All-around Vehicle For On/off Road

Hard to go past a troopy.  Put in a set of drawers and still have a flat bed to sleep on.  Can even put in small kitchenette, sink, cooker, fridge on one side and drawers and single bed on the other.

Can even get the high top mods done to have extra room in the roof.

Been around Australia in a troopy with a home made set of drawers and a queen bed mattress on top.  Me, the lady and Australia - was an awesome year.  Wish I had been into prospecting then. 

Sold my troopy a few years ago to upgrade to a turbo diesel 100 series cruiser to go around Oz again with me, the lady, 3 kids and a caravan - best 3 years of my life.  Very sad to get rid of the troopy I'd had for 16 years but the turbo diesel cruiser felt like a sports car in comparison :laugh:

100 series wagon or a troopy - they get my votes. 

troopy.jpg

troopy 2.jpg

EDIT - that's not me or my troopy in the pic by the way - Google images.

• Like 3

Right o on the troopy!!!

I have to buy a fourby when I get there in May.... Troopys are so priceyi may have to settle with a Hilux... May need room for a quad too.

I have a nice 4 man tent that I can stand up in...with my stretcher and blankies I am very comfortable. Tremain called it the Taj Mahpaul....lol

That's the shortest camel I've ever seen...

6 hours ago, RickUK said:

I had a Isuzu Trooper for 18 years from new and finally parted company with it after 250,000 miles,the engine was still running as sweet as the day i got it,bodywork was very good and without doubt the most reliable 4x4 that i have ever owned,possibly a bit agricultural looks wise,but its the reliability that i mainly am after.Fuel wise did about 32mpg from a 2.8 turbo diesel and pull like a train with a heavy trailer behind it.

Next detecting truck i had was a v6 petrol Suzuki Vitara LWB absolutely terrific engine and pulled like a turbine and off road ability was outstanding like the Isuzu had selectable 4x4 so ran on normal tarmac in 2 wheel drive,but by throwing the lever this introduced the front axle and never ever got me bogged down,and rest assured on some really wet farmland it earned its keep,had the Suzuki for about 6-7 years.

Current 4x4 is a top of the range BMW x5 and well over the top luxury wise for a detecting truck if i am honest,but boy do i enjoy driving it,its permanent 4 wheel drive and i guess is more of a 'soft roader' than a 'off roader' this thing has humongous wide tyres that are a fortune too replace,but as they say one does not have pockets in shrouds and i cannot take it with me.Its running a twin turbo diesel and pulls like a train and can get on a long journey about 38mpg which is mind blowing if i am honest out such a big truck,if you use sports mode then although it is ultra quick you can see the fuel evaporating before your eyes.

Prehaps its a age related thing but much prefer my creature comforts these days,although i could sleep easily in the Isuzu and Suzuki the BMW although bigger is not suited as much but i have slept in it a few times. 

Yup...I've read a lot of good reports on the Trooper. Solid outfit.

Jim

• Like 2

As with detectors there is always a trade-off Paul.

A troopy, although more expensive, will probably get you the same on re-sale when you leave if you can buy/sell right. 

I'm not a great Hilux fan.  If you got a single cab and chucked a quad on the back you have limited cab room for all of your stuff.  If you get a dual cab to fit your stuff in you may not fit a quad on the smaller tub/tray - unless you really downsize your quad. 

A mate of mine just bought his son a single cab diesel landcruiser ute in great nick, big tipper tray, extra under tray boxes, bull bar, side bars, driving lights, etc for $15,000 AU.  A decent box on the back for your gear and a fridge slide and room left over for a quad sideways - maybe that would be an option for your trip.

You'd still be in Taj MahPaul though :biggrin:

You going to make it to Victoria this time?

You didn't specify anything about a) towing capacity or b) interior volume other than be able to sleep in it.  Sounds like you aren't planning to haul a 5 YPH trommel into no mans land over boulders. So I'm going to disqualify larger vehicles including my favourite - Yukon XL 2500 4x4 with the 8.1 litre engine (and the same interior space as the Carlsbad Caverns) - on point 3 fuel economy alone :)

Lots of good suggestions - I like the all Toyota and Isuzu options mentioned here myself. One point that maybe should also be on your list of criteria is "reliability" - which rules out Jeeps IMO.  I'm also disinclined to go off-road with "newer" vehicles suffering a +/-30% annual depreciation (not to mention top to bottom wear and tear on everything from paint to frame , from overgrown bush, rocks, sand, mud, and cargo). That, and the needed on-board factory trained technician Luigi connected via a high speed internet connection to a Cray supercomputer to converse with the electronic toys on board, to determine which one put the vehicle into "limp mode" at the worst possible time, because the filler cap is loose. Not joking. Stuff it if you can't fix it with a 9/16 wrench and get an alternator at the gas station in Outer Podunk. Please trust me, BTDT - helicoptering in a Jeep electronic module can really, really ruin your day. 

So, all things considered, in your application I suggest an Audi Allroad Quattro with a Thule roof box on it for your detector, and go wild. 

rex

I had a boxy 94 Trooper bought in 98 that I never put into 4WD until 2010.  I used it like a cargo van for years.  Then I started detecting so I already had 4WD.  I loved that because I could sleep in it and I had it when I found my big nugget.  It will always be in those pictures.  It died and parts are too expensive now.

I've been places with a 2WD 2003 Escalade and had adventures it was never built for but that is what I had.

My present 4WD is a 2002 4Runner.  This model was the last of the narrow 4Runners before they started getting so big.  I consider it to be a highway quad with the Cooper tires I put on it.  Lots of parts for them around but hard to find a good one with low mileage.  Mine is a bit rough.

An alternative with some luxury is an Infiniti QX4.  Many of them are street only around here so they may have a straight frame.

Mitchel

• Like 2

It's Criminal  the USA never got any Diesel Toyota's!!! :angry: I heard it was because nobody could compete

w/ the Toyota  Full size Hilux at 50 mpg?? 

we get prius at 50.  Oz gets 4wd cruiser's at 50mpg ! Think about it........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think it's mainly the cost of compliance tests for the EPA. Takes a lot of vehicle sales to get that cost back.

Jim

• Like 1

Is that for real that USA don't have ANY diesel Toyota's??  That's crazy!!  

The turbo diesel 100 series motors are renowned as one of the best, most reliable motors ever made.  People are still buying old ones and sticking them in Nissan Patrols because the patrol engine had so many issues. 

And the newer dual cab landcruiser ute with the V8 turbo diesel :wub::wub:.  

• Like 1