phrunt

Convert Equinox To S Shaft?

I would like mine on this, I just love this type of Shaft

shaft-645x361.jpg

http://en.marsmd.com/catalog/marsmd-universal-shaft/

I don't know if it will fit, I'm contacting them to ask. It slides up pretty small for transport too.

46 minutes ago, phrunt said:

shaft-645x361.jpg

I don't know if it will fit, I'm contacting them to ask. It slides up pretty small for transport too.

I hate the straight shaft of the Equinox.  If I had access to a tube bender, I'd put an S bend in the middle rod and try to replicate the feel of a Fisher F75.

I've never bothered to use an arm strap on any of my other detectors; however, my arm won't stay in the arm cuff without a strap on the Equinox.  I expect the problem will get even worse when using a large coil.

Will White's sell the S shaft for the V3i?  Is there some other S shaft alternative?  I don't think the Mars universal shaft is a good choice since the Equinox control box already has a built in hand grip.

• Like 2

I haven't got my Equinox yet, waiting for my supplier to get back from a Dredging trip, I'll have to see how I like the shaft before considering my options, but that Mars Shaft is the style I like.  Shame it won't be suitable for the Equinox.

Yes I have found the straight shaft on the GM 1000 & the EQ not overly favourable. More in the conditions I detect in with a lot of uneven ground when placing the detector down to dig/scrape a signal. There always seems to be protruding bedrock that bellies out the detector shaft half way down causing the detector to roll over. The things we have to put up with :rolleyes:. The GMT & GB2 are better with there shaft configuration. The Zed with it 14" coil helps anchor it in place when placed down. And the GP/GPX's with the control box hanging down a bit gave the straight shaft a bit of height, so was nowhere as bad at wanting to roll over.  Cheers

JW :smile:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Depends how you ask the question...

Shaft Design Poll

Grip Design Poll

An S rod for an Equinox would have to have the bend between the coil and the control box, like a Fisher F75 or V3i, since the Equinox has an integrated hand grip.  I wouldn't mount the Equinox control box on an S rod where the bent portion of the rod was intended as a hand grip. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

shaft-645x361.jpg

appears to be an XP Deus knock off and have similar square tubing so may be challenging to fit the Nox components on it.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

shaft-645x361.jpg

its basically an XP Deus shaft trhe problems i see with this retro fitted for a nox is the control box is about 6" tall  or more, you would have to mount that on top of the grip which is about 4-5" tall... so you would be looking at a top heavy 10" tall detector it may slide compact lengthwise but expand the other direction... would take alot of fitting to make it feel right.

• Thanks 1

so the biggest dilemma here is it would make the detector about a foot tall and nowhere for the upper shaft to recess if mounted lower.. pulled my deus handle out to show you basically a handle on top of another handle as the control box and battery are built into the Nox handle

double.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the Xterra shaft the same diameter as the Equinox shaft? 

If so, I'd think the S shaped middle rod of an Xterra could be adapted to the Equinox.  I think the Xterra locking pin in on the side, as opposed to on the bottom for the Equinox; however, I don't think that would be difficult to change.