Fisher F-Pulse Versus Garrett Carrot

I got mine today.  It's still in the box for reasons which I promised not to mention.  :wink:

Does it detect pickers? How small and how far? Would it be useful in checking crevices? In streams? Does black sand trip its trigger so to speak? Very curious how it does on gold, especially in comparison to Minelab's 35 and Garrett Carrot. I like my carrot but if one of the others will signal small gold better, I'd buy it. I don't need a better pinpointer for coin shooting, but one that could signal small gold would be especially interesting and useful. Thanks!

I don’t use a pinpointer to look for small gold though I pack one in my kit in case I run into a large nugget at depth. For small gold when detecting I prefer a plastic scoop to a pinpointer.

I don’t have a Minelab pinpointer to compare to but I will check the Carrot and F-Pulse today on some small nuggets and report back later.

For me it all comes down to a renewed interest in coin detecting in parks and in my mineralized ground the VLF pinpointers were all tapping out at about the same depth. That is why once I had the Carrott I was not much interested in other pinpointers based on VLF tech (yeah, I know, not really VLF but that’s what people understand). I could use better pinpointer punch in my ground however and it was the F-Pulse being PI based that really caught my eye. My old Uniprobe gave me the best depth of any pinpointer I had used up to now but in the end the Garrett physical design was handier. Now I get PI punch in a housing that is arguably better than the Garrett design, and which hopefully proves to be more reliable once any bugs get worked out.

Just received my Fisher F-Pulse today too..  Very Nice!  The build quality is top notch and it out guns the carrot like Steve said by a good margin. Just a really nice looking Pinpointer.. comes across as very rugged. Hoping to get out soon to give it a real test..

Bryan

• Like 2

Quickie test F-Pulse will see small gold nuggets Carrot can’t see at all, and half gram type stuff up to four times better in air tests. I have a cup of sand over 50% magnetite by content and while it will pick the sand up as you approach from the air a quick tap of the button resets it. But no overload per se. I have other stuff to do and frankly I don’t need to do anymore to satisfy myself at least. I think the F-Pulse is the better choice for small gold.

• Like 8

The jury is still out for me on performance as used for coin hunting... After a couple hours I found myself missing my carrot.. To be fair I need to really give this pinpoiner a couple more hunts but the F - Pulse really slows me down for some reason..  It seems to need more directional precision to find coins once the hole is open.. Reminds me of the TRX.. Its hard to put into words but something about the carrot makes it much faster for me to locate coins once the hole is open.  The F pulse does have a depth advantage when using it to find your target before you dig your hole..

I let my friend try it out because he was thinking about getting one and he came to the same conclusion as I..

I will work with it some more to see if I can get better with it.. I really want this pointer to work for me.. It’s a very nicely built unit..

Bryan

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

half gram type stuff

Steve, did you mean grain?   My carrot picks up 3 grain pieces easily.  Less that a 1/4 gram.