My New Favorite Pinpointer - The Fisher F-Pulse

On 4/1/2018 at 6:52 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks for posting that Bryan - I added a link back to the original post and thread.

The F-Pulse takes a little getting used to after using the Garrett Carrot (Pro-Pointer AT) a lot. It does want to interfere with my Equinox more than the Carrot. Rather than change the frequency on the pinpointer so far I turn the F-Pulse on before doing the Equinox frequency scan, and that generally does the trick.

I have my F-Pulse set for vibrate only, high sensitivity. It does want to signal on the ground after power up, so I do the tip to ground, tap button once retune procedure.

One thing I liked a lot initially is probably the biggest difference I see in use. The Carrot ramps up very quickly when you get near a target, and the vibrate mode therefore feels more intense. F-Pulse ramps up more slowly (better modulation) but that means it feels weak on deeper targets until you get closer. In my ground the one touch ground calibration was critical because the weak ground signal is identical to the weak signal from a deeper target.

With more hours under my belt now I think the Carrot has a slight edge for actual in use simplicity. F-Pulse takes a little more work and patience, but does deliver a performance edge.

Bottom line is I like them both very much and am keeping both for sure. I will have to do a follow up review on both once I get a bunch more hours in. Right now however if I had to recommend a pinpointer to a total newbie I would still probably recommend the Garrett over the Fisher as it seems just a little more direct, a little less finicky overall. Easier to get up and running out of box with no prior experience with pinpointers.

According to Carl in the thread referenced above the type of AA battery employed in F-Pulse might cause issues, making the recalibration process posted by Carl and copied above invaluable.

Hi Steve Re:- "The F-Pulse takes a little getting used to after using the Garrett Carrot (Pro-Pointer AT) a lot. It does want to interfere with my Equinox more than the Carrot. Rather than change the frequency on the pinpointer so far I turn the F-Pulse on before doing the Equinox frequency scan, and that generally does the trick"

I've noticed the same problem with interference with the NOX . Does this approach work without having to be repeated throughout a day? i.e. switch on the F-pulse, then the NOX, then you can switch off the F-pulse until you need it? Also if you do adjust the frequency on the pinpointer and then turn it off, will it remember the frequency for the next time? If so does it remember it if you have to take out the batteries, or have you got to do the whole process again? (I've got R1 software and get frequent lockup's) Finally, if you have a break, and switch off your NOX, do you need to do either process again when you start out again, or will the NOX have retained its previous settings?   Cheers Clive

Hi Clive,

I turn my pinpointer on, turn the detector on, do a detector frequency scan, and go detecting. Seems to be good for the day, but if I shut down and move, I repeat the process. 

Since you have both an Equinox and the F-Pulse you could answer the other questions as easily as I can.

Honestly: I've stopped to noise cancel the nox on every use. I let it sit where it works well with the f-pulse, unless I get chatter / EMI problems, I'd noise cancel again.

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone, i just bought a F-Pulse and want to share some important findings.

Alkaline AA (Panasonic Platinum Power) = Sens-3, works perfect.

Lithium AA (Energizer Lithium Ultimate) = Sens-3, noisy on everything even holding in mid air.

Hope this helps someone because i've been reading about people thinking there pointer is broken.

• 2 years later...

I use Eneloops / the Ikea LADDA rechargeables made in japan. They work without a problem and last forever.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, garikfox said:

Hello everyone, i just bought a F-Pulse and want to share some important findings.

Alkaline AA (Panasonic Platinum Power) = Sens-3, works perfect.

Lithium AA (Energizer Lithium Ultimate) = Sens-3, noisy on everything even holding in mid air.

Hope this helps someone because i've been reading about people thinking there pointer is broken.

What about the rechargable lithium batteries. I have been using them for quite a while without any issues. Find the 9v ones work better in my Minelab Profind than standard alkalines. Thinking the disposable lithiums aren't shielded or have poor shielding.