Why Only 50 Points Of Vdi?

Xergix

First post. Old thread.

just got a nox800. Upgraded from a simplex which has a 0-99 scale.

On air tests, nox is marginally better than simplex. It also discriminates iron better than Simplex.

My immediate feeling is that the stacking of ID into just 40 non ferrous slots will take some getting used to. As a more audio driven detectorist, having 50 tones seems to offset the VDI stacking though.

Nox definitely gives signals on my permission that the simplex certainly missed. The stability with noise cancellation also means that an EMI affected field is now searchable. 

If I can get past the VDI stacking, then I think me and the Nox will get along fine.

4 hours ago, Ddni said:

First post. Old thread.

just got a nox800. Upgraded from a simplex which has a 0-99 scale.

On air tests, nox is marginally better than simplex. It also discriminates iron better than Simplex.

My immediate feeling is that the stacking of ID into just 40 non ferrous slots will take some getting used to. As a more audio driven detectorist, having 50 tones seems to offset the VDI stacking though.

Nox definitely gives signals on my permission that the simplex certainly missed. The stability with noise cancellation also means that an EMI affected field is now searchable. 

If I can get past the VDI stacking, then I think me and the Nox will get along fine.

Good luck and enjoy.  It's a personnel preference thing that can never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction just like the straight shaft vs  "S" shaft debate.

Some folks prefer the precision and target ID separation that comes with an expanded scale others prefer the target ID stability and repeatability that comes from the compressed scale.

You hit the nail on the head, though.  There is a ton of target info in the audio, especially in 50 tones than can ever be discerned from a 1 or 2 digit number.

• Like 2

Thanks Chase. Learning the machine, still in the dig everything that doesn't grunt mindset.

Looking  forwards to when my skills and confidence have grown so I can discern signals before the available daylight runs out. 😉

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 1:15 PM, EL NINO77 said:

Equinox can use 1-4  wireles  audio ouputs at once,-in 50 tone, so it will not be a problem to use some spectral sound analyzer in a mobile phone ... even though a good sound signal is being heard ... and then VDI...

I've never seen this done, is it possible? Is it even useful? I'm wondering if there is a hidden realm of audio discrimination here or if the human brain is already good enough. I'd be curious to see this experiment.

15 hours ago, ShintoSunrise said:

I've never seen this done, is it possible? Is it even useful? I'm wondering if there is a hidden realm of audio discrimination here or if the human brain is already good enough. I'd be curious to see this experiment.

Sure, it can be done. Is it useful, or even convenient or cost effective? Probably not.  For one thing you would have to purchase a second WM08 for anywhere from $100 min used to $259 full priced new.  Then how would you correlate/calibrate the spectrum analyzer to the infinite number of possible target patterns, mount the cell phone, etc. (For one thing, a cell phone mounted near the control head will cause unacceptable EMI).  My detecting time is way too short and precious for this other than as an intellectual curiosity.  Another way to look at this is that in the 3 years since this was posted, no one has bothered to try it and post the results from what I can tell.