3 Hours At The Beach With The Equinox 800

Thegoldenone

Okay got out today for 3 hours... using beach 1, on the beach I was hunting on you could not go into the water even with lower sensitivity without falsing occurring... Beach 2 could run all the way up to 24 on the sensitivity without falsing in the water and the surf...   

I got a Gold the first time out very small kids ring 14k! I used stock settings the only thing I changed was the sensitivity, I'm old school like to start out with stock settings other than tones and sensitivity so that when I'm making the adjustments I get a Feeling for what's going on...

This machine is super hot I had to dial back on the Sensitivity I was digging too many small non-ferrous junk targets..... (the beach I'm working is full of junk)

The bad:

There's definitely something messed up in the programming for the pinpoint!

Hey Minelab I want a pinpointer I can turn on and it works the second I hit the button I don't want to wait for it!

Quite a few occasions I press the pin pointer you could go over the Target and hear it like it was in the distance never gave me the Horseshoe to show where the center of the target was and never became loud so I could hear it! Sometimes I'd have to move back to the side of the hole hit the button again hit it again and then it would work.....

After the frustration with the pinpointer I stopped using it!

The lower shaft fills up with water and the coil cover fills up with water and sand so when you come out of the water onto the land The Equinox weighs more than a CTX now! And Incredibly nose-heavy at this point!

Easy enough fix though drill a hole in the lower shaft so the water can drain out... I'm going to use some type of caulking for the coil cover to seal it to the coil... I usually don't use coil covers just for this reason!

No matter how tight I tighten the cam locks you can still twist the shafts fairly easily

But all in all this is the machine I've been waiting for most of my life!

20180228_140908.jpg

20180228_140919.jpg

• Like 9

Nice gold.  Confirmed Beach 2 is the way to go in the water just like the manual says (good!) and boy those are some nasty Quarters. lol.

Thanks for the water report and no one had previously pointed out the water retention issues.  

Does your beach have black sand?  The Equinox will sense it and reduce power in Beach mode according to the Manual.

TGO,

Did you mess with the recovery speed or just leave it on factory default?

Ok, never mind, I read it again and this time "used stock settings" registered.  Sorry, I'm getting senile.

I've been hearing other people complain about the pin pointer.  Good thing you don't really need one on the beach.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Nice gold.  Confirmed Beach 2 is the way to go in the water just like the manual says (good!) and boy those are some nasty Quarters. lol.

Thanks for the water report and no one had previously pointed out the water retention issues.  

Does your beach have black sand?  The Equinox will sense it and reduce power in Beach mode according to the Manual.

No black sand that I'm aware of... it never reduced power.....

Some of the coins I pulled off this Beach were just wafer-thin!

Great post with info I like to see.  Knowing the lower shaft will fill with water is important.  The coil cover thing I normally do not use them in the water for that reason.  I do week long hunts 2x a year and wonder if you feel the shaft connections will be fine or lock up?  We have had some detectors in times past the shafts get fine sand in them and freeze up.  I had to leave a beach scoop in MX one year as I could not get it apart.  The PP Mode things has me curious too so when I do get one in my hands, I'll check it...all though I normally do not use PP mode when detecting, it is nice to get a feel for actual signal strength/depth.

Very nice gold ring, too.