Equinox Too Noisy?

Mike Buck

Never heard of any metal detector that vibrates on the discovery of a find, but the easiest way to quieten the signal sound is to turn your headphones volume right down and all signals register on the control display screen.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, Hello said:

Is there no setting on Equinox 600 and 800 that makes it quiet when it finds objects? That it vibrates instead of sounding? Or that the screen tell you if you find an object instead of sound?

2 hours ago, Randy Dee said:

Never heard of any metal detector that vibrates on the discovery of a find,

To Randy:  The Nokta Simplex has a vibrate upon target detection feature also the screen backlight can be set to turn on automatically if a target is detected.

To Hello:  No such features on the Equinox - Most target signals will display a target ID number if you are running silent.  BTW. the speaker automatically cuts out when headphones (wired or wireless) are used.  But frankly sound is more important than visual when it comes to detecting targets that is why it is important to set up your detector to minimize chatter or false target audio from electromagnetuc interference aka EMI (e.g., power lines, cell and wifi radios, etc), ground noise, and ferrous junk using the built in  detector noise cancellation, ground balance, discrimination and iron bias settings to extent practical while limiting attenuation of the desirable target signals in the process.  It is a delicate balancing act that comes easier with lots of detecting experience and is a major point of frustration for those who are too impatient to climb the requisite learning curve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

BTW. the speaker automatically cuts out when headphones (wired or wireless) are used.

And if you don't want to go the headphone route, I'm pretty sure you can turn the volume to zero.  Having said that, I agree that for most detectorists and situations, eliminating volume information is counterproductive.  Underwater when you don't have the waterproof headphones?  I would think vibration (which many Nokta/Makro detectors can do, not just the Simplex) would be a plus.  I say that having never gone (and not expecting to ever go) underwater with a detector....  The deaf community is quite appreciate of Nokta/Makro's vibrate feature, BTW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What size coil are you using?

11 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

What size coil are you using?

Who are you directing the question at?  Recognize, that user "Hello" tacked on a recent question to a very old thread started in February 2018.  So the original topic and issue is moot at this point even though the thread has been resurrected.  Hello does not have his detector in hand yet.

• Like 1

I didn't realize the thread was that old.  Never mind.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 4:41 AM, Mike Buck said:

Hey all. So I've had my 600 for a few days now and have gotten out 3 times. I've made some great finds so far in my yard which I previously hunted numerous times. 

I've noticed that this machine is very noisy and chatters a lot.  The machines I've used before were a lot older Whites machines and were nowhere near this noisy.  

I noise cancelled my machine, have the tracking ground balance on and even turned the sensitivity down to about 15 and this thing is very chattery still. I was mainly searching in Park 1 mode but switched to some other modes to see if it was the same... and it was. When I get over a good target, I know it.  It's just very noisy otherwise.  Not sure if this is something I just need to get used to or if I'm just doing something wrong.

Does anyone else have any input with how noisy their machine has been or what they have been seeing/hearing? 

Thanks guys! 

Hi

Actually I agree with you the Equinox/Vanquish/Etrac etc are noisy as long as you are detecting in high iron trashed areas, probably like your yard . It is what I have always been saying since I am on this forum ( January of this year ) the ML multifreqs are excellent on low to medium iron trashed areas , but they become noisy and unstable on high iron trashed compared to other machines like the Tesoros , XP , Whites etc ...  It is for me the ML multifreqs weakness, they have not been designed for high iron trashed areas , at least those that  we have in Europe , with 2000 years of intense human occupation .  This is why I use a Deus on iron trashed areas , there a big difference between them ,the Deus is almost silent and just beeps on the good targets among the ferrous  .. Just my opinion , but I have very experimented friends over here that fully agree with me on this "chatty ML multifreqs" topic ...

To confirm this I can suggest you to try the Equinox in a other area than your yard ,  away from the town with little iron trash, you should see the difference , the Equinox should be more silent .  Perhaps I am wrong and it comes from an EMI issue. You should quickly find the reason of this issue by testing your Equinox at different locations I think ...

• Like 2

Sorry I did not see that the topic was dating from 2018 , I thought it was a recent one , a little too late to answer to this, perhaps that will help Hello  ... 🙂

• Like 1

Just one last thing , you can reduce the "noise" on the Equinox by increasing the Iron Bias level ( FE  ) . Doing this you loose a little depth and reactivity but the machine will be more silent between targets , this because the filtering on the small irons is higher.