My New Treasure Talk Blog - Equinox 600 Vs 800

Thanks Steve

That is a great explanation of the differences between the Equinox 600 & 800 and should be very helpful to those who are undecided to which one to purchase.

• Thanks 1

Nicely written Steve.  Even though I decided to go with the 800 the bargain price for the performance you get with the 600 is a big draw.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone - I hope it helps!

I will end up with both. Saltwater is hard on detectors. I will have a 600 and it will be the only one to get in saltwater. The 800 will be backup because all saltwater detectors fail eventually. All dry land detecting will go to the 800, with 600 acting as backup and loaner.

The 800 gets the glory on the forums but I think the 600 will be the mass market best seller. I still look at the price and feature list and shake my head. And seriously, I could use a 600 exclusively and miss very little that the 800 will find. If the 800 goes down while nugget detecting I can shift to the 600 with no worries at all.

Another advantage to having both will be having each set up with different coils. Yeah, I know it is no big deal to swap coils but it’s a bother that can be eliminated with two detectors.

When supplies catch up with these models being priced so low some enterprising dealer should put together a two detector package deal.

Here are more details for those that want to dig in on the subject...

minelab-equinox-600-800-compared.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

“I have seen some confusion on the internet regarding the differences between the Minelab EQUINOX 600 and EQUINOX 800. I think that the EQUINOX 600 is being somewhat overlooked because it’s not the “top model” but, in my opinion, it is incredible value for a remarkably low price. I hope this blog will clear up any confusion and, in the process, show why I think the EQUINOX 600 deserves a second look by some people…”

https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

So Steve

Assuming one wants one of these machines to hunt salt water. How can one justify the Iron Bias settings between the two detectors? 

The 600 comes preset at 2,  The 800 comes preset at 6..............The 600 has a max setting of 3..........This seems like a complete disconnect.  And yes I know a 3 setting on a 600 is 6 on the 800. But the 600 is missing  settings 7 and 8.  

Am I really going to be able to get rid of bobby pins and nails at the beach with the 600?

Dave

I have been literally driving myself crazy over which nox to buy, the truth is after reading this i really only need the 600, i do have a rookie question though now that im convinced that these detectors have the same engines so to speak, kind of like buying a mustang gt loaded or one with no power windows and door locks, but will run the quarter mile in the same time. Anyway back to my rookie question im assuming there will be updates to the nox's is there a possibility that the updates will continue to give the 800 more distance from the 600 in what it can do or will the updates likely be basically the same? 

Steve,

Thank you for providing an informed voice to the Equinox discussion.  It was desperately needed given the amount of nonsensical postings that have come up about the machines, with many of them being from people who haven't even use an Equinox.

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum!

I guess people are not getting enough partisan politics these days so they want to fight about detectors also. Whatever, I wish them luck with the detectors of their choice. I just don’t have time for all that.

• Like 1

Steve, this brought me out of hiding for a brief time.  Just received my 600 yesterday - will have the 800 as availability allows.  As always, thanks for the great information... it is very helpful!  Tim.

• Like 1