Metal Detecting Companies - The " Big 5 "

Back when I started detecting in the 70s there were pages full of detector manufacturers in the magazine. Frankly, because anyone could make a metal detector in their garage! For me at least it was obvious there were some people leading the way, and in the 1980s the "Big 5" were:

1. Compass
  2. Fisher
  3. Garrett
  4. Tesoro
  5. White's

Unfortunately things went south for Compass though the machines are well regarded even today. A brash newcomer arrived on the scene to replace them and so in the 1990s the Big 5 list changed:

1. Fisher
  2. Garrett
  3. Minelab
  4. Tesoro
  5. White's

I think we are now at another change in the list - at least as far as I am concerned. There are no doubt people who will disagree very strongly with me and that's ok. I am sorry to say I just do not see Tesoro as a major player anymore. They have been milking old circuits for far too long, and have made a lot of missteps as of late. Great folks, the Giffords, but I just do not pay attention to Tesoro any more. Also, Fisher has become part of a larger powerhouse named First Texas which also makes Bounty Hunter and Teknetics detectors. Who am I watching these days?

1. First Texas
  2. Garrett
  3. Minelab
  4. White's
  5. ???

And right now entry into the Big 5 is a race. We have three big contenders and one or the other may prove to be a Big 5 member. It may even be we need to recognize a Big 6! But we are not there yet.

Contestant Number One. XP Metal Detectors of France. There can be no denying the impact of the XP DEUS in the metal detecting world. At the same time, it is very easy to overestimate the impact. It is just one detector, and a very expensive one at that, on the shelf at very few locations. Before XP can join the Big 5 they have to broaden the product offering. To get me on board they need to put a DEUS in a F75 type body with traditional coils. if you think I am just an old fuddy duddy you simply do not know where the big bucks are in the detecting world at this time. They need a more traditional model or two under $1000 retail before they are going to have any real impact. Anybody that does not make a real good $500 - $700 detector is just not a player yet. They want to ever play in my world they also need a dedicated prospecting detector and a PI detector. Lots of people would like to see a multi frequency model from XP. No rumors even but I have to believe XP is working on a mainstream product under a grand. We will see.

Contestant Number Two. Nokta/Makro of Turkey. These two companies together now as one actually have an extensive and fairly high tech product line but only very limited offerings targeting the mainstream consumer metal detecting world. Ignoring what I consider to be oddball models there are the Nokta Velox One, FORS CoRe, and FORS Gold plus Makro CF77. Only the FORS models have gotten any real attention and like XP we can really just get it down to one detector that has had any impact, the Nokta FORS CoRe. Honestly, nobody even heard of these folks a few months ago (sorry Nokta, just telling it like it is) and compared to even XP their visibility is minimal. I think it is safe to say yet most people in the detecting world are not even aware of them. They basically have to do what XP needs to do. Follow up with models targeting the mainstream, and they also need to establish more dealers and service in the U.S. Right now XP has a bit of a head start but Nokta/Makro have the more explicitly stated goal of wanting to be a Big 5 company with models including mid-range products, PI detectors, and more. There will be service in the U.S. any minute now and an expanded dealer base. They are behind and it is early but right now I am betting on Nokta/Makro as filling that open space in the Big 5 list soon. The new Makro Racer due in February could be their breakthrough offering.

Contestant Number Three. Tesoro Electronics. It is actually their spot to give up and they could still hold into it by surprising everyone with a new model soon that defies expectations. I think the entire future of Tesoro is riding on the Cazador. If they surprise us with something that looks like it is made for the 21st century instead of being a throwback to the 20th century then they have a fighting chance. Maybe that is why the Cazador is taking so long - Tesoro needs to swing for the fences.

It is going to be a very interesting year indeed!

makro-kruzer-nokta-anfibio-minelab-equinox-ctx-3030-garrett-at-max-quest.jpg

• Like 1

Steve,

Where do you see the Russian AKA line in your story board?

HH

Mike

I dunno.  There has been some talk but I don't know where its going.   Cannot get onto Findmall from my normal computer anymore.  Seems J&J and Findmall are no longer compatiable.

HH

Mike

Nobody is U.S. dealing in AKA that I can find. They appear to be building some cutting edge tech, but you either buy from eBay or a UK representative. Found a thread saying they would have Kellyco as a distributor by April 2013 but that obviously did not happen. It does not matter how good their stuff is if they do not have any representation in the U.S.

Hope you get your connection fixed up. That would have me on the warpath in short order.

• Like 1

WoW Keith!!

As I was reading Steve's post, in the back of my mind I was thinking we never hear of C-Sope anymore. Bang!

You post about Tesoro link. that would be interesting. The very first detector I owned was a CS6Pi.

• 3 years later...

Tripped over this old thread - what an amazing difference six years can make! The "Big Five" now (alphabetical order):

1. First Texas (Bounty Hunter, Fisher, Teknetics)
  2. Garrett/White's
  3. Minelab
  4. Nokta/Makro
  5. XP

Tesoro and then White's leaving the scene made the switch up official. The consolidation that has been going on for years is now very visible, with three positions now held by "combined companies."

• Like 3

Steve:

Thanks for an interesting bit of history and an update.  It would be interesting to see that list compiled for the early 1960's and also the early 1970's so as to see how companies change over time.