative creek to my usual spot today to do some exploring, my GM1000 wasn't behaving at all there, I was unable to use it, I'm unsure if it was because I'm an unlicensed driver of the thing and was operating it incorrectly or if it couldn't handle the ground.  I tried JP's ground balancing method numerous times to calm it down and I tried running it on Sensitivity 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, 9, 10, Auto and Auto+, All metal and discriminate in all the sensitivity levels, nothing made a difference I would still constantly get this Siren sound when I was swinging around.  I've attached a link to a Youtube video showing the issue.  I thought the siren sound was when it was overloaded such as when you put it up next to a big chunk of metal (the same noise happens on my daughters Go-Find 40 when it goes near big bits of metal and at this creek as she has tried it before here and was unusable due to the siren constantly going off) so I dug the area of some of the siren noises, Couldn't find any metal at all with the naked eye, certainly not giant bit's that I would expect would set off the siren noise.  I didn't find one bit of junk at the location.  The other odd thing is a majority of the time the Gold Chance indicator was indicating it was a non-ferrous target that was causing the siren noise, usually all the way over to the Gold side, you'll see in the video no doubt.  I knew I hadn't found a nugget the size of a baseball, so what on earth was causing it! 

I gave up using the Monster and started just digging buckets of gravel and running it through my sluice and found more gold in the two hours I was there than I would normally find in a day at my alternative creek.  It's the first time I've used the sluice at this location but it was nice to see a girl sluicing on my walk to the spot I went to, gave me confidence there must be gold around..

BUT and I think this may explain the siren, my sluice was getting full of little black rocks, I just kept running it for the 2 hours anyway as I could see the front of it was filling up rapidly with little bits of gold (and one nugget that got stuck in the first portion of the carpet) and when I pulled it out to do my cleanup and gather up my hoard I was struggling panning it down because these little black rocks were heavy.  I eventually got out a magnet that came with my panning kit and ran it over them and wow, cleaned out my pan in seconds, it was all magnetic. I had to be careful and clean the magnet in another pan as gold was sticking to it like mad.

I ended up getting a large container of the stuff in only 2 hours of running about 8 buckets of gravel and that container is damn heavy.  Is this stuff the culprit of my Monsters siren noise? Would an Equinox 800 handle this soil better? Are they tiny little crazy hot rocks? they do look like little black crystals up close.  All other hot rocks i've encountered in the past are big proper rocks.  Is it possibly this black sand I hear about, for some reason I assumed sand would be associated with a beach, but I am new to this all.

IMG_20180217_202153.thumb.jpg.029af01e3787676458f372b1ef7cf6a4.jpgV

IMG_20180217_202212.thumb.jpg.77b7a31fa9e607a830ea195b7758249e.jpg

Highly Magnetic, and for some reason Gold really likes to stick to them, you'll probably notice little bits of gold in amongst it in this photo.

IMG_20180217_202218.thumb.jpg.cade4aea67ca6551aa46708982fa2556.jpg

It looked a lot and felt damn heavy so I put it into a coffee jar I had laying around and weighed it.

IMG_20180217_212317.thumb.jpg.a1d50f4ff3985f2b0958ef38cc8190c7.jpg

2.45 Kilos! 5.4 Pounds!  No wonder my backpack got really heavy 

Creek #2

So I've been messing around quite a bit with my GM1000 at another gold bearing creek, when I run the sluice in there I can get lots of bits up to the size of .3 of a gram but mostly the bigger bits are .1 to .2 of a gram.

I've noticed in air tests if I run my GM1000 in manual 10 I can get a much bigger depth on a .2 gram nugget than in Auto or Auto+ in an air test so I'd prefer to run it in manual if possible..  I know that air tests are rubbish but it just seems like manual 10 goes deeper most of the time.

When I swing my GM1000 in and around this creek in manual 10 I am getting a lot of signals around the place but mostly in clusters, but not everywhere, I can cover 2 or 3 meters on manual 10 and get no signal, then I can come across a spot where about 1 meter radius has signals, so there is some ground that comes up clean, move a few feet away and I get signals again, is it possible this is small gold its seeing or is it some sort of falsing, our ground is normally very mild and if I do dig a bucket of gravel from where it signals there is almost always gold in it.  Is it possible that the signals are just the tiny bits of gold I get when I dig a bucket from those spots and sluice it, it seems to me that's the only explanation, but some of the bits are so small it would be a surprise.  My other concern is these little signals are this black crystal stuff again, the creeks are near to each other and I have noticed hard to pan out tiny black crystal rocks there, but not millions of them like the other creek, usually 50 or so in a days sluicing.

Thanks for any help, these situations have me puzzled, I also would like to know opinions on if the Equinox 800 would handle these situations better than the GM1000.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can't stop laughing long enough to read the whole thing yet.  YES!  That is the black sand you've been hearing about. (and I'm glad you are finding good gold in it)  You've struck the mother lode of magnetite!!! :laugh:  Its too bad the major iron miners of the world haul that stuff around in 300 ton dump trucks, because if they didn't, you'd have an iron deposit!!!  :laugh:  Now your challenge, should you accept it, is to separate the gold from the magnetite.  You might want another tool to make that job easier.

Well done finding the gold!

• Haha 1

I'll leave it to the experts to answer the detector questions, but I will say, that first creek has patches of extremely hot ground, from the magnetite.  Which is dense as you've discovered, so it is highly correlated in creeks with even denser gold.  I hope you've found a great spot for sluicing out the gold.

I'd love to see and hear more about how this turns out.  It seems promising.

I've seen lots of people use blue bowls and Archamides tables to separate the black sands from the gold.  Somebody here who has experience with them should be able to offer advice about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Thanks for any help, these situations have me puzzled, I also would like to know opinions on if the Equinox 800 would handle these situations better than the GM1000.

Not much. It looks like you found a place in New Zealand where a PI would be the best choice. This is the type of situation they were made for. The Equinox may do better than the GM1000 there but it is way too soon to be able to know anything like that without actually trying it. It is a great machine, but there are limits, and dense magnetite is tough for any detector. And never forget that sometimes a sluice box is a better option than any detector!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never seen anything like that Phrunt, that black stuff is cool to see. Thanks for the pics. 

Funny that the GM was showing non-ferrous yet the black sands are magnetic - weird. 

Looks like a great spot. Maybe the perfect location for an SDC - small gold and heavy mineralization. 

• Thanks 1

Phrunt, from your sidebar we can all see you have an impressive collection of IB/VLF detectors.  (Minelab Equinox isn' t on that list yet, but I suspect it won't handle that creek in the video better than a GM 1000).  I think you need a PI.  Don't know about the used prices in NZ, but I've seen some great deals in US (Gerry just had a couple that he posted here on this site recently).  It would probably be misleading to say those were invented to handle hot (iron infested) ground like you have shown and described, but they certainly thrive in such an environment.  Meanwhile take advantage of that sluice box!

If you can take your Gold Bug Pro to one of these sites and are able to ground balance it (try one of the milder ground spots), in all-metal mode on the left side of the display screen is an Fe3O4 indicator.  I predict over those hot spots it will max out.  (I don't know the GM1000, but would think it also has an Fe3O4 indicator or something similar.)

• Like 2

An Equinox is on it's way soon, the sluice did a mighty fine job in getting the gold for me, most i've had in such a small amount of time and I got one of the biggest nuggets I've ever had, unfortunately I had to leave as the day was ending and I was starving, the morning was raining heavy so I started my day late.

I had a hunch it might be black sand but I was puzzled why it was in patches and read non-ferrous mostly on the Monster.

The strange thing is I have had my Garrett Euroace at that creek before when I first got it, and it behaved well on that ground.  I've never tried my T2 or GBP there so out of interest I'll take them next time.  The Go-Find 40 has been there and made the same siren noise as the Monster.

When I get the EQ800 I'll give it a try there and see how well it behaves, if it all goes sour it really means nothing, I don't mind if I can't use a detector at one creek, the sluice is doing the job just fine, couldn't be happier with how the sluice handled it, but I must say the magnet was vital in extracting the gold, it's impossible to pan gold out of that stuff when you have a kilo of it in your pan with a small amount of gold mixed in with it :laugh:

On the plus side my daughter wants to collect all of the black sand, she thinks the stuff is great so I will be needing lots of Coffee Jars, I best start drinking!

I will be going back to that location ASAP!

Thanks for all your tips folks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Not much. It looks like you found a place in New Zealand where a PI would be the best choice. This is the type of situation they were made for. The Equinox may do better than the GM1000 there but it is way too soon to be able to know anything like that without actually trying it. It is a great machine, but there are limits, and dense magnetite is tough for any detector. And never forget that sometimes a sluice box is a better option than any detector!

Yes, I will try an EQ800 on it be won't be disappointed it if fails, The sluice sure doesn't fail there, was my best day ever for finds and I was only there 2 hours.  I don't even think it's worth running a detector there really, unless of course you're just hunting for a bigger nugget as everywhere you dig you get gold in every bucket so even a PI would be going off constantly if it was one capable of finding small gold, saying GOLD GOLD GOLD

It's strange my Garrett Euroace handles the ground, on almost full sensitivity notching out the ferrious targets and away it goes, smooth as anything, it's a shame it can't find small gold.  I'll try the GBP and T2 there next time out of interest.

Hi there Simon, I heard a siren from where I was detecting. It was a siren I hadn't heard before.  It wasn't an ambulance, nor a police car or a fire truck. It must have been you on the Arrow. :laugh: No....too far away.... The Arrow, the Shotover & the Cadrona are SHOCKING for ironsand. Not just sand but iron stones, rocks & boulders. No place for a high frequency VLF detector. I tried my GM 1000 on the Arrow the last time I was sluice boxing up there. And that was only because it was in my truck. I had the exact same experience as you & I kind of fully expected it & wasn't disappointed. The domain of a pulse induction detector. I have found gold up the Arrow with my 4500 & SDC 2300. One of the very few places I have used the 2300 more than once. You will see now why  one who is a bit more serious about detecting for gold needs more than just one detector. At the very least a PI & a high frequency VLF. Sometimes even just a sluice box is more rewarding...as you found out. Even a sluice box gets filled up with iron sands quickly & you need to clean it out often or the gold will just skip across the top & back into the drink. It is all a learning curve & you are learning fast & doing well. Good on you. The Arrow would have had a bit of flood gold come down in the last month with the heavy rain we have had. Even though it was short & sweet. The rivers need a good stir up. The Arrow....as you probably know, was a filthy rich river back in its day as was the Shotover just the next valley over.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, phrunt said:

as everywhere you dig you get gold in every bucket so even a PI would be going off constantly if it was one capable of finding small gold, saying GOLD GOLD GOLD

Gezzzz Simon....don't tell every one. They will all be coming over :biggrin:

Sorry guys....Simon is mistaken....it is all mica & pyrites, no gold :ph34r:

JW :laugh:

• Haha 2