Pictures Of Battery Removed From Equinox

FlyFish

1 hour ago, Dan(NM) said:

I just did that with my CTX, 6 months warranty left and did just fine on the price. The battery on the old CTX was holding a very good charge after 2.5 years.  I'm sure you know I took the battery out of the EQ simply because I got sick and tired of the BS everywhere. If Minelab would have stepped up to the plate and addressed the concerns being voice, then some nucklehead  like me wouldn't have to do it. I will say, it shut the naysayers up, but, we all know,  some people will find something else to bitch about.

I am glad you did Dan. I considered doing it but since I have a prototype I was not sure what was shipping. Minelab could have sealed the access area with wax or a special label to reveal tampering and so I did not want to get into all that. Plus I might get asked by the powers that be why I was appearing to advocate people pulling the battery out to look at it, as occurred with you. That’s why I specifically took this photo the way I did a month ago.

Minelab appears to be so focused on getting the machine out some things are being deferred. Like accessory pricing. And they have left battery replacement vague I think as they may still be considering what sort of final program they want to put in place regarding that, cost, etc. no matter what, people are determined to try and anticipate problems and are creating problems to anticipate.:rolleyes:

minelab-equinox-handle-separated-from-rod.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TedinVT said:

Then there's the whole “where does the third wire go? (shown in some of the photos of the battery and the down-the-handle photo).

Like I said: it will be years down the road before anyone has to worry about this but whatever way they have the battery hooked up I'll find the solution to make a less expensive version with probably a better battery than Minelab uses... Check ebay in a couple years... I'll offer a complete kit with instructions, o-rings and lube... again it all depends on Minelab price! 

• Like 2

Are the 2 O-rings the only waterproof seal or is there another seal associated with the “trap door” that is held in place with the single screw which is removed to remove the battery?

What is the purpose of the black plastic piece with the 2 O-rings that appears to be attached to the battery?

Also, curious about the yellow wire.

25 minutes ago, TedinVT said:

Are the 2 O-rings the only waterproof seal or is there another seal associated with the “trap door” that is held in place with the single screw which is removed to remove the battery?

What is the purpose of the black plastic piece with the 2 O-rings that appears to be attached to the battery?

Also, curious about the yellow wire.

The double o rings appear to be the waterproof seal, the black thing is what seals the battery in place and has a screw in it to hold it in place. I have no idea what the yellow wire is for.

• 5 months later...

YOu might want to think about packing the two parts with that grease....... why..... because that nipple that holds the handle in place lets water and sand in that area.  The two parks may appear to seal around the shaft..... but that hole..... well i can show you a picture with a bit of sand and water dripping out when i took mine off to change shafts.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

If anyone does remove their NOX battery make sure you apply silicone grease on the o-rings and joins before reassembly.   I really like this stuff but I'm sure there are versions sold in other countries.  This is probably more beneficial once out of warranty when people are more than likely going to be replacing their battery.

https://www.crc.co.nz/Silicone-Grease/6895-413c28ec-3760-4f84-8e19-05f717153c2a/

It stops leaks from happening and stops the rubber seals breaking down.

I've seen people fill whole battery compartments on waterproof cameras with it, no water is ever getting to the battery or electronics then, and it's non conductive so won't cause any electronics issues.

Normally, I would agree with this advice, but...

I would really like to hear whether ML agrees that silicone grease should be applied to the o rings.  If they are not packed with grease already, then doing something to those o rings they do not do at the factory may be cause for ML invalidating your warranty if you DO suffer a water intrusion problem.

ML says the battery is user replaceable without voiding your warranty unless the o-rings are determined to have been damaged as a result of the battery replacement.

I suspect there are a few of us who really give the detector battery a work out as well as the entire machine in a year.   We may well need to replace ours before the 3 year warranty.   I know with the Xcal II i was getting so many things replaced that it came down to ML not wanting to replace a second coil....... they said i hunted to much lol.   What that ment was i put in way more hours on the machine in a year than most and that the average person wouldnt have these problems within the warranty period.    People should really read page 62 of the manual pertaining to chargers too.

So ...... how long is the warranty on the battery compared to the machine?   Sometimes just running the O rings under some warm water to get their natural stickiness is better than grease..... especially for those being removed repeatedly.  

On 7/31/2018 at 4:46 AM, phrunt said:

If anyone does remove their NOX battery make sure you apply silicone grease on the o-rings and joins before reassembly.   I really like this stuff but I'm sure there are versions sold in other countries.  This is probably more beneficial once out of warranty when people are more than likely going to be replacing their battery.

https://www.crc.co.nz/Silicone-Grease/6895-413c28ec-3760-4f84-8e19-05f717153c2a/

It stops leaks from happening and stops the rubber seals breaking down.

I've seen people fill whole battery compartments on waterproof cameras with it, no water is ever getting to the battery or electronics then, and it's non conductive so won't cause any electronics issues.

Amazingly, they make something specifically for the Nox already! Happened to see this on the link that phrunt shared.

Screenshot_20180803-212918.png

• Haha 2