Why Only 50 Points Of Vdi?

Xergix

Some people prefer more targeted results. Some people don’t mind digging more as it reveals finds others miss. People are doing different things with detectors and what suits one person won’t suit another. In fact what one person considers a weakness another will regard as a strength. So far there is no one size fits all.

I already posted a link that describes the trades being made - here it is again  resolution and target id stability.

DCD9BDD3-BDFB-4F35-8FDC-3FDF883D573E.jpeg

• Like 2

Delving further into the whole sound vs. visual thing (vs. purely increased visual ID resolution).  I guess if anything, I would opt for a visual aid like on some detectors, that displays a confidence indicator rather than more resolution and even then that would still not tell the whole audio story and can be redundant to observing lack of TID stability.  A target ID of XX can be nickel or a pull tab or a gold ring.  And in the case of the pull tab and ring they can hover around the nickel number depending on size, purity, and shape.   Giving more resolution does not necessarily help for the Ring and Pull Tab.  Sure they can be unstacked, but since they can move around depending on their characteristics what more are you learning about the target from the higher resolution?  The sound quality (not just tone but sonic clues like edge distortion, scratchiness, warbling, etc.) is what gives me the most telling dig information and that cannot be emulated very well visually on a basic fixed icon LCD display.  Learning what the sound is telling me is the thing that generally presents the steepest learning curve for me with a new detector.  It does not take long to learn the numbers but they can't always tell the whole story.

I recognize this is a personal "how you hunt" style thing, just putting out there why higher visual ID resolution wouldn't necessarily help me, but that's why I am putting what I do out there so perhaps I can learn how it CAN help and not just a you say to-ma-to, I say to-mah-to argument. Thanks.

The Equinox will arrive soon and can't wait to get out there and learn those tones.  Hoping they are as expressive as Deus.  I know this is starting to deviate slightly from the main point of the thread but it is related to the question of "Why only..."   Steve or any other Equinox users who also have used the Deus, I would appreciate any comments on the audio ID part of the ID equation for the Equinox and how it compares, especially in 50 tones.  Thanks.

Steve thanks for the link to the TID comparison.

• Like 1

Tones or ID, ? initially I considered tones was the go, then I took the RC on my Deus and put it in a wrist band (mobile phone one) on the left wrist so as it can watched more closely whilst swinging. Now I go by both tones and ID, be even better if I could mount the CTX screen on the wrist, as its Fe & Co ID with target trace seems much more accurate to me. I am talking about park hunting where the less digs the better.

Also not having a Nox as yet I am off thread a wee bit but it sure is our individual hunting styles that make ones MDs weakness another's strength and vice-versa.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 1:15 PM, EL NINO77 said:

Equinox can use 1-4  wireles  audio ouputs at once,-in 50 tone, so it will not be a problem to use some spectral sound analyzer in a mobile phone ... even though a good sound signal is being heard ... and then VDI...

Ive began experimenting with mobile phone sound analysis myself. There's no shortage of apps for this and it's going to be an interesting experiment 

• Like 3

I have an Equinox and I don't have a problem with 50 point scaling. The tones seem to be a big key to this particular detector. That's not to say the scale isn't important but, at least for me, I haven't found it to be a hindrance.

• 1 year later...

-9 to +40 =50 target ID segments and 50 tones.

Jeff

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nhgoldprospector said:

40 VDI on the Equinox.

50 Tones.

Nope - it‘s -9 to 40

edit: Jeff has been quicker 

• Like 1

nhgoldprospector keep posting. If you have a Nox 800 it is great for prospecting small gold especially with the 6" coil.

Welcome to this very friendly forum!!!!!

Jeff