Need Someone To Explain This To Me

Was doing some testing on targets with my GM 1000 the targets were clad coins,lead bits,aluminum foil and a couple of gold rings I was trying to get a feel for how each sounds different on the GM 1000

what I need an explanation on is this when I would pass a clad coin pennies,nickels,dimes and quarters under the coil they would all give pretty much the same sound but where I need the explanation is on the iron and gold chance meter on the GM 1000 they all also read on the non ferrous side of the meter why is this nails and things like that would read on the iron side but all clad coins hit on the gold chance side should the meter be reading clad coins like that I understand the nails and things like that but why the pennies,nickels,dimes and quarters the clad coins also would give of a sound on the speaker and hit on the gold chance side of the meter while in deep all metal or discrimination modes it did not matter.

I am not sure I entirely understand the question but here goes. The meter registers ferrous or non-ferrous. It actually has nothing to do with gold per se but in theory in the middle of nowhere that’s what you are looking for. Gold, silver, lead, aluminum, copper, etc all will read non-ferrous.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am not sure I entirely understand the question but here goes. The meter registers ferrous or non-ferrous. It actually has nothing to do with gold per se but in theory in the middle of nowhere that’s what you are looking for. Gold, silver, lead, aluminum, copper, etc all will read non-ferrous.

WELL it was confusing me even though I have been detecting since 2009 I did not even realize that modern day coins would register on the non ferrous side probably would have never realized it had I not had the GM 1000 and was running some testing of what different coins and other metal items sounded like on the GM 1000 was just trying to get accustomed to what different items sounded like on it and I still would have never known had I not been watching the iron and gold chance meter on the GM 1000 while running coins in my plastic scoop past the coil learned something new for me anyways guess it just goes to show you are never to old or to smart to learn something new I knew lead,brass,aluminum.and gold would read on the non ferrous side just not clad coins

You want more fun...... Check out some Canadian coins. 

If you are in doubt get a good magnet... it will help clarify things for you.

• Like 1