Mixed Results With Equinox 600 So Far

Bayard

Also interested in Bayard's question re how the dime sounded.  On my second Mercury dime with the Equinox 600, I recall I had doubts as there was some iron grunting on some swings mixed in with the high tones (this is a very trashy site with rusty nails everywhere). But, I was getting fairly consistent TID numbers in the high-conductor range, so dug. There was at least one nail, but not touching the dime.

No more silvers since then (yet), just clad and a bunch of deceptive bent rusty nails :)

Sounds like some great site options you have Bayard.  And I like your approach... canvassing the ground with the Etrac for keepers, then going back over with the Equinox to snag the more masked targets.  How do you like the 2 tone option on the Equinox?  Is that similar to what you are running on the Etrac? Tim.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Sounds like some great site options you have Bayard.  And I like your approach... canvassing the ground with the Etrac for keepers, then going back over with the Equinox to snag the more masked targets.  How do you like the 2 tone option on the Equinox?  Is that similar to what you are running on the Etrac? Tim.

I like the tone break at 22.  I can use it with 2 tones or 50 tones, although I've been using 2 tones.

I like it because it high tones on silver coins and low tones on nickels, much like an Etrac.  I didn't initially realize that a 600 could do this, since the 800 is promoted as having adjustable nonferrous tones; however, this is a great setup to avoid zincolns and find everything else.

• Like 1

My early Wheats and Indian Head Cents have been ringing up 20-21 so be careful ignoring zincs signals.. I use depth to make dig decisions on the zinc signals when I’m in Old Coin cherry pick Mode..

Bryan

• Like 2

Site 9:  I found a 1962-D dime and a wheat cent with my Etrac.  The silver dime was a very faint signal.  The Equinox then got me a 1952-D dime with a strong signal, plus another wheat cent. 

The Equinox seems to find quite a bit of clad that the Etrac misses, including quarters.