Equinox Tips And Tricks

Cabin Fever

Since I’m snowed in with a new Equinox, I’ve been doing a little basement air testing and playing around.. I don’t know if these tricks will hold up in the ground but I thought I would throw them out there for you guys and gals to try.. I believe  park hunters might benefit from setting up a 5 kHz Park Mode to test signals if your primary hunting mode is Multi Frequency..  Rolled up Beaver Tails and broken pull tabs can give a perfect Nickel Signal from all directions.. Pop over to 5 kHz next time you get a 12-13 Nickel signal. If the ID falls dramatically and bounces all over you might be over a Pull Tab or Can Slaw..  A Nickel will hold up to this test only fluctuating by a couple of numbers if any..  I think someone else mentioned  a similar trick on Crown Caps.. A Crown Cap that will ID in the mid teens in Multi  will shoot up in the 30s on 5 kHz..  I’m going to set up a 5 kHz mode on my User Mode just for this type of target Checking..  Silver and copper hold up to the test with almost no change to ID numbers...  If this type of testing holds up in real in ground hunting, it would be a fantastic tool..   I would like to hear about other tips and tricks that others might have discovered with their Equinox.

Bryan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Further testing shows that a lot of the full, newer square tabs that run in the higher teens don’t show much change when swapping over to 5 kHz from Multi.. I does seem to work good for the broken and rolled up beaver tails and other small pieces that fall in to the 12-13 range though.. In ground real world will be the real test..

Bryan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love the frequency shifting as a ferrous id trick. 5 kHz is particularly effective. I have to admit as a jewelry hunter first and coin hunter second that I do not mind accidental aluminum by-catch in the nickel range. It might just well turn out to be gold jewelry. I spend hours some days just digging aluminum targets in hopes of gold. No worse than digging bullets all day looking for nuggets. Easier actually.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, I was definitely looking at it from an Old Coin Hunter perspective.. For some reason the jewelry bug just never latched on to me.. I’m always trying to think of ways to maximize my swing time to have better odds of getting my coil over an old coin..  

Bryan

• Like 1

Oh I get that Bryan and really appreciate the tips! :smile: I can learn a thing or two about coin detecting I am sure. Most of my magic technique boils down to sheer hours and brute force digging. Now that I am getting older it is time to hunt smarter!

I do love digging gold......

• Like 1