Maybe some of you already know about this and have the phone to support it. I have one of the flip phones that nobody wants to steal, so it really amazes me. On his phone he dials up google earth map and it instantly it brings up the boundaries, acreage and name & address of the owner.

It would be fantastic to have the same ap for claims, showing owner and boundaries, no more accidental trespassing.

• Like 2

Real property doesn't change ownership much and the boundaries stay the same unless it's property that is subdivided.  How ever, I have a claim here in Alaska and I know that claim ownership changes lots more than real property.  People staking new claims sometimes stake their boundaries over another claim, sometimes by accident and sometime on purpose.   Also if you don't do your paperwork that is required, the State , if it's a State claim, or the Feds, if it's on Federal land, can and will take your claim away from you.  I know that the State of Alaska all ready has a data base for it's claims, but it's not available as a phone ap.  It's a great idea, but it would require a lot of work and upkeep by each state.

• Like 2

OnX Hunt is the phone app that has overlays for state, forest service, blm, private properties and gives land ownership information. The company is based in Missoula MT and I spoke with them last week. They said it lists patented claims but not registered claims. I told her it would be a huge market boost for her company it they included registered claims. She typed in some info on her computer and they can access the info of LR2000 and upload claim info for each state. She will have a meeting with the other owners of this company and she feels it will be beneficial to add it to the app and it is not a difficult problem for them to include it. I will keep everyone posted.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, goldseeker4000 said:

OnX Hunt is the phone app that has overlays for state, forest service, blm, private properties and gives land ownership information. The company is based in Missoula MT and I spoke with them last week. They said it lists patented claims but not registered claims. I told her it would be a huge market boost for her company it they included registered claims. She typed in some info on her computer and they can access the info of LR2000 and upload claim info for each state. She will have a meeting with the other owners of this company and she feels it will be beneficial to add it to the app and it is not a difficult problem for them to include it. I will keep everyone posted.

I too have found and use this app.  It’s pretty good.  I can’t imagine the undonting task it would be to keep up with the constant changing in mining claims.  For them to be able to list claim maps BLM would have to imput the maps provided to them into there system.  BLM isnt even on the same page from state to state when it comes to the type of maps required.  

• Like 1

Thank you Gold Seeker 4000! :biggrin: If that happens it will be a great assistance to those lost in this claim/not claimed morass :unsure: that we are currently in. It also will be good for current claim owners to better show their boundaries. If it does happen I will buy a smart phone and pay an instructor to help me use it.:smile:

WOW! I have been using OnX for years and if they added claim info it would be a must have for all prospectors and many metal detector enthusiasts. It already is in many ways but that would be over the top. Great job goldseeker - let’s hope they bite.

As many are aware and WesH is aluding to, the LR2000 does not have the claim boundaries, just the quarter sections. Getting the actual claim boundaries is much more of a headache, as they are on the claim maps, which are not online. Having the quarter section is helpful though, just not quite as much as it could be

• Like 1

Montana blm used to have a program called Montana cadastral. It had the GPS coordinates and also showed the claim boundaries. It was easy to use but to no big surprise they got rid of it and are using LR 2000. Heaven forbid if the government retained a user friendly web site. Hahaha.

If they could overlay claims down to the quarter section, like lr2000 lists, that would be sweet!  

Steve,

Has OnX kept you on public lands for the most part?

I've got a good GPS on my phone and it will let me download offline maps so even if I don't have cell service I can see where I am on roads and terrain.  If I have done my research before I go then I can go on to My Land Matters and put in points that are pretty accurate.  Another program I have has historical mine data that comes in easily on the phone so I can convert it to Google Maps and points if I want to.

Land Matters research includes a link to the county recorders office.  An individual claim can be looked up and the bounds of the claim have to be recorded by law.  This part I haven't done yet.

I've asked Clay if there are plans to make MLM phone friendly and he said a while back no.  Maybe that will change one day also.

Mitchel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Clay Diggins
      The BLM just raised mining claim location fees to $40.
      They also raised the annual maintenance fees to $165. That $165 applies to every 20 acres on a placer claim.
      These new fees take effect on September 1, 2019 at 12:01 a.m. If you have already paid your maintenance fees for the upcoming mining year you will still need to pony up the extra $10 per claim/20 acres.
      The BLM is saying they will send you a notice if you owe more than you have already paid. If they don't you still need to pay so I wouldn't be waiting around for that letter in the mail, just be prepared to pay up before September 1.
      This will give you an idea of how much the annual base maintenance fees per claim/size will be now.
      0-20 acre placer millsite, tunnel site or lode claim = $165
      20-40 acre placer claim = $330
      40-60 acre placer claim = $495
      60-80 acre placer claim = $660
      80-100 acre placer claim = $825
      100-120 acre placer claim = $990
      120-140 acre placer claim = $1155
      140-160 acre placer claim = $1320
      If you have 10 or fewer claims you may be eligible for the small miner's waiver. The fees are the same for the annual small miner filing $15 per claim no matter what size it is as long as you complete $100 worth of work on each claim.
      You can read the notice announcing these new fees in today's Federal Register.
    • By PG-Prospecting
      So with the possibility that i may be moving to New Mexico in a year or so, i have started to delve into researching gold mines and claims in New Mexico.  Ive figured out the whole BLM map and claim system fairly well, but what im wondering is, is there anyway to narrow down what spots are claimed.  Currently with the BLM system i can get it down to the quarter section, but that is still a very large area.  
      So say there are two 20 acre placer claims in the same quarter section, is there any way for me to know where they are in the quarter section before heading into the field?  Preferably online, but it sounds like the local BLM office will be the only place with that info.  
      Since i prospect in Virginia currently, the whole claim system is new to me, but so far seems fairly strait forward, and im already trying to find ground to fringe hunt around active and abandoned claims near where i would be moving.  
      I read the article about how to file a claim in the April 2019 issue of the ICMJ, but like i said that doesnt seem to narrow it down past the quarter section.  

Thanks for any and all help.  

• By Joe76
      G'day everybody,
      Just thought I would start a thread on making your own gold maps to better your chances at striking it rich or at least finding a bit of gold. If this topic has already been done before please let me know & I'll remove it. I can't find anything specific on making your maps on the forum. So what are the things available for us to use in making custom gold maps?  Geological maps, topographical maps, books such as Ghost & gold series, Department of mining websites, google earth etc...there is plenty of resources that we can use.  I live in sunny north QLD Australia, so any info I can share with you will be based on what we have available in our QLD. Every state in Australia has its own mining department along with (rules and regulations) that differ from state to state. 
      Department of Mines & Energy in QLD is the website I use to gather a lot of information, so far it has paid out very well in some areas. In particular small isolated gold occurrences. I often look around the fringes of existing gold fields looking for potential gold locations especially along fault lines with historical gold workings. The more remote the area the better, as there are fewer chances of modern detectors having worked the area in recent years.
      To get the ball rolling I thought I would just post a couple of pics of areas I have researched & marked out where I've found gold & see where it leads us. 

• By PG-Prospecting
      Finally got a video up that goes over  and shows some the uses and benefits of lidar maps for the gold prospector and metal detectorist.  I also delve into some drone usage stuff at the end of the video.  Let me know what you think, and if your interested in some feel free to contact me.  I will hopefully have a website up in the near future, when i do i will let everyone know here.  
      Thanks for watching!

• By kac
      Not sure if any of you knew of this site:
      https://www.historicaerials.com/
      They have a view that shows old photos back to 1938 and topos going way back. The viewer is slow but has nice reference as you can click through the dates and see changes. It is a little hard to see but you can see some old trails, lost foundations and even early farm fields that have either been built over or trees have grown in. I use it to find some spots and I plug the gps coordinates into my phone's gps.
    • By Clay Diggins
      We've been considering some additions to the map tools on Land Matters and would like user's feedback.
      Land area locations in the U.S. are typically described by their legal land description (PLSS). This is the only system that has been physically surveyed and has actual physical markers on the ground. That's why it's the system for legally describing land parcels.
      All the Land Matters maps have the PLSS included as a possible display item but a lot of people (military) have been trained to use a grid to describe actual ground locations. Graticules are very much like grids but they have the advantage of following the earth's curvature, unlike grid maps. Digital graticules are capable of increasing in resolution as you zoom in to an area. These are advantages of a graticule but the use of a graticule is just like using a grid.
      It's possible to use both the PLSS and a graticule when mapping so we thought we would see if some people would like the option of using a grid type mapping system. To that end I have included graticule layers on our historic places and ghost towns map to let folks try out this system and see if they would like these layers included on other Land Matters maps.
      If you have an interest give it a try at the Historic Places Map. You can read more about grids, graticules and their uses on our New Projects page.
      Let us know if you would like this feature added to the maps. It's a bunch of work to make those changes so we'll have to see some demand before we add these in.
      Barry