Mixed Results With Equinox 600 So Far

Bayard

• 3 months later...

I've had the Equinox for five months now.  I think I'm up to eight silver coins with it so far, plus multiple Buffalo nickels.  This has been a slow silver year for me, only 23 total, haven't been able to find any promising new sites plus the weather has been too hot to hunt much.

Yesterday I ran the Equinox over a small 30' by 30' patch that I have previously pounded with the Etrac.  Within minutes the Equinox found an eight inch deep wheat cent and a 1947 nickel at about the same depth. 

The eight inch deep wheat cent was a clear signal, albeit with reduced volume, and I was impressed with the find.  The nickel was a strong signal.  This machine loves nickels in Park 2.

8 hours ago, Bayard said:

Yesterday I ran the Equinox over a small 30' by 30' patch that I have previously pounded with the Etrac.  Within minutes the Equinox found an eight inch deep wheat cent and a 1947 nickel at about the same depth.

Settings (including gain)?

On 3/24/2018 at 8:14 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, the Horseshoe button is the same discriminate mode you are hunting in already. The only change when you push the button is all items are set to accept. Each item is still being discriminated (filtered) but is told that anything going through the filter is a good target.

A true all metal mode has no discrimination filter in the first place. Most gold nugget detector primary hunt modes are true unfiltered all metal modes.

Gold Mode is a simulated all metal mode in that it features VCO audio, a common feature in all metal modes, but you can still discriminate items, so obviously targets are passing through the discrimination filter.

The assumption is a true all metal mode is more powerful than a disc mode set to accept all items. I will be the first to question if that is true with Equinox. It’s disc modes are more powerful than most detectors unfiltered all metal modes.

All metal notes

Mixed Mode

Sounds like its a distinction without a distinction for the Nox.  That would make sense, as otherwise you would think ML would just have provided a true all-metal mode that bypassed the discrimination processing.  Might have something to do with speed.  With a lot of older machines, the time taken by discrimination processing is probably a concern; with the Nox, maybe not so much.

8 hours ago, Bayard said:

I've had the Equinox for five months now.  I think I'm up to eight silver coins with it so far, plus multiple Buffalo nickels.  This has been a slow silver year for me, only 23 total, haven't been able to find any promising new sites plus the weather has been too hot to hunt much.

The eight inch deep wheat cent was a clear signal, albeit with reduced volume, and I was impressed with the find.  The nickel was a strong signal.  This machine loves nickels in Park 2.

Having used the Nox for some time now, do you prefer it over the Etrac for hunting coins?  I think I still prefer my Etrac for coins in most places, but that in places with a lot of old iron nails and trash I do better with the Nox. (I am generally searching for high-conductor coins, hoping for silver, and not digging nickels a/k/a pull-tabs.) Other non-performance factors, like weight and screen readability, also push me to grab the Nox sometimes when otherwise I might not.  If I were a relic hunter (I mainly hunt coins) I would probably prefer the Nox everywhere.  I have other machines, including 2 Tesoros and a Racer 2, but have hardly touched them since getting the Nox.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, Dubious said:

Having used the Nox for some time now, do you prefer it over the Etrac for hunting coins?  I think I still prefer my Etrac for coins in most places, but that in places with a lot of old iron nails and trash I do better with the Nox. (I am generally searching for high-conductor coins, hoping for silver, and not digging nickels a/k/a pull-tabs.) Other non-performance factors, like weight and screen readability, also push me to grab the Nox sometimes when otherwise I might not.  If I were a relic hunter (I mainly hunt coins) I would probably prefer the Nox everywhere.  I have other machines, including 2 Tesoros and a Racer 2, but have hardly touched them since getting the Nox.

The Etrac is still my primary coin hunting machine, largely because of the highly accurate depth meter.  My Equinox is used as a followup machine at sites where the Etrac has found silver coins.  It is also my airline travel machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited a site today where my Etrac has found a worn Mercury dime and some wheat cents in the past; but, it struggled with the trashy ground.  I thought this might be a site where my Equinox could make some additional finds.

I got a 1917 Mercury dime in outstanding condition, probably dropped close to 100 years ago, and two additional wheat cents from the 1930s.

• Like 5

I returned to site 2 today, hoping nearly six months of experience with the Equinox would give me enough skill to make some additional finds.

Park 2 allowed me to find three additional wheats cents, plus my first ever Barber half.  It's a worn 1904, and it wasn't particularly deep.

• Like 2