Why Only 50 Points Of Vdi?

Xergix

In most high-end metals detectors, the number of vdi points that can be displayed is 100 or more, why is Equinox scaling reduced to 50 points?
What problems could arise from this compression?
Less selectivity and more chance to dig trash?
Perhaps I-Q allowed this compression for greater selectivity?
Have they reduced the points to get more VDI stability?
I have not yet got my hands on Equinox but I plan to do some testing to see if this compression brings disadvantage in the search.
What do you think?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

It depends on your point of view. You could argue Minelab has expanded the range based on the detectors it is directly replacing. This is one of those pictures say it all things. Bottom line - nearly twice the target id resolution as the X-Terra 705 (50 versus 28 segments), with each segment independently notchable (a new word definition?). Personally I think this is a good compromise between resolution and target id stability. I have had no issues regarding this in actual use of the detector and I can’t say that doubling the amount of scrolling and notching would result in better finds for me. But that’s just me. No doubt there are some that would like more resolution, and if so alternatives exist to the Equinox. My V3i has 190 points of resolution and if I recall correctly the CTX has 1750 separate id points.

The target IDs range from -9 to 40 arranged in an arc for better on screen visibility. The arc is divided into what I am calling "zones" (my term - I don't know what if anything Minelab calls them) for easier identification. When you notch in and out the segment will flash and the target id number will display so no worries knowing where you are.

minelab-x-terra-305-505-705-target-segment-comparison.jpg
The X-Terra 705 above has 4 ferrous numbers, and 24 non-ferrous. The Equinox expands on this significantly, to 10 ferrous, and 40 non-ferrous.

minelab-equinox-target-segment-map.jpg

minelab-equinox-preliminary-target-id-numbers.jpg

minelab-target-id-chart-manual-enhanced.jpg

minelab-equinox-notch-discrimination.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most or maybe all American made detectors have the ID numbers on the high end of the spectrum. Minelab stops at the lower end but in all reality American made ones could do the same.

It could be less for the number of coins you had in the country where you live. We’ve got to remember we need some numbers for all the trash and too gold falls in the same category as trash.

I’m left handed but I swing a detector with my right.So I guess you could say I’m ambidextrous . So if the detector had high or low numbers it’s all the same to me.haha

Chuck

Thanks Steve for the answer, I write from Italy, as you know we have different targets than the US, small coins hammered, devotional medals, and as the current currency the euro, already in the past with F75 I had problems because the range of our targets it was too tight, this made you dig a lot of trash, my concern is that this can happen also for equinox.

I dig lots of trash with any detector I have ever owned. It’s just part of the process and the secret to making the best finds. When I was in the U.K. I simply dug every non-ferrous target and I was using the F75 at the time. If I was to go back to the U.K. with Equinox I would do the same thing.

• Like 6

You want to talk target ID?

I love my V3i......

• Like 2

True, in field hunting the VDI may be less important, better a good tone, I always liked the two tones of the MXT, I also use it on DEUS, but on the beach a precise VDI helps and speeds up the search, EQUINOX has no visualization graphics like CTX where you can see the signal track, as well as in DEUS, a leaping VDI is an indication of the presence of trash, more points of VDI more possibilities to understand what's underneath.
Probably with 50 points of VDi a greater stability but more possibility of digging trash, even if we all know that by digging everything we have more chances of nice surprises.

Equinox can use 1-4  wireles  audio ouputs at once,-in 50 tone, so it will not be a problem to use some spectral sound analyzer in a mobile phone ... even though a good sound signal is being heard ... and then VDI...

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 10:03 AM, Xergix said:

In most high-end metals detectors, the number of vdi points that can be displayed is 100 or more, why is Equinox scaling reduced to 50 points?
What problems could arise from this compression?
Less selectivity and more chance to dig trash?
Perhaps I-Q allowed this compression for greater selectivity?
Have they reduced the points to get more VDI stability?
I have not yet got my hands on Equinox but I plan to do some testing to see if this compression brings disadvantage in the search.
What do you think?

I would say you hit the nail on the head--50 scale = stability--but not much definition.   Lot of stacking too. There's a saying in the software industry:  "that's not a bug--its a feature"--meaning that there's a lot of information to be had from a "wild" VDI screen, but many just aren't ready for it.   Can't beat the good old XLT scale but with the Eq's high gain it would be a jumble. 

cjc

• Thanks 1

I don't see anyone who actually has an Equinox complaining about the VID scale.  How much resolution do you think is absolutely necessary (give examples of stacked targets that would make a difference on a dig/no dig decision)?  I don't have the Equinox yet but do have a 00-99 point scale Deus.  I dig primarily by tone and use VID as kind of a user aid backup not as a primary dig/no dig indicator.  Looking for high conductor/borderline high conductor/solid-mid conductor and ferrous.  Gold can fall anywhere around the mid-conductors (and so can aluminum trash) so I make a decision to dig (Deus) based on tone quality (not just pitch which is related to VID, but what does the tone sound like).  How does having more resolution help?  Just trying to learn. I think if I had resolution to be able to tell between a Jefferson, a War Nickel, and Buffalo, I would still just dig them all because they would be all solid coin tones and so what if they all read 13 or 50, 53, 55.  On Deus a bent pull tab will ring up here too but the tone is unmistakable as trash.  I don't really use the full scale on the Deus, I would be fine if it were 5 point increments, frankly.  Please help me understand the advantage.  Thanks.