Simple Detector Rack

Colonel Dan's Detector Rack

Anyone who is into metal detecting knows what its like to pack your vehicle for a day in the field or at the beach. This is what my SUV looked like...and that was on a very organized day!

image.jpeg.fcb7d8cbd0704b94225edc84feabe77c.jpeg

Two detectors, a shovel, a sand scoop, equipment bag and cooler

Not much room left for Miss Mary's suitcase or art equipment when she goes along. Not much usable space for anything else really except for a small area behind the passenger seat. I'm sure everyone has their own version of this load plan but you know the deal.

There had to be a better way. I experimented with different ideas that worked to some level of success but none that fit the primary Cavalry Principle of KISS. I wanted a system that was portable, i.e. easily and quickly installed in and removed from my SUV. It had to be solid and stable with some heft so my detectors could ride safe and sound without tipping over or sliding around back there. Secure vertical stacking seemed to be the solution for me. The question was how to do it.

I thought about several things I could build or re-purpose and finally settled on an unused truck gun rack. It was solidly built for my intended purpose, had rubber protection on the hooks to prevent damaging the detectors and had pre-drilled holes I could use for mounting it on a vertical frame. I decided to use 2x4s: easy to build with enough weight and heft to provide stability for my detectors.

I built a frame that was 20” in height, 24” in width with feet 8” long which prevents tipping over or sliding around when fully loaded with equipment. Padding on the back helps protect the sidewalls of my SUV and a layer on the feet adds an additional level of prevention against slipping.

image.jpeg.8a35bfa63a758a61c134eb9e95c949f5.jpeg

image.jpeg.7fdb88b99cc168314eba536ed07b7b69.jpeg

My detectors finally have a safe place to ride—they're happy campers!

image.jpeg.8650873ce4036c26a078f07dd9722b99.jpeg

And my load plan now looks like this.

image.jpeg.8ae2358e8a56ab8eeb2100aed182dfe8.jpeg

Much more available space for Miss Mary to use any way she likes! Life is good!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Great job on the organization and rack.

And.... "Happy wife, Happy life"....:biggrin:

I have been trying to come up with something for the back of my F-150 King cab and vertical seems to be in the works.