Another Possible Scenario....

MontAmmie

Upon further reading and reflection, it occurs to me that I may have been too hard on poor MineLab.  Hear me out?

Maybe MineLab is just a "victim" of a perfect shite-storm of circumstances, coupled with a bit of poor planning on their part.  Maybe this public relations disaster is just a product of:

1. Unprecedented demand for a detector model, which caught even MineLab by surprise.  

2. Dealers taking pre-payments from hundreds, if not thousands, of customers long before even MineLab thought they would be available for purchase.  Would most people really be this aggravated if they hadn't forked over their hard-earned cash already?  I know I wouldn't be.  A waiting list is one thing, prepayment five months ago is quite another.  I'm honestly not picking on the dealers!  I understand why they needed some cash up front, and I think they were just as surprised as the rest of us at how long this whole process is taking.

3. A contract with Cabela's to deliver X amount of detectors.  Maybe even a contract specifying that those units had to be delivered within a certain timeframe, like within 30 days of initial roll out.  So maybe they were between a hot rock and hard place.  Like either make your customers and dealers not like you very much OR get sued by Bass Pro Shops for breach of contract.  Hmmm....maybe this was what Steve was trying to tell me with all of that talk about contracts......

4.  Some poorly-worded press releases, which certainly didn't help matters.  Like this little gem, "We will be doing our best to get detectors to all customers across February to fulfil pre-orders as quickly as possible."  Or this one, "Our new EQUINOX Series of detectors is now shipping to our distribution network and on to customers who have pre-ordered detectors.*".  Which certainly made it seem that the pre-order folks would be taken care of as quickly as humanly possible. In February.  I honestly think they would have been better off to have turned off their FB page, shut down their computers, and sent their whole PR department to Malaysia to help crank out Equinoxes.

5. Failing to anticipate the absolutely unbelievable power of modern social media.  I don't think those MineLab people ever even considered that A) 6.8 seconds after those machines hit the Cabela's website, everyone in the known universe would know about it , or B) that 8.9 seconds later the unruly virtual mob would break out the pitchforks and torches.

What do ya'll think? 

PS.  MineLab, if you-all are reading this, I would be WAY happier out swinging my 800 than sitting here speculating about your business practices.  Hint.  Hint. :biggrin:

Edit.  Wow, MineLab, that was quick.  I just got THE EMAIL from my dealer!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MontAmmie said:

Edit.  Wow, MineLab, that was quick.  I just got THE EMAIL from my dealer!

So, did you??? or maybe your FB poll woke them up to our reality!

Bill

• Like 1

Just now, cobill said:

So, did you??? or maybe your FB poll woke them up to our reality!

Bill

Yup.  I can't believe I hadn't checked my email all afternoon.  I wasn't really expecting it on a Saturday.

• Like 3

X2 Hope you find the good stuff!

• Thanks 1

I think MineLab should give a FREE Detector Carry Bag out to all that have waited and prepaid 3 months out or more ....... :cool:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dig It said:

I think MineLab should give a FREE Detector Carry Bag out to all that have waited and prepaid 3 months out or more ....... :cool:

That's too many detector bags it won't happen

• Like 2

Asked my dealer for an update:  he says Ive moved up from #7 to #5. Woo Hoo!

good for you MontAmmie. I hate to lose your periodic analyses.  

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked