phrunt

Convert Equinox To S Shaft?

I would like mine on this, I just love this type of Shaft

shaft-645x361.jpg

http://en.marsmd.com/catalog/marsmd-universal-shaft/

I don't know if it will fit, I'm contacting them to ask. It slides up pretty small for transport too.

46 minutes ago, phrunt said:

shaft-645x361.jpg

I don't know if it will fit, I'm contacting them to ask. It slides up pretty small for transport too.

I hate the straight shaft of the Equinox.  If I had access to a tube bender, I'd put an S bend in the middle rod and try to replicate the feel of a Fisher F75.

I've never bothered to use an arm strap on any of my other detectors; however, my arm won't stay in the arm cuff without a strap on the Equinox.  I expect the problem will get even worse when using a large coil.

Will White's sell the S shaft for the V3i?  Is there some other S shaft alternative?  I don't think the Mars universal shaft is a good choice since the Equinox control box already has a built in hand grip.

• Like 2

I haven't got my Equinox yet, waiting for my supplier to get back from a Dredging trip, I'll have to see how I like the shaft before considering my options, but that Mars Shaft is the style I like.  Shame it won't be suitable for the Equinox.

Yes I have found the straight shaft on the GM 1000 & the EQ not overly favourable. More in the conditions I detect in with a lot of uneven ground when placing the detector down to dig/scrape a signal. There always seems to be protruding bedrock that bellies out the detector shaft half way down causing the detector to roll over. The things we have to put up with :rolleyes:. The GMT & GB2 are better with there shaft configuration. The Zed with it 14" coil helps anchor it in place when placed down. And the GP/GPX's with the control box hanging down a bit gave the straight shaft a bit of height, so was nowhere as bad at wanting to roll over.  Cheers

JW :smile:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Depends how you ask the question...

Shaft Design Poll

Grip Design Poll

An S rod for an Equinox would have to have the bend between the coil and the control box, like a Fisher F75 or V3i, since the Equinox has an integrated hand grip.  I wouldn't mount the Equinox control box on an S rod where the bent portion of the rod was intended as a hand grip. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

shaft-645x361.jpg

appears to be an XP Deus knock off and have similar square tubing so may be challenging to fit the Nox components on it.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

shaft-645x361.jpg

its basically an XP Deus shaft trhe problems i see with this retro fitted for a nox is the control box is about 6" tall  or more, you would have to mount that on top of the grip which is about 4-5" tall... so you would be looking at a top heavy 10" tall detector it may slide compact lengthwise but expand the other direction... would take alot of fitting to make it feel right.

• Thanks 1

so the biggest dilemma here is it would make the detector about a foot tall and nowhere for the upper shaft to recess if mounted lower.. pulled my deus handle out to show you basically a handle on top of another handle as the control box and battery are built into the Nox handle

double.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the Xterra shaft the same diameter as the Equinox shaft? 

If so, I'd think the S shaped middle rod of an Xterra could be adapted to the Equinox.  I think the Xterra locking pin in on the side, as opposed to on the bottom for the Equinox; however, I don't think that would be difficult to change.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ed 1
      Hi, a good friend of mine lost his father about 5 years previously and has worn his fathers ring ever since. Four months ago my friend broke a bone in his hand and changed the ring to a finger on the other hand. The ring dropped off his finger as he was cutting the grass, unfortunately the mower was a ride on type and could have dropped off in any one of three small fields. Would I be better off switching to gold mode or leaving the equinox in field 2. In gold mode will it ignore all other metals(would save me a lot of time if it did ). Any ideas to my best approach? Regards Ed 
    • By JohnnyRox
      with the narrow (-9 - 40) VDI?  
      Could Minelab update the Nox with a full range VDI?  Couldn't that possibly help with discrimination of bottle caps?
    • By Horst
      Dear fellow hunters,
      does anybody have a listing of VDI numbers for small / medium / large Gold coins?
      Unfortunately I don't have any othwise I could run my Nox over them.
      If anybody is able to help me....... I am mostly hunting in Field 1
      Many thanks in advance
      Horst
    • By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By Flowdog
      At last, I am meeting an old friend for our first detecting session together. We bought our Equinoxs last March and I have used mine a lot. He hasn't used his very much. It just dawned on me that I don't know how to adjust our machines to reduce/eliminate interference with each other. The manual says to keep about 45 feet apart. That is my recollection, but I will check that simple factoid against my simple memory. But I am hoping to stay closer if it is possible to adjust settings.
      My instinct would be to go through my normal routine first- before turning on his detector. Recently, I have my pinpointer on before I turn my detector on (thanks Steve). This has nearly eliminated pinpointer jitters in my headphones. I plan to turn both pinpointers on before I set up my unit as usual. Once all is set, then I will have him turn on #2 and.set it up and noise cancel it against the competition. Any and all suggestions to revise my plan are welcome. 
      Last consideration, which is highly improbable, is using WM08 to share audio on a single machine. The one time we shared audio was in the cockpit of his Cessna, and we reverted back to 5th grade behavior at 5000 feet. We barely made it back. I have high confidence that it would be extremely unproductive to be linked to him for any amount of time. He would be in full agreement.
      -curtis
    • By 2Valen
      I finally broke down and got serious about updating my 800, and like most people that has had problems when using Windows 7 I looked for a fix.
      After a short time of confusion about what was going on and not really finding any answers, I turned to YouTube and found the solution.
      Simply put the problem is not the program but the compatibility to Win 7.
      So all one has to do is the following:
      Before running the program,
      Highlight and right click on the program and scroll down to troubleshoot compatibility.
      Click on troubleshoot compatibility and click on Try recommended settings, click next, and then start program.
      That is all you need to do to get it to work.

I hope that this helps someone else out there.