Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus Equinox

44 minutes ago, Jackpine said:

The X-Terra 705 will never leave the fold here.  For one it is deep in my ground with the proper coil and I have soo many coils for it including a fresh water setup using a coil tek cable extension.

Oh yeah and concentric coils! Did ya hear that Minelab?

I have decided that i will be buying a new 705 soon . I cannot at this time take the chance on a second Equinox when i know how well the Terra does on the dry beaches . As i have the Anderson shaft i can use both and swap whenever i like on the beach . 

I think even though its not waterproof the best coil for the Terra is the one that is supplied with machine as standard in the UK .

The 10.5 inch 7.5khts DD coil . Decent coil cover that lasts too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuke em said:

I have decided that i will be buying a new 705 soon . I cannot at this time take the chance on a second Equinox when i know how well the Terra does on the dry beaches . As i have the Anderson shaft i can use both and swap whenever i like on the beach . 

I think even though its not waterproof the best coil for the Terra is the one that is supplied with machine as standard in the UK .

The 10.5 inch 7.5khts DD coil . Decent coil cover that lasts too.

The DD's are nice and there are some great aftermarket coils available, but for fresh water the concentrics have never failed me in the waterproof department and are a bit sharper on small gold.  Once you learn to dig the iron foil bounces you are in like Flynn.

• Like 1

Another in a series of clarifying posts about these kinds of detectors Steve. Very educational.

I am a" tone's" hunter. I love the sounds the 800 makes, am comfortable running it pretty hot and hardly ever look at the meter for depth. So far the tones give me a good idea of how deep the target is - but this is only on the beach so far. I really like that there are lots of possibilities for tweaking things to ones preferences once you learn the basics. Fun.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, flakmagnet said:

Another in a series of clarifying posts about these kinds of detectors Steve. Very educational.

I am a" tone's" hunter. I love the sounds the 800 makes, am comfortable running it pretty hot and hardly ever look at the meter for depth. So far the tones give me a good idea of how deep the target is - but this is only on the beach so far.  can also like that there are lots of possibilities for tweaking things to ones preferences once you learn the basics. Fun.

Share your settings and mode please . I am having issues trying to get the best out of my 800 . Thanks . Richard

Hi Nuke-um, I don't feel qualified to share settings yet. I am in the 'play around' and 'learning' mode. This is a different kind of detector for me. I have used P.I.'s exclusively for the last 14 years in mostly highly mineralized ground. This detector is taking me into areas I have not hunted much, i.e. beaches and parks. Good luck on your end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Hi Nuke-um, I don't feel qualified to share settings yet. I am in the 'play around' and 'learning' mode. This is a different kind of detector for me. I have used P.I.'s exclusively for the last 14 years in mostly highly mineralized ground. This detector is taking me into areas I have not hunted much, i.e. beaches and parks. Good luck on your end.

I would be happy for any pointers right now . You may have sussed something that i need to know . No one is an expert on this machine , well almost no one . Beaches are what i do a lot and this machine is being a bitch to me LOL

• Like 2

Seems to me you main issue Richard is you keep mentioning low volume and for me Equinox is an ear blaster. There is something wrong in what you are doing in this regard but I do not know what it is. Can you actually visit your dealer or at least contact them to get help? That is what you paid them for and they should be walking you through the correct audio setup. Sometimes a personal visit or phone call works way better than us typing back and forth. If they can’t or won’t help you, time to find a new dealer.

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Seems to me you main issue Richard is you keep mentioning low volume and for me Equinox is an ear blaster. There is something wrong in what you are doing in this regard but I do not know what it is. Can you actually visit your dealer or at least contact them to get help? That is what you paid them for and they should be walking you through the correct audio setup.

They dont have a machine , i think the second batch hasn't turned up yet and all machines go straight out the door . 

When i say low volume i am saying many targets seem deep when they are shallow . On the first outing it was high recovery setting but yesterday it was a bit better at 3 setting . But all sound settings are at max i think . 

I will get a new 705 and see how they compare in sound but i know they are higher toned even if they are the same tones .

A lot of the targets are to low in the pattern , Pound coins come in at 21 to 23 but on the Terra they were / are 32 . Low denomination coins seem very quiet compared to what they were on the Terra .

But anyway when i have finished watching a film (Taken 2 ) i will have a browse on the machine and see what else i can change . 

Thank God for factory resets !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nuke em said:

They dont have a machine , i think the second batch hasn't turned up yet and all machines go straight out the door . 

When i say low volume i am saying many targets seem deep when they are shallow . On the first outing it was high recovery setting but yesterday it was a bit better at 3 setting . But all sound settings are at max i think . 

I will get a new 705 and see how they compare in sound but i know they are higher toned even if they are the same tones .

A lot of the targets are to low in the pattern , Pound coins come in at 21 to 23 but on the Terra they were / are 32 . Low denomination coins seem very quiet compared to what they were on the Terra .

But anyway when i have finished watching a film (Taken 2 ) i will have a browse on the machine and see what else i can change . 

Thank God for factory resets !

Richard

All of the answers you are looking for are there in the manual (ie) "Tone Volume" Page 43,  "Target Tone" Page 46 & "Tone Pitch" Page 47.

Try Target Tone 2 on page 46  then on Page 47 set your "Tone Pitch" as follows TONE 1 (T1) reduce to 1 (Number 1) this covers all of the ferrous and produces next to no sound for small ferrous items,  then Click on the Accept / Reject button \//X to move forward to TONE 2 (T2) increase the Tone Pitch to 25 this is very high.

Then revert to Page 43 "Tone Volume" (Advanced Setting) this is where you turn the volume right up for the two separate TONES 1 & 2  (25 is full whack) and again using the \//X button to move from Tone 1 to Tone 2. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Minelab E-Trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus Equinox