Pictures Of Battery Removed From Equinox

FlyFish

1 hour ago, Thegoldenone said:

Chase, I think the battery will out last the warranty in most cases

I was talking about folks just opening them up to take a look or to see if it can be done in the near term.  Or  not reassembling them properly and causing loss of watertight integrity.  Oops.  Of course the battery should def outlast the warranty under normal usage.  I wasn't really worried about the whole "sealed battery" issue in any event coming from the Deus.

It would be sensible for most people to leave this alone until the need arises. Just posting how the battery comes out is not saying everyone should run out and do it. Why would you? I sure will not unless I think the battery is getting weak. Some people however just do not care about warranty - I have completely disassembled and rebuilt several new detectors just for the heck of it. The bottom line here is people have been spreading crazy rumors about unservicability and the Equinox being a throwaway detector. Maybe this will put some of that to rest. Thanks.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It would be sensible for most people to leave this alone until the need arises. Just posting how the battery comes out is not saying everyone should run out and do it. Why would you? I sure will not unless I think the battery is getting weak. Some people however just do not care about warranty - I have completely disassembled and rebuilt several new detectors just for the heck of it. The bottom line here is people have been spreading crazy rumors about unservicability and the Equinox being a throwaway detector. Maybe this will put some of that to rest. Thanks.

For sure this put my mind on ease Steve, from now on, I just go in the field with one of those big Vapor smokers,and if my battery quits just use the battery of my big vapor smoker. Only created an other problem for myself. Now I can't smoke! So what is more important smoking or detecting?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

If you can unscrew 5 allen head screws and use a pair of needle nose pliers, you got it whipped :) The whole process can be done before a pot of coffee brews, including the installation process. :ph34r:

Your right, easy peasy ,and always don't forget to put a little bit of silicone grease on the seal. This prevent the seal from drying out,and prevent leaks in the future.

The problem I see if someone decides to change the battery on their own with a third party battery is the wires with the plastic connector on the original battery are more than likely welded onto the original battery terminals.  You will need the connector from the original battery to use with the third party battery.  The green Panasonic battery doesn't have any wires or connector.  Soldering the wires cut off from the original battery to the replacement will likely damage the battery's internal seals in the process because of the heat.  Any battery replacement done at home should probably use the battery sold by Minelab to be safe.

• Like 1

I tend to rotate detectors as the warranty nears the end, especially if they have a transferable warranty. I like to sell them used with a month or two of remaining warranty as it gets me top price. I then get either the same machine new again, or a newer version has appeared and I get it. I have no doubt my battery will be just fine until I sell the machine in about three years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I tend to rotate detectors as the warranty nears the end, especially if they have a transferable warranty. I like to sell them used with a month or two of remaining warranty as it gets me top price. I then get either the same machine new again, or a newer version has appeared and I get it. I have no doubt my battery will be just fine until I sell the machine in about three years.

I just did that with my CTX, 6 months warranty left and did just fine on the price. The battery on the old CTX was holding a very good charge after 2.5 years.  I'm sure you know I took the battery out of the EQ simply because I got sick and tired of the BS everywhere. If Minelab would have stepped up to the plate and addressed the concerns being voice, then some nucklehead  like me wouldn't have to do it. I will say, it shut the naysayers up, but, we all know,  some people will find something else to bitch about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TedinVT said:

The problem I see if someone decides to change the battery on their own with a third party battery is the wires with the plastic connector on the original battery are more than likely welded onto the original battery terminals.  You will need the connector from the original battery to use with the third party battery.  The green Panasonic battery doesn't have any wires or connector.  Soldering the wires cut off from the original battery to the replacement will likely damage the battery's internal seals in the process because of the heat.  Any battery replacement done at home should probably use the battery sold by Minelab to be safe.

I haven't really spent much time on the batteries because I don't think it'll be an issue for years but they do make 26650 batteries with solder tabs....

Back in my previous life for 15 yrs I was an electronic repair technician for an oem I know how to do things right! 

Screenshot_2018-02-19-09-18-24.png

Then there's the whole “where does the third wire go? (shown in some of the photos of the battery and the down-the-handle photo).