Equinox Too Noisy?

Mike Buck

•  In EMI -for elimination EMI - try to change as follow : 1.auto-or manual  Noise cancel... 2.recovery speed  to low.-for better signal ratio ground--EMI,...  3.tone volume-audio gain-it s max.25....,go- to low, or-minimum...minor gain audio-minor gain falsing signals, ...  4. and increase iron bias ....minor signal falsing....5. increase sensitivity to maximum  - the stable...non false signals.........  For false signals from the ground,.. apply only steps 3. Tone Volume-very  important,.step..4,..5...and step 2.- recovery speed filter to high  recovery speed filter...
  • Like 1

I've found that the 5kHz frequency on both the Nokta Impact and Makro multi Kruzer is unusable at 8 out of 10 sites that I detect. 5 kHz seems to be a very noise susceptible  frequency.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Is there more noise with the coil still or while you are sweeping?

It is a jumpy threshold and target ID when in a certain area.  If I get 20 yards away it smooths out and is not a problem.

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Mitchel,

For the noisy pier, you might want practice with and then try the 800-unique manual noise cancel mode to see if that helps you manually find a less noisy channel so you don't have to suppress sensitivity.  Just a thought

Chase,

I have used this on my 3030 with limited success.  I thought I had the right channel and setup one time.  I went back and it was as noisy as ever.  The best thing I could do with the 3030 was to go back when everything was off.  I don't do that much any more.  The first time under for me was just on Beach 1 and Beach 2 and was only about 5% of my hunt.

I'm in need of basics right now.

Mitchel

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Buck said:

While I'm sweeping Mark. It's silent until I start swinging. Seems like it's 70% chatter and 30% signals if I had to guess. 

Not necessarily a question for you Mike but anyone wishing to answer. 

I thought if a detector was noisy when still it was EMI and if noisy when being moved it was ground noise. 

Is the Equinox (or VLFs with a threshold) different in this regard or is the fact that Mike is describing his Equinox as silent when still suggestive that EMI is not the problem? 

The only VLF I have is the Gold Monster and it has no threshold at all.  Even when turned on in the house it doesn't make a noise until put near something metal - so I don't really have something to compare to. 

decided to take my 800 to a local (big city) park to see about the 'noise issue'. 

ground is frozen solid and will be for some time but today was nice so what the heck....

very nice ergos, settings easy to use, etc...but dang I couldn't find a  'clean' spot to ground balance!

uncomfortable running auto tracking so I decided to just up the GB from 0 to 6....kind of stuck here.

advice? and can folks let me know what # their ground GB's to?

lots of chatter so moved the sense down to 17 on park 1....usable, I'll just get used to the ground chatter...

came across some decent, what I assume were penny signals, depth guage is pretty much maxed 

on most of these 25ish signals with some jumping around....

really looking forward to the thaw to see how deep these are...looks like the last of the pennies here

will be easy to pick out...

17 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This is one of the few real uses I have found for the single frequency modes.

17 hours ago, Wayfarer said:

I've had my 800 out three days and to about a half a dozen locations and noticed that it is indeed somewhat sensitive to EMI.  Also, the coil on the Equinox because of its double D design has extra signals at the edge of the coil, in fact much stronger "edge" signals than any other DD coil I've used, and this makes for a very chattery audio especially when sweeping over numerous shallow targets. 

At one location, a park near a federal building, the EMI was so bad that I had to switch out of Multi and go to 10 kHz to quiet the detector down.  The EMI seemed to be coming in through the 5 kHz channel, which was very noisy, but all the others were quiet.  This is a location I've hunted many times with other detectors and the only other detector besides the Equinox that was this sensitive to EMI was my V3i.  I guess that is the downside of a sparky detector running many frequencies simultaneously with a greater chance of picking up EMI.  But it's not un-tamable.  You just have to make sure you do a good noise cancel, drop the sensitivity, and switch to single frequency if absolutely necessary. 

This is a "hot" detector.  It's good that Minelab didn't dumb it down just to make it more stable.

Federal building ? Must be big brother keeping an eye on you with all their spy equipment!

• Haha 1

Since the chatter is only noticeable while the coils is in motion I'd suspect the area is highly mineralized (might be man made).  I have a few old schools where they have burnt coal as a heat source (and discarded the waste on the property) for decades and when the ground is saturated I get a lot of ground chatter.  But when it dries out the chatter is all but gone, very quiet.  To prove this to yourself adjust the threshold so just audible in discrimination and see if the audio blanks out while the coil is in motion.  I'd almost bet it does and that will give you a clue as to the ground chatter.  For me the solution was to turn the sensitivity down to about 15, this reduced the false signals a great deal.  Might add, try the same area when the ground dries up a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Is there no setting on Equinox 600 and 800 that makes it quiet when it finds objects? That it vibrates instead of sounding? Or that the screen tell you if you find an object instead of sound?