Garrett ATX Vs Minelab Excalibur 2 Vs Minelab CTX 3030

Ok, got a CZ21 and a F19 on the way.  Thanks everyone for the input and helpful advice.  I'll be looking for headphones for the F19 and some kind of case or carrying bags for the 2 machines.  Any advice in those 2 departments would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Physically the CZ21 and Excal are both a pain out of the water, too much weight and cables.

For my 2 cent worth I would go with the CTX, fantastic park hunter, as good as any VLF on the wet sand and you can use it IN the water to 3m.  I have hunted a week in the water with no problems.

• 3 years later...

Do you really find enough in parks to justify a CTX 3030? How much do you really find $ wise? Can be an expensive hobby. My MX Sport does great in parks for a third of the price of a 3030.

Allow me to play devil's advocate.

The thing with the CTX is that it is an FBS machine which has an edge on deep ID compared to "regular" single frequency machines. Machines of that ilk, ETrac, Explorer, Sovereign, Excalibur, Safari etc. are purchased for this reason specifically. Most experienced detectorists have no problem paying a extra for tangible results. There really is a difference, that is why people are paying $500 for Sovereigns that are approaching 30 years old and not buying the MX Sport, or whatever the current marketing fad is. 

Now with the Equinox, we don't have to buy a machine in that price range to get a FBS/BBS/Multi-IQ machine.

However, even if you were to buy a CTX, it is still a really cheap hobby in this day and age. Once you buy it, you just have to keep it charged really and you're good to go.

How much money do most people make drinking beer or playing golf? Do you really need that silly motorcycle to get around?

Parks shouldn't be overlooked. I suppose "Park hunting" is generally taken to be detecting1950s silver from amoungst the beavertails, however in reality history is very layered. I use parks specifically as relatively undisturbed portals to access land up to 400+ years old, just wanted to throw that out there, amazing things come from parks.

• Like 2