Steve, Your View On Recovery Speed On The Equinox?

Steve,

I have seen several posts by new owners of Equinox's who have been tinkering with the recovery speed, in most cases lowering it significantly.  What is your view on this?  It seems to me that doing this would comprise one of the strong points of the Equinox versus say an Explorer or CTX. 

Bill

I have a long post on the subject maybe later today. Short answer? Too fast can hurt you and too slow can hurt you. It has to be adjusted according not only to the density of the trash but the actual ground mineral conditions. Lower settings = more depth and faster settings = less depth is totally wrong unless you detect in the air.

I have a hard time discussing things with people who always think in terms of absolute depth in the air or in neutral ground. If a faster recovery speed allows a detector to see a target at two inches in dense trash that a detector with a slower recovery speed misses, which detector is “going deeper”?

Recovery Speed, Recovery Delay, And Reactivity

Owners Manual Page 51:

CDBC14C8-48D6-4523-AD18-F76057AD5E85.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Lower settings = more depth and faster settings = less depth is totally wrong unless you detect in the air.

The manual page you posted says increased speed results in "less detection depth."  Some clarification would be appreciated.

Recovery speed works separation-deep, mineralization as well as coil size, low recovery speed as large coil, high recovery speed as small coil .. clearly within a certain range ... and smaller coil can be used on the same separation as standard coil less recovery speed .... it means good depth and sensitivity ...Recovery speed at equinox is a combination ground filter and recovery delay....to one setting...

1 hour ago, Bayard said:

The manual page you posted says increased speed results in "less detection depth."  Some clarification would be appreciated.

Absolutely true if you are detecting in the air or in non-mineralized white Florida sand with exactly one target in the ground.

As I said, more later. I did provide a link already to an earlier discussion of the subject plus the full page in the manual that explains what I am talking about. It would be good to read it all instead of quoting one line out of context.

If lowest setting = more depth under all circumstances why even have the control? I ask again, If a faster recovery speed allows a detector to see a target at two inches in dense trash that a detector with a slower recovery speed misses, which detector is “going deeper”?

• Like 6

Seems to be a difficult concept for some to grasp. Just like the whole mono vs. DD coil and "depth" in the nugget shooting world.

Dean

• Like 2

Depth is such a relative term I don't like  the discussion how deep is x detector vs y detector? Well that depends what tragets you hunt , what site conditions trashy, irony and soil conditions mineralized non mineralized. So, if you swing say an FBS like the ctx or a slower vlf in heavy iron or dense trash or heavy mineralized ground you have now in effect lost depth as the slow recovery speed combined with how well a machine like a  ctx ignores iron it will actually  "mask" or miss targets all together even shallow ones. Now this is where the equinox shines in my experience so far. That faster recovery speed and (it's fast) combined with it's separation ability plus the multi iq  even at high recovery speeds provides greater "depth" then say the ctx in that environment simply because the equinox sees the target at 4" that was masked or just missed  by other slower recovery speed of other smower machines or if you drop the recovery speed back on the equinox to far it loses it's performance in that situation.  So, again it depends what you mean by depth. People get so caught up and worried about depth. Far more targets are hidden or masked then at great depths in many locations. So, the question suched be  what do I need depth wise at this site? or this soil? For this location. Because it's not always the same. What is the site ? If, it's iron carpet I need recovery speed far more then raw "depth"  If, it's widely spaced targets in mild soil with low trash in plowed farm fields then I may need to squeeze out a little more depth. That's the beauty of this machine you can do both. So, I ask what really do you mean by depth?

• Like 3

This afternoon,  I bumped up the reactivity to 8  to try it in an entrance area of a small ballpark. I also dropped the Sens to 15.  Its grass over gravel, so I did not want to dig deep anyway.  I hit this area with the last 5 detectors.   It has lots of alum pulltabs.  I have my audio system set up very close to Bill S.  settings   . The  nickel area is  med high vol and tone,18 and up hi vol and tone.  I was amazed how many coins were still there in that 10 x 20 foot area.   The coin signals really stood out amongst the alum.   That 6" coil will really be the cats meow!  The EQ is really fun to use!   

• Like 6

I have done the same thing Redneck, bumped the audio tones and volume higher in two notches I have fashioned; a notch around 13 (nickels), and a notch above 18. I have slightly lowered both the tones and the volume in two other notches. It makes targets jump out of the noise. I still dig lots of signals that seem to be ferrous just to make sure I am learning to hear the ranges different targets fall into...it's fun.  

• Like 2