Indiana Gold And Minerals

By the way, the gold in Indiana came from glaciers which brought it down from Lake Superior area or so we have been told.

And there are loads of limestone quarries in the state which mine this limestone for making cement. I was told the reddish dirt that is removed by bulldozers off the top of the limestone, is actually the glacial till material and can be loaded with copper and gold specks and small nuggets .The mining companies don't seem to want this trash dirt. They shove it all into the woods.My friend found a nickel size,1 /8 inch thick, gold nugget some years back in a limestone bedrock crack while highbanking. If only I had a few acres of land where I could buy this dirt and have it dumped on my land to mine out later? How does one approach a limestone mining company about doing this? My friend already tried writing them letters and they just ignore him. Heck, this was before the Pay to mine thing set in . Might be an opportunity here?

Photo shows copper nuggets metal detected from on top of bare limestone bedrock from about year 2003 I think, before I ever owned a digital camera, found with Whites MXT and 6 x 9 coil in Prospect mode.

-T

post-353-0-77600100-1421620038_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I would think the only way to get the mining companies to dump the overburden is to convince them it would save them money to do so, there's no way they would even consider it if it's going to cost them more money to dump the overburden elsewhere, e,g, money talks.

Tom... congratulations on your copper nuggets, you had to work for them.  Nuggets and especially copper / rock specimens I've seen from Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula have an inherently unique beauty. These command extraordinary prices at an upper peninsula rockshop. If any native silver is attached to a primarily copper / rock sample,  the price escalates sharply. 

Glad to see you regularly posting here on the forum Tom.  You've had some well-deserved success with your Indiana glacial gold... doggone it... a first-rate picker. Well done!!!  :)

Jim.

Thanks Jim

Glad to see you are still around? I am thinking about a trip to northern New Hampshire around May/June to do some dredging/sluicing ,maybe could meet up with you ? Need to see my relatives in central New York 1st and apply for a New Hampshire dredge permit. They are kinda strange there? New Hampshire prospecting rules say you cannot use a shovel to dig in the streambed but you can use a gold pan to scoop up gravels and if you pay us $50, you can use up to a 4 inch nozzle gold dredge. So, whats the problem with a shovel I wonder?

-T

• Like 1

Sorry Tom, it won't be possible to be in New Hampshire at that time of year. I hope to be at the family cottage across from the Sandbanks on Prince Edward Island, and may take a break to head north to silver country in northeastern Ontario over the long Victoria Day May 24th weekend for a week or three... just depends on circumstances. Have a safe trip, please take some scenery shots, and otherwise good luck with everything!!!  :)

Jim.

Unknown Indiana rock specimen found when out gold panning.Appears to be made of sandstone? Looks kinda like coral? Found at the base of a tall sandy cliff on a creek but a thunderstorm toppled trees down onto the collecting area and that was that..I showed this to a state geologist at a GPAA chapter meeting and he had no idea what it is...somebody said it might be a fulgerite...what happens when lightning hits sand..but them things are hollow and don't look like this..anybody wanna hazard a guess?

-T

post-353-0-91031300-1422161429_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And lastly, I bought this specimen at an Indiana rock shop and was told it was a pyrite crystal cluster thing from a quarry in Indianapolis? Where would you even look for something like this in a gravel or limestone quarry? It looks more yellow in room light, more silvery with the flash on my camera.Background is a large hand sized  coal slab I picked out of a creek while out gold prospecting.

post-353-0-35570900-1422161642_thumb.jpg

• Like 1