Jonathan Porter Talks Equinox And Gold Nuggets

Dan(NM)

“My involvement with EQUINOX has been purely around the Gold Mode, leaving the testing of the coin & treasure modes (Park, Field, Beach) to the experts in these areas. Typically, a general-purpose metal detector has a token gold (or prospecting) mode with much lesser performance than a dedicated VLF gold detector. Not so with the EQUINOX 800…”

https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-the-gold-hunter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is an optimistic article for us gold hunters to look through. It looks as though the Equinox may do quite well if used in the right conditions and areas. It has it's own language and it'll be fun to learn to translate it.

20 hours ago, ophirboy said:

There’s only one thing worse than finding the tool you bought at the hardware last week is now half price . It’s minelab releasing a new gold detector and then making it redundant 6 months later.

What's been made redundant? Maybe the Xterra, definitely not the GM. I love the Equinox because it is so versatile, it ticks a lot of boxes for me, but I still own my GM 1000 and have no plans to sell it any time soon, it's too good a machine to get rid of it. 

JP

• Like 4

Yeah I do also but let’s face it - most people are still waiting for the detector. I am still waiting for a small coil for my GPZ and it’s been three years now.

My thoughts may change after I nugget hunt with the Equinox more and after I make full cover skid plates for the stock and 6” coils. I figure I will have a better grip on all that by the end of summer.

• Like 1

Having seen the impact chirp technology has had on the recreational marine sounder market I believe this technology in detectors will have the same  impact on market preference . As good as the GM is in what it does , it’s a shame that minelab has introduced this quantum shift in technology so soon after releasing the GM . The monster may be a good choice for countries like Africa where ruggedness and simplicity where forefront in market aims , I just think that designers were a bit late replacing the eureka knowing that this technology was already on the table. On the plus side for those of us who have purchased a Gold Monster they do look to have a much more robust design for knocking around in the goldfields, a more convenient battery set up , and a choice of large and small coils rugged enough to bash between cracks and crevices as well as great boosted audio for identifying those small pieces. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ophirboy said:

Having seen the impact chirp technology has had on the recreational marine sounder market I believe this technology in detectors will have the same  impact on market preference . As good as the GM is in what it does , it’s a shame that minelab has introduced this quantum shift in technology so soon after releasing the GM . The monster may be a good choice for countries like Africa where ruggedness and simplicity where forefront in market aims , I just think that designers were a bit late replacing the eureka knowing that this technology was already on the table. On the plus side for those of us who have purchased a Gold Monster they do look to have a much more robust design for knocking around in the goldfields, a more convenient battery set up , and a choice of large and small coils rugged enough to bash between cracks and crevices as well as great boosted audio for identifying those small pieces. 

The only thing I do not like of the GM 1000 is that you can't use it under water. If Minelab would have made the GM also as a under water unit , I would have bought one! That's why if Minelab comes out with a closed 5 x 10 "" coil it can replace the GM 1000 and makes it more versatile and can be used for under water nugget shooting!

• Like 1