First Beach Hunt And My Thoughts " Rings Too "

Nuke em

Well i got my new 800 yesterday and after fitting it out onto my Anderson shaft and lower Terra 705 rod i got up early this morning for a 5am start . I stayed on the beach till around 9.30am .

When i got there i saw that the beach looked good , i was expecting a poor beach after the last search look bad . And hoped for a Gold ring .

Anyway i got started and i noticed i wasn't really getting that much depth , it was in Beach 1 mode and i put it into 50 tones and upped sens to 24 . Tested it in the water and all was fine there .But i wasn't getting that much depth . Another real disappointment was the headphones , they are the same low muffled tone of the Koss which i hated and never bought with any of my Minelab's after my first 2 Explorer's way back. They give such poor sound that everything sounds deep and i could not hear anything below around 8 inches ! and even large Aluminium was sounding quieter than normal at that depth . 

Anyway i kept going and even though there seemed to be a lack of deep targets i was getting plenty of shallower targets . Lots of coinage and some old Pennies and knackered Half pennies , even had 5 unidentified foreign coins and 2.20 Euros . I was able to find a Silver ring next to iron nails and had a steel ring and a junker too but no Gold this time .

I cannot say i am very impressed yet with the Equinox . I am going to have to get a couple of 3/8 to 1/4 inch adaptors for my own Gray Ghost headphones and see how they are with this machine . I wont be using the ones supplied again if i can help it . 

Dont want to seem too negative but maybe its because i have had too little sleep lately and not studied the machine fully . It was done on the red eye today .

Next week i hope to have adaptors , if not i will use my Explorer 11 for Thursday next . 

Really hope my fears are unfounded .

I cannot download a picture , keeps failing . 

• Like 2

I haven't paired them . They are cable run direct . Too busy to get too involved in techy stuff at the moment . Bloody knackered from too little sleep . Got up at 8am on Tuesday started work at 2pm till 12.25am Wednesday then got my gear and hit the beach till 8am then to Detecnicks 40 miles away to pick up the Equinox then back home by 3pm , had 5 hours sleep last night then to the beach again for 5am till 8am then other things to do after that . Damn i have work for 6 days now . ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Maybe bring the recovery speed and iron bias down, if you want depth and there is not too much trash.  I plan on hitting a cleaner beach Saturday for my 2nd hunt.  I am going to bring the speed and iron down to the lowest settings on the 600 to see what kind of depth it can achieve.  I am liking the aptx earbuds (separate purchase) that go directly in ear...granted you wont be able to hunt in the water above the control/handle.  They are plenty loud.  Let us know how your next hunts go after your work schedule.

I think i have to learn the machine more . No idea where everything is yet . Too late tonight to get a look . Work in 9 hours.

Even though the headphones are plugged in I believe you still have to turn them on with the power button. Equinox in no way lacks for volume and my guess is you are listening to the external speaker with headphones on. You were probably better off without them on!

My honest advice is get more rest and make sure you get the machine at least properly operational before jumping into it. Not faulting you for working hard or being tired but it’s not the best way to learn a new detector.

Image upload issues are almost always an internet connection and timeout problem if the images are extremely large. Reducing the image size will most likely solve the issue.

29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Even though the headphones are plugged in I believe you still have to turn them on with the power button. Equinox in no way lacks for volume and my guess is you are listening to the external speaker with headphones on. You were probably better off without them on!

My honest advice is get more rest and make sure you get the machine at least properly operational before jumping into it. Not faulting you for working hard or being tired but it’s not the best way to learn a new detector.

Image upload issues are almost always an internet connection and timeout problem if the images are extremely large. Reducing the image size will most likely solve the issue.

I am totally lost on the settings .

You should be - it’s a new detector. Slow down, stay home and bench test until you get the basics figured out. Obviously you need to be sure you have the headphones working. There is no need to use anything but defaults while learning. Try Beach 1 first, and if too noisy try Beach 2.

I understand everyone is excited but for gosh sake please take the time to do a bit of study before heading out unless being frustrated is the goal. The main goal initially should be learning the detector, not jumping straight to instant expectations of top performance.

Equinox Instruction Manual

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

I am totally lost on the settings .

Nuke em . Go to bed and have a big sleep and when you wake up refreshed you will be a happy  Equinox camper .? I haven't been able to get out much as I'm dog sitting two spoils Westies but I have been playing with settings learning stuff which in hind site is good . Now go to sleep

• Like 2