Visiting With Jim Straight

2 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

An immensly importantly figure in the growth of amateur prospecting in the U.S.  Also a great man.

I’ll second that. I thoroughly enjoyed his publications and our hunts together in the Nevada and California deserts

• Like 2

I've got a signed copy of one of his books sitting around here somewhere.  Don't remember which one it is right off hand.   He's been helpful.   He used to post over on Carl's old Metal Detecting Equipment  forum site occasionally.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

Gosh, sorry I didn't make it up there, I could have seen you and Jim...but, I was down in the desert trying to snag a nugget or two with Norm and my buddy, Jeff...

I am sure I was a spectacle tottering around trying to swing my gpz and keep my balance.

See you sometime, Chris

fred

• Like 2

On 3/5/2018 at 1:23 AM, Reno Chris said:

I was at the GPAA gold show in southern California (Pomona) recently and had the pleasure of having Jim Straight sit in with me in the ICMJ booth for some hours on both days. It was fun, though at 88 Jim is slowing down just a little. Otherwise, he is doing fine. Jim was not the oldest prospector at the show, Pete Pederson was there and he is 90. I hope I can hang in that long! For those who dont know, Jim is one of the early day metal detecting prospectors, I think he got involved in the 1970s or something like that. He is well known for the books on prospecting that he has written.  Some of the members of the forum might like to know that he is still up and at it.

jim_straight01.jpg

Thanks Chris for posting the above photo. Good to see that he is able to get about and attend the rock and mineral shows in that area. Jim’s prospecting articles and books, metal detector reviews, and his enthusiasm to engage with hobbyists has earned him respect and admiration throughout the prospecting and mining community. 

I made his acquaintance many years ago and we subsequently have corresponded down through the years, usually about detectors, and rocks and minerals. In recent times I’ve made an extra effort to describe to him our prospecting trips up here in northeastern Ontario, and provide lots of photos so that he can easily visualize our search environs, our diggings, and our silver recoveries. 

It’s no accident that so many hobbyists over the years have remarked on these forums that Jim Straight has sent them signed copies of his books. I have no doubt that a kindly letter frequently accompanies those books as well. I might add that my books were gifted to me, and I’m certain that he has been equally thoughtful and generous to many others in the hobby.

That’s it for now… just wanted to add my two cents about a fine individual, a friend, a mentor, and in the annals of modern prospecting in the great southwest… he has been a Pathfinder.

Jim.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1