Equinox 800 Vs. Safari

Indiana Mark

I would like some input from those of you that have used the Equinox and have experience with the Safari/Etrac 

I have recently came across a gently used Safari with plenty of warranty left on it. Intrigued by FBS and all the talk of deep silver finds, real hard to not just pull the trigger on this one.

BUT, looks like my wait for the Equinox 800 may be coming to an end.

Would purchasing the Safari be redundant with the Eq 800 coming?    Will FBS technology provide something multi-IQ doesn't?

The Safari, Explorer and Etrac are heavier than the Equinox.  I always loved the audio on the three pre-equinox machines mentioned, but the weight caused me to sell.  But I liked the Explorer and Etrac a lot.  The Safari as well as the other two have a much slower response between targets than the Equinox.  They're not very good in heavy iron but they'll still find deep targets with practice.  They could be deeper in perfectly clean ground but you'll never find a clean area around old home sites.  As a conclusion I'll say from experience the Equinox has a more accurate "intelligent" TID in the trashy areas over all three.  And that's what convinced me in my ground and where I hunt.

• Like 3

I agree with all of marks comments. I sold my safari for the funds to preorder EQ but I also felt I would use it way less after I got the Nox, especially at homesites. The weight was a factor but less so

You need both :)  I have the Etrac, and I plan on getting the Equinox (and keeping the Etrac).  From what I have read in early reports from users, the Equinox is probably not as good on ID and depth numbers as the Etrac, but may more than make up for it in trashy areas with its better separation.  At least that's the hope. Also, the Equinox is waterproof.  If the Equinox is disappointing, I'll sell it.  In either case, I'm keeping the E-trac.

23 hours ago, Equinox1881 said:

I personally would recomend an etrac or ctx the nox is not finding much for me at all yet ive had it about two weeks and no silver yet i guess ill have to get my ctx out to find silver really disappointed in the nox so far

Good stuff.  Give me some concrete reasons to cancel my order.  I've been waiting for 5 months and you have given up on it in a little over two weeks.  Impressed the first day, not so much now.  What has turned you off?

Can you elaborate on what you have done with the Equinox in terms of baking it off against the CTX?  Sounds like you didn't bring the CTX along with you or do any test garden testing?

How did you have Equinox set up?  What modes were you using and why?  Did you trade off recovery speed in order to gain depth or just use stock settings?

What type of sites were you using it at?  Mineralization, trashy, old, cellar holes, old home sites, old parks, beach?  Why were you expecting to find silver there (but didn't)?  Did you find anything else?  Clad?

Do you think you have a handle on the Equinox after a week or two? Was it noisy?  Was it not separating trash?  Was it falsing on iron/trash or giving unreliable TIDs/Tones?

I presume that since you didn't "get your CTX out" you did not do any head-to-head testing against a known target to get a feel for the difference in target detectability were going by the "I should have found some silver by now" test?  Both valid approaches but I know which one would hold more sway with me.

I am begging someone to convince me to cancel my order because the agony of waiting is horrible and I would hate to get to the end and find bitter disappointment.

I will listen to any compelling argument with facts.  So far I have seen none to convince me not to take the plunge.

Need more info.  Thanks!

Indiana Mark,   The Equinox is not an FBS detector and Minelab has never stated it to be DEEPER or Better.

Those who dreamed of it going deeper than E-Trac or 3030 are not realistic.  We can not compare Apples to Oranges.

We can and are seeing some of the strong points of the Multi IQ technology.  Faster Recover, More Sensitivity to gold chains, bracelets, small jewelry or Micro Jewelry.  Much lighter detector is a big thing.  Wireless and the price point.

If you are after deeper silver coins I don't feel there is enough time out there to know for certain in all soils, salt/fresh water and mineralizations.  That will take time. 

I do know this.  My Safari is just as deep as my E-Trac with a slower Processor.  But the Safari is an easier machine to learn than the E-Trac.  Watch this video to see how easy it is.

BTW.  I'm not getting EQ-800 to compete against my FBS technology machines, but to complement them. (Peanut Butter & Jelly) - together.

• Like 6

There is no benefit to BBS or FBS in my ground. The ground rules and sweeping generalizations are something I resist. In milder locations I am sure BBS and FBS have an edge on deep silver. Minelab has said so since day one. People have to choose machines based on the overall applicability for their particular uses. For me it’s Equinox as I favor low conductor performance and that is where BBS/FBS are weakest. For most silver hunters it leans the other way and so Safari/E-TRAC/CTX will continue to be favorites for many people. Recovery speed is the wild card, and the denser the trash gets then Equinox again will have the edge.  It’s a complex question when trying to say “what’s best” and while we all like simple answers the truth is “it just depends”.

When it comes to FBS Safari is an underrated bargain in my opinion. If it has a weakness it’s the slow recovery speed.

• Like 5

On 2/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Equinox1881 said:

I personally would recomend an etrac or ctx the nox is not finding much for me at all yet ive had it about two weeks and no silver yet i guess ill have to get my ctx out to find silver really disappointed in the nox so far

Been there done that sorry to say. If I get a new detector and I can get into some great finds with it soon it’s hard not to like the machine. If I get one and “nothing happens” then it is hard to like. I had one machine recently that I KNOW is a good detector, but I swear that machine was cursed. Great unit, but it just never seemed to produce for me.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the feedback!

i want to stress that I am not asking which is best. That question can likely never be answered. Not concerned with weight (within reason).

Maybe I should have stated it this way in my original post-. I am looking to assemble a respectable coin and relic detecting tool kit. I would prefer that each tool has areas it where it shines that the other tools most likely will not.  Like digging through a drawer full of standard slotted screw drivers (perhaps with a few torx bit drivers mixed in), when a Phillips head driver would work the best for the task. 

So far the tool kit looks like this-   XP Deus w/9", 11" lf coils and a 5x9-1/2" elliptical hf coil.  XP MI 6 & Whites TRX pinpointers  Nokta Impact pro pack (will likely be put up for adoption)   And last night the Equinox 800 joined the team.   

Might be I am asking too soon if adding the safari/FBS would i be redundant with the eq800 already on board.  Really hoping for good target id at depth with the Equinox.