New Garrett ATX vs Older Used Ones

I checked since I have a first run ATX and just bought a new one. Only difference is in the swiveling mount area of the stock coil. The old ones were getting loose for some people causing the coil to droop while in use which in turn caused you to have to constantly readjust the angle of the coil. The mount area was made about an inch taller which gives the locking mechanism move leverage.

Some people never had the issue but enough did to warrant the change. I do not know when the change occurred. Garrett might provide a serial number "before and after" if asked. Worth a try. If anyone finds out please share the information.

Thank you Steve for this excellent forum.  The loose coil on the ATX is what I thought I had read before.  Has anyone come up with a workaround for the floppy coil if they have one?

After reading lots on your post early last year I bought an ATGold.  I've been very happy with it.  It does everything I need in this area.  I really appreciate your unbiased and honest evaluations and advice.   I know you have helped many to make the right choice. I'm totally hooked on the hobby now.

I'm planning on moving on to salt beach hunting and a few trips to Nevada this year and it sounds like the ATX is what I need for these trips.  Can't get my hands on one around here so will have to take a trip somewhere to check one out before making a purchase.  Another question for you is how is the sling that comes with the ATX?  Have you used it or do you always use your Minelab harness system?

Thanks,

Paul in Spokane

• Like 1

Glad to be of some help to a few folks!

Just before I got my second ATX I purchased a coil support/stabilizer bracket on eBay for $30. I am sure a person could make something also. I have not used it yet but figured it would be a good investment for surf detecting.

The sling that comes with the ATX does not get much respect but it is not half bad and the price is right. I like that it is small enough to just stuff in a pocket. All it really needs is extra padding where it cuts across your shoulder. It only works well on flat ground since there is no easy way to adjust the length. For full days on end of swinging a Minelab Pro-Swing is a good investment especially in uneven terrain. Another alternative I have been using is a Camelback style rucksack with a bungee off one shoulder.

garrett-atx-coil-stabilizer.jpg

• Sad 1

Steve you really should give a HiptStick a try, it worked brilliantly with the ATX when I used one, I use an ex-army utility belt for the lower swivel mount and a CamelBack with the 3ltr water bladder and have no troubles working all day.

JP

• Like 1

• 4 years later...