Using Gray Ghost Head Phone With Gold Monster 1000

Alan Bender

I recently bought a Gold Monster 1000. I have a pair of Gray Ghost head phones that I love that have 1/4 in. plug. I've tried 3 different 1/4 by 1/8 adaptors and the gray ghost hphones work good but the internal speaker still works, It won't cancel out the speaker on the detector.  The hphones that came with it work fine but I hear better in one ear than the  other so I need to use my gray ghost with a volume control on each side. have any of you had this problem.

Most adapters don't work correctly but a few found one a Ace Hardware that worked, but others bought the only one they found at their local Ace Hardware store and it didn't work for them, so that source is sorta the luck of the draw, there's a fellow on another forum that has been making one that does work for his friends and a few fellow forum members that does seem to work for all who has gotten one from him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alan Bender said:

I recently bought a Gold Monster 1000. I have a pair of Gray Ghost head phones that I love that have 1/4 in. plug. I've tried 3 different 1/4 by 1/8 adaptors and the gray ghost hphones work good but the internal speaker still works, It won't cancel out the speaker on the detector.  The hphones that came with it work fine but I hear better in one ear than the  other so I need to use my gray ghost with a volume control on each side. have any of you had this problem.

Thank you for your response. I might try Ace.

• Like 1

Try Radio Shack. You might be able to get mono or stereo. I have the same problem, almost deaf in right ear.

Headphones do need to be wired properly in order to work with some models. This Minelab Knowledge Base article goes over the issue as relates to the CTX 3030. I believe the GPZ 7000 and possibly Gold Monster is identical in this regard. Sun Ray makes two models of Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones, the original model, and another model wired specifically to work correctly with the CTX 3030 (and other detectors also) for $5.00 more. Why not just make the one model that works with all detectors? Good question. Long story short I own two sets of the Sun Ray CTX version and they work with anything.

minelab-ctx-gpz-wireless-module-headphone-wiring-page-2.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Sun Ray makes two models of Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones, the original model, and another model wired specifically to work correctly with the CTX 3030 (and other detectors also) for $5.00 more. Why not just make the one model that works with all detectors? Good question. Long story short I own two sets of the Sun Ray CTX version and they work with anything.

Well now that is interesting.  I did not realize there were two types.  I was unlucky enough to pick the type that did not work with the GM1000.:angry: