My New Treasure Talk Blog - Equinox 600 Vs 800

3 hours ago, midalake said:

So Steve

Assuming one wants one of these machines to hunt salt water. How can one justify the Iron Bias settings between the two detectors? 

The 600 comes preset at 2,  The 800 comes preset at 6..............The 600 has a max setting of 3..........This seems like a complete disconnect.  And yes I know a 3 setting on a 600 is 6 on the 800. But the 600 is missing  settings 7 and 8.  

Am I really going to be able to get rid of bobby pins and nails at the beach with the 600?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I missed your post earlier. If you are looking for me to justify anything you got the wrong guy. The settings are what they are. If you have serious concerns or issues as regards the beach performance of the Equinox then I suggest you wait six months to a year for a wide ranging consensus from users around the world to develop. Perhaps when I have the opportunity to get in a lot of hours of beach use with the Equinox myself I will be better equipped to answer that question. Other individuals were far more involved in the beach aspects of Equinox than I and in that respect I have plenty to learn yet myself. My time on the beach has been limited to proving to myself it has the punch I want, and since I have generally preferred using a PI for beach detecting I am fairly sure Equinox will do better than a PI as regards bobby pins and nails. It’s not an issue that overly concerns me but obviously it is a primary concern for you. If that is the case, then hopefully at some point somebody will be able to alleviate your concerns or not in that area. In the meantime you may be better off continuing to use whatever you have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fskafish said:

Anyway back to my rookie question im assuming there will be updates to the nox's is there a possibility that the updates will continue to give the 800 more distance from the 600 in what it can do or will the updates likely be basically the same? 

I would expect the 600 to remain the 600 and the 800 to remain the 800. The update feature is to correct bugs. I suppose minor feature modifications are possible but the last thing we need is a repeat of the CTX situation and people expecting anything other than bug fixes.

• Like 1

Thanks steve, this was the post ive been waiting for, its the 600 for me, but i will wait until the dust settles....gerry out in idaho i will be calling soon. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I missed your post earlier. If you are looking for me to justify anything you got the wrong guy. The settings are what they are. If you have serious concerns or issues as regards the beach performance of the Equinox then I suggest you wait six months to a year for a wide ranging consensus from users around the world to develop. Perhaps when I have the opportunity to get in a lot of hours of beach use with the Equinox myself I will be better equipped to answer that question. Other individuals were far more involved in the beach aspects of Equinox than I and in that respect I have plenty to learn yet myself. My time on the beach has been limited to proving to myself it has the punch I want, and since I have generally preferred using a PI for beach detecting I am fairly sure Equinox will do better than a PI as regards bobby pins and nails. It’s not an issue that overly concerns me but obviously it is a primary concern for you. If that is the case, then hopefully at some point somebody will be able to alleviate your concerns or not in that area. In the meantime you may be better off continuing to use whatever you have.

Well that is a disappointing answer. I just want to say you are the one stating these two machine are identical. If your not sure where does that leave me?  That the difference in Iron Bias adjustment and I will throw in recovery speed adjustment as well.........maybe these machines are not the same!  Also to mention a PI machine in the same breath with an Equinox is a horrible comparison in my opinion. 

Dave

Steve - good article.

I am getting the 800.  but I am evaluating whether my backup/companion machine should be the 800 or a 600.

Your article helped but I had a few more questions and would like your input based on your extensive first hand experience with the 800.

The manual on p. 51 states that the maximum adjustment for recovery speed for the 600 is less than the 800.  So the 800 has a higher maximum recovery speed than the 600 (i.e., the 600 max setting is 3 which corresponds to 6 on the 800 scale, but the 800 can be set up to 8)?  Similarly, the 600 can not be set to the lowest recovery speed equivalent of the 800 (600 setting of 1 corresponds to 2 on the 800) which could marginally impact depth performance vs. the 800.

My question is not why that is.   Instead, wanted to know whether you ever encountered situations where you needed to set the recovery speed above the equivalent max setting of the 600 (i.e., higher than 6 on the 800) or lower  than 2 (800 setting)?  

Also, the 800 has auto and manual noise cancellation vs only auto on 600.  Have you ever encountered a situation where a manual channel setting was preferred over the auto selected channel? 

Thanks in advance.

Wish we had accessory pricing to see how much the BT Headphones and WM08 module cost separately to factor into the price differential.

Thanks again, Steve.

PS Anyone else out there who also has practical experience with these settings, feel free to chime in.  Thanks.

57 minutes ago, midalake said:

Well that is a disappointing answer. I just want to say you are the one stating these two machine are identical. If your not sure where does that leave me?  That the difference in Iron Bias adjustment and I will throw in recovery speed adjustment as well.........maybe these machines are not the same!  Also to mention a PI machine in the same breath with an Equinox is a horrible comparison in my opinion. 

Dave

I never said they are identical. If that were the case there would be one model, not two. Since you are looking for a sales person to sell you an Equinox I suggest you go find one. I personally couldn't care less if you ever get an Equinox. As far as my mention of PI that was to explain my personal perspective and where I am coming from. Since you have no interest at all in anything I have to say then perhaps you should just wander off and find some other forum where the host better suits your proclivities.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I never said they are identical. If that were the case there would be one model, not two. Since you are looking for a sales person to sell you an Equinox I suggest you go find one. I personally couldn’t care less if you ever get an Equinox. As far as my mention of PI that was to explain my personal perspective and where I am coming from. Since you have no interest at all in anything I have to say then perhaps you should just wander off and find some other forum where the host better suits your proclivities.

Partially taking you advise. Off for a 3-4hr Salt water hunt.

D

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

My question is not why that is.   Instead, wanted to know whether you ever encountered situations where you needed to set the recovery speed above the equivalent max setting of the 600 (i.e., higher than 6 on the 800) or lower  than 2 (800 setting)?  

Also, the 800 has auto and manual noise cancellation vs only auto on 600.  Have you ever encountered a situation where a manual channel setting was preferred over the auto selected channel? 

In general no, but that is not to mean I never will and that is why I am an 800 owner first and 600 owner second. I want all the control possible, and I am sure at one point I will use those extra options. Will people on a budget buying their first detector? I doubt it. The article did end with “when in doubt get the 800”.

Peope who think I am magical and can alleviate all doubt and risk in a detector so new are not being realistic. The Equinox is deceptively simple but also has a learning curve because there has never been anything exactly like it. You can’t fill gaps in knowledge with assumptions as is possible with many models which are basically just copies of some other model.

I try my best but people should realize I have never looked to others when making detector buying decisions. I see something I am interested, I get it and try it. That’s because there is not one among you who can tell me what I will like or not like. I also see people say they want honest answers. Being honest means knowing when to say “I don’t know”. It also means knowing I cannot know other people’s desires in a detector, and since I am not trying to sell anyone on anything when in any doubt at all I will always default to telling people to give it more time for a clearer picture to appear. I advocate looking to a wide range of experiences and opinions from actual users of the detector more so than any one person, and that includes me.

These are early days and I am trying hard to provide people with information based on limited knowledge. Give me another year and I might be willing to go so far as to claim I am an expert on the Equinox. But not yet. Do realize I pay the bills here and ask nothing in return but for people to respect and help each other.

Does anyone really wonder why the rest of the testers have chosen to keep their heads down? I don’t.

In the end I can only offer some guidance and advice but when it comes to personal decisions you all have to make your own. I can’t do it for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've been using a 600 for the last few days in old parks that I've hunted hard with my Etrac in the past.  So far, the only 800 feature that I've missed having was the ability to turn down the backlight.  The 600 backlight is like the sun compared to the backlight on an Etrac.

• Like 1

Again, thanks Steve for good useful info.             ...........

• Thanks 1