Jonathan Porter Talks Equinox And Gold Nuggets

Dan(NM)

The GM is semi submersible  and so has some use in shallow areas up to the control housing. But certainly the equinox can take a full dip , this like waterproof cell phones also has its disadvantages when it comes to useability , some equinox owners are already bemoaning the fact that the batteries are completely ensconsed inside the control unit unlike the GM  making it harder to replace or service , 

• Like 1

Well the unit certainly protests if you bash them but they can take it physically. I,m a lot more gentle on mine and having the little coil on the GM makes it easier , I guess the coil range and availability will ultimately decide how many current single frequency users swap to the new multi frequency units . I can’t see Minelab making any further units that don’t have multi iq technology

• Like 1

Jonathan made some points in the blog that were very true for me in regards to the Equinox.  To me it is a great sounding gold machine.  You can adjust the threshold and the single frequency target response is very nice.  He did make a note that you have to take some of the initial positive ID numbers and dig based upon that.  It does want to jump after you start digging.  My settings and ground were not as good as Jonathan's but I feel like what Steve has said that the Equinox can find gold smaller than the 7000/14 (if you want it).  When I used the Equinox yesterday on areas where I had found many nuggets before I could imagine it finding lots of gold that is already gone.  I have no reason to buy a Monster now.  I might even consider selling my 2300 because it is a pain to use and the 800 is easy.

Mitchel

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I feel like what Steve has said that the Equinox can find gold smaller than the 7000/14 (if you want it)

Easily. GPZ is amazing but it does have even its own limits on the tiniest stuff. And in my opinion Multi-IQ can exceed Gold Monster performance but a coil set just for prospectors is critical to making it an even battle. Right this moment however if I was looking for a larger nugget, like couple gram plus I would probably opt for the Equinox with 11” round DD coil over the Gold Monster with 6” x 11” coil because just the coil size alone will be giving me an edge. And when the 12” x 15” coil hits the ground in milder soils it should be no contest at all in favor of Equinox on larger nuggets. To a large degree Gold Monster versus Equinox for nugget detecting is going to be a battle of the coils. I actually have little doubt that Minelab will not waste any more resources on single frequency detector designs and since I want to push the technology forward I will be using Equinox for nugget detecting even if it might not be my best option, just so I can learn it, provide feedback, and get the future here sooner. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

There are a few things that I love about both detectors, the GM is designed for ease of use and does that job brilliantly with the ability for more aggressive sensitivity if required. Probably the 2 best things I love about the GM is the solid coils and the Auto Sensitivity, I'm not a real fan of zero threshold but it does allow the GM to be used in some pretty terrible ground. That ability is a compromise though because the zero threshold is acting like a filter essentially filtering out good info which then harks me back to the auto sensitivity+ aspect of the GM 1000 which does an amazing job behind the scenes.

Equinox goes about things in manner I love, pure horsepower with full control for the driver if they dare. There is however a side to the Equinox that is unique and to be honest is hard to nail down. Multi-IQ is hard to describe, the only way I can really analogize it is to say its kind of like digital audio compared to analogue audio, there is a smoothness to Multi-IQ that is very Analogue like to the ear, a rounding or evening out, kind of like someone filling in all the gaps to smooth out the ride. Because of that behavior I can then step into a horsepower mindset with the EQ800 that is simply fascinating. 

Please keep in mind I am comparing apples with apples, the EQ is in no way a MPS or ZVT beater. It has it place with high frequency VLF type detectors and should only be compared to them, especially in variable mineralised ground. In the right locations the EQ800 and GM1000 are good fun and will find tiny pickers the other techs just will not see, learn to target those locations and you have the gold that's available all to yourself. The key is selecting the right locations and using the units where they perform best.

JP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think that coils can possibly be made for these machines that are more knock resistant and max gain levels, but anyone that thinks that is an easy task needs to talk to a detector engineer more.

Steve, do you know of a place I could learn a bit more about coil design and benefits of various designs?  I don't want to study for a degree in electrical engineering or quantum physics, but would like to know more than, here is a pic of some copper windings and a wire that goes to the control box.

Actually, I would like a degree in quantum physics and ee, but who has time for that???  :tongue:

16 hours ago, MarXthespot said:

Steve, do you know of a place I could learn a bit more about coil design and benefits of various designs?  I don't want to study for a degree in electrical engineering or quantum physics, but would like to know more than, here is a pic of some copper windings and a wire that goes to the control box.

Actually, I would like a degree in quantum physics and ee, but who has time for that???  :tongue:

Carl Moreland’s Geotech Website & Forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I have read here the coil  noise problem seems to be confined in the main to detectors that are being used in milder soils where users have the opportunity to run the unit into the hot sensitivity zone , the instructions that come with the GM clearly state that using high manual sensitivity settings may not be possible for all conditions and for my areas , and I would guess a lot of goldfields especially in Victoria (AUS) the mineralization is so bad that even Auto plus setting is going to struggle . So for a lot of us Aussie owners the coil noise is not an issue. So for you guys in the US and other milder locations it’s either a glass half full situation or glass half empty. But personally I wish sometimes I could ramp the unit up a bit and put up with a bit of coil noise . 

• Like 1

Gotta ask John, if the Gold Bug 2 will do just as well on your ground and your gold why put up with the noise? Just use the Gold Bug 2. I prefer the Gold Monster for my situation but it differs from yours. I can’t figure out why you persevere with the Monster. Given all you describe I would not so I must be missing something.

I would suspect a GPZ small coil would make it all a moot discussion. The sensitivity of the GPZ to small gold with the stock coil has been well proven and I have to believe a small coil would be hotter yet if they can make it small enough.

Anyway, back to Equinox and gold. For a VLF it is a true gold performer and I have to think any new VLF gold detectors we see from Minelab would be based on Multi-IQ. And no matter the machine, maybe Minelab can put some of their technology magic to work on new VLF coil designs. It is pointless to have great detectors if the coils end up being the weak point.

• Like 2