Eq 800 On Its Way, Now Which Pointer Should I Get?

Lighthouse

I have the Garrett carrot and think it does a great job.  Worked well wading and detecting in fresh water.  My next purchase is going to be the "Land or Sea" pointer as I have great interest in snorkeling and scuba.  That pointer is PI behaves SIMILARLY to the Garrett and is water resistant up to 30 feet.  Good luck with your purchase!  

3 hours ago, NuggetBuddy said:

Thank's everyone for your feedback. So... all roads at this point are "pointing" to the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, but for a really weird reason; the fact that it's bright orange. At some point, I'm going to set this thing down and forget it, or its going to fall off my tool vest without me knowing it. The bright orange is just going to make all that much easier to recover. HOWEVER...    

... this does concern me. How did you own them before they started to fail?

6-8 months. I hunt a lot though but I’m not particularly hard on my equipment. My ground is not mineralized like others according to my detectors I use. Garrett’s are great but I’ve had better results with my MI6 and the 90 hours run time is key for me. No running into 7/11 to spend $5 on a 9v because I forgot to check on the battery. 

3 hours ago, strick said:

I recently bought a Whites TRX...used it one day and placed it back in my spare bag....not a sensitive as the Carrot.

Did you change the gain?  There's a YouTube video which shows how to do this.  Here it is.  (I'll also post in the White's sub-forum.) 

Unfortunately the meager operating instructions that came with my Bullseye TRX (that's the official name :smile:) didn't tell me how to do that.  It's not as easy as changing the gain on the ProPointer A/T (aka 'Garrett Carrot').

IMO, the front tip of the TRX is more sensitive than the Carrot when both are at max gain.  (The Carrot has more sensitivity along its side than at its front tip, as most know.)  I also like the way the pulsed audio signal increases in frequency all they way up until you actually touch the target.  I can get a good idea how much deeper I have to dig as long as I'm close enough (2 1/2 to 3 inches) to get a signal.

@Nuggetbuddy -- the TRX comes in multiple colors, including orange.

Both are excellent pointers, IMO, and it really comes down to personal preference.  Further, if I didn't already have both I'd be strongly considering the new Fisher/Teknetics pulse induction units.  For now I'm sticking with what I have and any extra $ will be going to coils....

• Like 2

Thanks for the vid It was a while ago and to be honest I cant remember if I did or not. I'll get it out and test it again. I mainly have it for back up but if I can get it to be a s sensitive on the tip as you say then I might use it instead of the Garrets. The Garret can be annoying sometimes at max sensitivity you have to turn it down to find the target when in high trash nails etc.  To be honest I would rather have just the tip putting out then the sides as usually I have a pretty good idea where the target is before I dig. Hitting a old homesite tomorrow that I have not detected before and to my knowledge nobody else has. Both pointers are going :smile: Thanks for that. 

strick

9 hours ago, Skate said:

6-8 months. I hunt a lot though but I’m not particularly hard on my equipment. My ground is not mineralized like others according to my detectors I use. Garrett’s are great but I’ve had better results with my MI6 and the 90 hours run time is key for me. No running into 7/11 to spend $5 on a 9v because I forgot to check on the battery. 

So how long have you had your MI-6?

13 minutes ago, NuggetBuddy said:

So how long have you had your MI-6?

since the end of September. It's worked flawless to this point. 

On 2/23/2018 at 10:29 AM, relicmeister said:

But has anyone yet tried using it with the Nox? I'm still obnoxiously waiting for mine. 

yes, it works fine, no interference.

It gets 110mm on an Aussie $2 coin on highest setting but can be turned down if less is required.

I am partial to my Nokta pinpointer. I've only had it for awhile, but have heard they are long lived, and it seems to be very rugged. Also, with the digger cover it is bright orange.

My fisher F pulse has gone back to the factory for repairs, so can't evaluate that yet.

I have the Garret Carrot and the Deteknix, but vastly prefer the Whites TRS--more depth and it is sensitive only from the tip, making it much easier, at least for me, to find coins in the hole.  But, be sure you google the instructions people have posted concerning how to adjust its settings.  The printed manual in the box does not tell you everything.