Equinox Readout - Don't Reject 100 Yr Old Indian Head Cents

There are so many newer users to some of the digital readout  detectors who are getting the Equinox and even new 1st time buyers of a detector, you need to know.

This is not an Equinox flaw..it is with most detectors I have tested.  When hunting parks or even old yards and you decide to reject the common US 1 cent, it is zinc and not copper.  So yes it would seen to be wise to do so...as you can still find the older copper wheat back cents....YES....Not so fast my friend.

Many of the really old Indian Head Cents read the same as a zinc cent and even a few of the early teens wheat backs do as well on many machines.

So here is the TRICK from a salty dawg.  I accept zinc cents and Use the DEPTH INDICATOR to see if it is shallow or deep.  Very seldom will a zinc cent be deep as the older copper coins and especially the IH cents.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

Believe it or not, but in 9 hrs of hunting, I haven't dug a zinc yet :)

You're just not trying hard enough yet. :laugh:

I was out today and hit a copper penny at 8".. Was a 1946. I knew it was copper because of the strong signal I got at that depth. Most of the clad pennies are no more than 4" deep

1 minute ago, Norm S said:

I was out today and hit a copper penny at 8".. Was a 1946. I knew it was copper because of the strong signal I got at that depth. Most of the clad pennies are no more than 4" deep

Hey Norm, what are zincs hitting at?