Equinox 800 Vs. Safari

Indiana Mark

I don’t think Multi-IQ makes BBS/FBS redundant per se. They overlap 90% and then each fills gaps in the other. If you have the money why not? For me I already know I can do very well on high conductors in my ground with Equinox and the gap filled for me would be so minor as to not really be worth it. Another person might feel the exact opposite. 

• Like 2

The Equinox is worth trying.  It is new technology and initial reports sound very promising, especially for unmasking in trashy ground.  As for adding a Safari, you can decide later after you've tried the Equinox.  If it were me, the machine I added later would probably be the Etrac--can get them used at decent prices these days--or, if you have more to spend, the CTX3030.  I like my Etrac and doubt that my new Equinox (when I get one) will change my opinion.  Given Minelab's secrecy, we don't really know too much about how FBS and Multi-IQ actually work (in spite of ML's glib explanations), but it seems pretty clear (and Minelab says this, too) that the Equinox will not render obsolete its FBS machines.  

• Like 4

I could have found this with most any detector, but when it is FBS in the hands that makes the certain tone "Dig me sound", I just Dig It.

It is not really valuable, but to find a gold coin is Tops to most swingers and hunters too.

If you can afford the E-Trac and Equinox, I think those two would make a great combination for a variety of hunts.

I PM's you why the E-Trac is better than Safari (but more money).

If you are pretty new to this all, then go with the Equinox Only for now...and learn it.

I do have class coming up for my customers if you don't have a preferred dealer that is.

1stGold4.JPG

1stGold2.JPG

1stGold3.JPG

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

I have the Minelab Safari and it's a great machine. I don't get to use it as much as I like because I have arthritis really bad in my shoulders and it's hard for me to swing anything for more than a few minutes at a time, but the safari is a lot lighter than the Excalibur I had which I really loved. Anyway, when I go to the beach, my Safari loves Silver. I have dug dimes at 14 inches and even found a small Silver necklace at 12 inches. I was really surprised on that one. Of course I get my share of bottle caps, nails and screws but when I search, I don't discriminate and dig everything. Haven't found any gold yet but probably because I don't get to hunt much. Been wanting to go hunting somewhere besides the beach and plan on doing it soon. Well, was just wanting to comment that the Safari loves Silver and hits a really hard tone when you swing over it. Thanks and hope everyone has a blessed New Year.

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 7

Rusty,  Glad you are having success with the Safari.  With your bad shoulders, you should trade in the Safari for an Equinox 600.  It can do more than the Safari, weighs less and is newer technology at a cheaper price too.  See if you dealer is willing to work with you and if not, give me a jingle.  I accept many detector trades towards the 7 different brands I sell.

SafE.jpg

• Like 2

2 weeks with the Nox is hardly enough time..... ive got over 9 mos and 1000 hours on mine.   There is just a lot of information is such a fast machine.   Ive used and still have a CTX.   Each have their place.   Really bad dirt ... the FBS does a very good job and you dont get as much ground chatter.  Its also hard to beat the smart screen for information...... that even thats a learning process on deep targets.  Ive used all the FBS machines...... and i lived in Ind where i field and park hunted.   To me the Explorer was a better machine on silver.... had that distinct tinkle.  BUT..... the ET out of the box sped up the learning curve.   The Nox to me isnt as refined as the FBS.....it can be affected more by the dirt and EMI.    Personally....... if i were still dirt hunting...... id have both.  In an open area the FBS is hard to beat.... but in the trash you can really work an area to produce more targets.