Some Equinox Test Garden Testing, Including A Head-to-head Video With The CTX 3030...

steveg

Nice write up - thanks Steve. 

Nice Equinox vid too. 

The ctx in the video. Is that the R2D2 model? :laugh:. It's a chatty little fella.  

• Like 1

LOL!

The CTX was indeed akin to R2-D2 today!

Reason was, though, that I was maxed out at 30 sensitivity.  I would not have hunted it that hot, in that EMI, but the issue was that in auto +3, it was running at 19, and I felt that 19 was too much of a disadvantage for the CTX as compared to the Equinox running at 20, so as to show fair results.  Had I run the CTX "quieter," by lowering sensitivity or even going auto +3, someone would have undoubtedly said "no wonder the CTX didn't do as well, you ran it at 19, but ran the Equinox much hotter." 

I tried hitting deep coins in auto +3, once I saw how much "noise" I was getting today in the garden, but could not get results near as good as I was getting at 30 manual (not surprising).  So, to not "disadvantage" the CTX, I ran it hot, and thus the "R2-D2/BB-8" behavior!

I will say this, though...I usually run max sensitivity on all my machines, unless conditions force me to lower it.  I had the 'Nox set at max 25 to start with, but the amount of chatter suggested I lower it, and bumping it down gradually, one notch at a time, 20 was the level where the noise essentially disappeared.  Meanwhile, auto +3 on the CTX was choosing 19.  I SHOULD have run the CTX in manual, bumping it down only as far as needed to achieve similar stability as the Equinox...but didn't.  I probably could have gotten away with a number higher than auto +3's choice of 19.  BUT....still, I do find it a bit interesting that the CTX at +3 was still only going as high as 19 out of 30 (63%), while the Equinox was comfortable at 20 out of 25 (80%)...

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My cup runneth over - great reporting Steve!

I have been completely caught off guard by the intensity of the debate online about Equinox vs BBS and FBS. The truth is internally it was always about Equinox versus Garrett AT and DEUS. So this all came out of left field.

For me personally Equinox versus BBS/FBS was an easy choice based on gold sensitivity and target separation characteristics. Max depth is certainly an important component also but less so for me personally than the other two factors. There is the weight also. It all boils down to what puts finds in my pocket and max depth - let’s just say I use a PI or GPZ when I want max depth. My main comment is that if the majority of the debate is about this Minelab versus that Minelab then the competition really had better start worrying. That would be the optimal end result for Minelab and the fact the debate has been so focused on that aspect truly is revealing.

Thanks again Steve for taking what I know is a lot of time to produce a report like that. When people see conflicting reports and therefore question results always remember - the ground and target density/type rules all assuming operators of equal skill.

When people post on Equinox versus another brand I will usually move the thread to the Metal Detecting Advice & Comparisons Forum which is designed specifically to contain such content. This bring Minelab vs Minelab it is pretty fuzzy even though this is styled as an Equinox Fan forum. The assumption I would think is that people here have an inherent bias for Equinox. Still, I will let it stay here for now as an experiment. If anyone has advice for me an which venue they think is more appropriate I am all ears. But here or there it is a great report. Thanks again Steve for making the effort and sharing your opinions!

• Like 2

On 2/26/2018 at 3:57 AM, steveg said:

The Equinox should not be thought of as "one detector, with multiple adjustments," but -- in my opinion -- more of a "multiple different detectors in one package," with each mode representing a "different" machine.

I had to highlight this. The difference is subtle, but that is a very perceptive observation.

• Like 1

Yes, Steve; so many -- including myself -- have been interested in the Multi-IQ vs. FBS debate.  So, I wanted to get some thoughts out there from my perspective, that partially addressed a bit of that question.

My conclusions thus far, from hunts AND test-garden tests, is just what you said (no surprise) -- I can take this machine, to a wide variety of hunt sites for any manner of "targets of interest," and not feel totally "out-gunned" by someone of similar skill running a different unit.  The depth is more than "acceptable," and in fact very "notable," but more importantly, it will do some things that some other units will not do as well (such as FBS) -- i.e. hunting in trash and offering "dig me" information even on tough targets due to close proximity of iron/trash.  

I do understand now what you have been saying about "can take it anywhere and not feel out-gunned."

Steve

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 5:36 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I had to highlight this. The difference is subtle, but that is a very perceptive observation.

It is "subtle," but it's there.  If I hadn't already had that sense (I did), there was no doubt when switching to gold mode -- that just hammered it home.  It felt like I set down my "coin hunter," and picked up a totally different machine.  The differences are more nuanced, but still there, when switching between other modes, but if you want to see the full spectrum of how "different" the machine is in different modes, just swing it for awhile in Park 1, and then switch to Gold 2.  Wow...

Steve

• Like 1

Excellent post Steve and thank you for taking the time to do a test like this. My first 2 hunts convinced me that the Nox will hang with my CTX, in my dirt, for the type of hunting I do. First day out I was able to come across a 9" wheat and the Nox gave a nice high tone, repeatable signal. That  boosted my confidence in the machine  from day one. On my second hunt I hit a 9" rosy, that did the same thing, high tone, repeatable and VDI reading of 23-24   These were in the field, in an unbelievable trashy old high school and only after using it a few hours. I was walking tall after seeing this :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, and I hear you, Dan.  I had an 8" wheat of my own, in dense trash, on my first hunt, that gave me the same boost of confidence that you describe.  Seeing the results in my test garden helped to push that confidence even a little further along.  This machine is NO slouch, depth-wise, and looks like it is quickly shaping up to be the best I've used in trashy environments...

Steve

• Like 2

Awesome writeup, Steve.  Really good stuff.

Multiple detectors is how I looked at the various Deus modes/frequencies and why I tend to hit the same sites several times with those various Deus modes.  I look at the Equinox as similar but on steroids.  The modes look to be more differentiated such that they better approximate the "different detector" paradigm.  I plan to do the same with the Equinox (hit a site multiple times with multiple modes if I can) and then hit it again with the Deus at an HF freq thst is not covered by the Equinox just for good measure.  Lol.

Also, plan to do a little more "in water" salt beach hunting this summer so I want to unerstand Equinox beach modes better.  I have a question on how this beach mode GB "locked at zero" thing works because I can't find it in the manual.  Manual does recommend tracking GB in the water so that implies it can be unlocked, but not in manual/auto GB?? If anyone can enlighten me it would be appreciated.  Thanks.