It is nice to see a true Multi Purpose detector like the new Minelab Equinox 800 do as advertised and then some.

Originally most people (including myself) felt the Prospecting Mode was an afterthought.  What I mean is, the manufacture makes a great detector for the majority of people who use it, knowing they will be detecting Coins, Relics and Jewelry (the majority of use) with occasional Prospecting.

This detector started making BUZZ from a few Testers who are actual Nugget Hunters and it still continues to impress. (Make sure to read the post by JP as he really goes into great detail).

Even though it has the round 11” open coil, the detectors SENSITIVITY to small low conductor metals is TOPS.

Check out the 1st nugget found by one of my customers using his EQ-800 in Arizona last week.  No it is not a huge one that any detector should beep in, it is actually pretty small.  Here are the comments Ron W shared with me

“ Found in a hard hit area in a small 8’ x 15’ raked patch, gold 2, sensitivity 25, ground balance manual, 4 inches deep, very clear signal. Missed by a Gold Bug 2 and the Monster. Had to take 2 inches off before the Gold Bug with small coil could hear it. Very nice detector. Light weight, easy to handle with lots of options. Thanks for your great customer service Gerry. Ron”

It actually feels pretty good to see my own customers making finds with their Equinox detectors before me.  Besides, they need a little love once in a while too.

Keep it up guys, we love hearing the stories and seeing the photos of GOLD-n-NOX.

Ron1stNug1.jpg

Ron1stNug2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting, crazy that the monster and GB2 both missed it? Might have to give this one a chance, just unloaded my monster and went back to my standby SDC and GB2.

• Like 1

WTG Ron W.!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AU_Solitude said:

Very interesting, crazy that the monster and GB2 both missed it? Might have to give this one a chance, just unloaded my monster and went back to my standby SDC and GB2.

Multi-IQ is doing something unexpected on small gold in mineralized ground. Have we not all wondered why multifrequency detectors do not do better on small gold? I think we are finally getting the answer, and what I am seeing is the true ability to combine high frequency sensitivity to tiny bits with lower frequency ability to penetrate deeper on larger gold.

For a VLF. That caveat must always be included.

• Like 2

Very interesting indeed-can't wait to hit dredge piles with the Nox.  

• Like 1

In some ways I wish we weren't spoiled for choice with GPZ and SDC options, I could really go for Multi-IQ if I went back to a time of VLF only where the world seemed so much bigger! Since MPS/MPF and ZVT the Goldfields seem tiny somehow, you tend to gobble up so much country using them. I now need a million times more available space with ground ignoring type of detectors whereas with the EQX I've spent many happy hours wandering around an acre of ground getting to know every little bump and rock. 

JP

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

.........I've been after a detector to hit open ground for gold at a bit of depth that's affordable to complement my Monster until I can get my GPX 4500 next summer (southern hemisphere summer) so perhaps, the Equinox is going to do the trick, and I'm getting into a bit of coin hunting lately and it's a killer for that so it would never be money wasted.

Based on what your saying I would recommend you stick with your Gold Monster until you can get your 4500 or even an SDC if the gold in your area tends to be small. On the other hand if you want a detector that has a foot firmly in both camps then the Equinox 800 is an excellent choice. Notice how I said 'choice' and not 'compromise' because with the Equinox compromise is no longer a word associated with the abilities of this detector on either side of the spectrum, it actually has near zero compromise between the Coin and Relic modes and the Prospect mode compared to other dedicated VLF style detectors. Even the Equinox 600 has excellent gold finding abilities using Multi-IQ with some of the modes on offer. See Steve's recent Treasure Talk article for more info at  https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

• Like 6

On 3/1/2018 at 10:04 PM, kiwijw said:

Think you will find it is 11" :tongue: :smile:

Down 4 ". That is impressive  for the 11" coil on the EQ 800. I am not surprised that the GB2 with the little 6 X 3 sniper coil missed it at 4".

Nice of Ron to pass on the nice comment of thanking you for your customer service Gerry. I am sure he is justified though in saying that. Thanks for sharing the find.

Best of luck out there

JW :smile:       

JW,  You are correct and I just made change.  If I had one in my shop to use, I would have known better.  Actually I did read 11" a buzilion times.  Just think if they make a small 6" Solid Ellip coil for the NOX?