Ground Balance My Vaquero

I just havent been able to find the sweet spot on my vaquero ground balance the last couple times i used it cant seem to find that constant hum, either to negative or to positive, can someone help me out?

Hey Fish!.  I have had that issue a few times with my Vaquero.  I can only speculate as to why, but when it happens, I walk to a different area and ground balance there.  I usually find the sweet spot then hunt a bit negative anyway, so if I can get close to even, and turn it back 1/8 to 1/4 turn... and I'm good to go.    I have noticed a time or two I will try to ground balance on top of a target (or near to one) and have to move around in AM to find a good clean spot to level it out.    Hope that helps.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

Thanks, something im wondering is if the ground balance knob gets turned a few full turns either way will that really throw it off? And then would it need turned back the same amount of full turns? Lol im not saying i turn it full turns but what if my little boy turned it with out me knowing it, i mean i dont think he did but what if something like thats happens, do i need to just start turning full turns negative or positive depending on which way i need to go? Or is it only working from 9 oclock to 3 oclock, if what im saying makes since

1 hour ago, Fskafish said:

Thanks, something im wondering is if the ground balance knob gets turned a few full turns either way will that really throw it off? And then would it need turned back the same amount of full turns? Lol im not saying i turn it full turns but what if my little boy turned it with out me knowing it, i mean i dont think he did but what if something like thats happens, do i need to just start turning full turns negative or positive depending on which way i need to go? Or is it only working from 9 oclock to 3 oclock, if what im saying makes since

The ground balance knob is a 3 3/4 turn knob... so it could get out of whack if turned a few times around (your son playing for example... I completely understand, I have kids and you just never know what they find interesting to turn).  The Tesoro manual says to turn 5 turns counterclockwise, then turn back clockwise 2 turns to get it close to center.  The knob will spin endlessly, but you should feel a slight drag in the knob when it has maxed in one direction.  What I have found, is once I am at or near center... my ground will be within 1 turn to balance... and usually only a half or 3/4 a turn to find the sweet spot.  

Tim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you find yourself bumping and moving it accidentally while hunting, take the knob off and put an o-ring on that fits the shaft snugly then reinstall the knob snug against the o-ring. Adds enough resistance to keep it from being easily misadjusted. I'm a klutz and was always bumping it on my Outlaw. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fskafish said:

U answered that perfect that is exactly what i wanted to know thanks tiftaaft

Happy to share anything I can... I love the Vaquero.  It is a power horse in a discreet little package and is sneaky deep when set up right.  And Tesoro discriminates iron as good or better than any machine I have used. 

I am interested to hear about how it performs for you! 

Happy Hunting.  Tim.

I got into the hobby back in about 2010 and i had i pioneer 505 i believe it was and wanted to upgrade but because i dont know anyone else who metal detects i thought i need a detector thats as capable as other quality machines but it needs to be simple so i researched forever and the tesoros just kept coming up so i went for it and have loved this machine every since i of course went back to my old spots that i used the 505 on and it was like going to new ground and i have dug targets consistently 8 plus inches with ease, i learned the machine pretty quick because of its ease to use and i learned to super tune as well, i sometimes cant believe how deep this thing will find targets, i bought an AT pro and its a great detector but shhhh quiet when i say this i still find myself pulling out the ole vaquero more times then not. I jusf cant put the thing down and move on i have so much confidence in it

• Like 2

I also had an AT Pro early in my metal detecting days.  The stability of the Tesoro (especially when compared to the AT Pro... at least in my soil) made it a no brainer for me.  I'm gearing up for the Equinox, but it has big shoes to fill.. depth, stability, discrimination, and even id (though with the Vaq, it is a thumb know id).  Can't say enough about the Tesoro Vaq.