Shaft Play Issue??

TedinVT

Are any Equinox owners seeing the "shaft play" issue where the coil is misaligned with the control head and there is play in the shaft where the control head can be moved left and right?  This issue is being reported in another forum:  Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

I'd say it's most likely user error. There is a feeling of shaft play that comes from the weight of the coil on the end of the rod but it's not enough to effect the use of the machine.

• Like 1

The shaft is a standard shaft with twist locks and lock pins as has been used on countless detectors. There is a minimal amount of play in mine that can shift the head alignment by a tiny amount one way or the other. I have no problem with looseness. I am not saying nobody else does not - I only speak for myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I noticed my old Terra's used to have wear in the camlocks and shafts used to wobble a bit when the wear started . But i never worried about it . 

As for the shafts , its one of the reasons the machine is so cheap , a more expensive shaft would have put the machine into a higher price range which means many might not buying it . Its competition for the Garretts and Deus not the CTX or ET .

I use an Anderson stem with a Terra lower shaft on my Nox so i wont know about issues with the Nox for a long time if ever . Its not the most important thing to me anymore . Its capability is .

• Like 1

That was my post on the other forum. To those who think it was simply a complaint, read it again. I was inquiring about something that I noticed upon assembling my detector, and it appears that a few others have the same issue. It's not a "little play", it's a significant amount (like about two inches). I can literally twist my handgrip left to right (with coil flat on ground) so that the control panel is either one inch left of center or one inch right of center. I've been detecting for over 45 years and have used literally dozens of machines. Never encountered this in any make or model. The unit works as should in my one outing, but I'm guessing that the lower shaft itself, or the camlock on the upper shaft could be defective in some way. No need for anyone to question my intentions. I enjoy all of my Minelabs.

• Like 3

Put a picture on here so we can see . Might be able to help if we saw it . 

Have you removed the handgrip from the stem at all ? There is a little dimple of sorts that goes into a hole in the stem so it wont move . If it has broken off then maybe thats the issue . The dimple thing is on the bit that screws underneath the stem up into the handgrip part.

I thought you were on about the camlocks on the stem which hold the stems together .

• Like 3

I wish I wasn't a hundred years old or I would know how to post a pic or video haha. I do have a video of it on my phone however. Nuke em - The handgrip and upper shaft camlock are tight. It seems that the issue lies where the lower rod goes into the upper shaft. The camlock is tight but you can still twist the lower rod even when seated correctly. I called my dealer yesterday after I picked it up (sent him the video) and he checked his unit and said there was a good amount of play in it as well. He hadn't really noticed it and when you swing the coil it's not a problem.

Download photo or video onto your computer then answer this thread . Below where you are writing on this box you will see a paperclip symbol with drag files here to attach . Click on choose files and then you should see your photos in a box come up on the screen . Double click the one you want.