phrunt

Convert Equinox To S Shaft?

I was lucky that I had no twist with stock but I have not used the Nox very much yet either...but when I have used it my arm was tired so I knew I had to change the shaft.  It's a shame they are not like White's with the different options they provided for shafts on many units.  The hardest part of my project was cutting off the old X grip and grinding the welds off without hurting the shaft.  I then drilled the hole for the Nox head mount and the head unit bolted perfectly on the X shaft.  But I also cut off the middle shaft X clamp and installed a Plugger Minelab adapter clamp to make sure no twist in the lower rod from the weight of a 15" coil (I don't have it yet though.) Since I used the entire X shaft system I also had to dremel out the washer area of the lower rod to reduce the width in between the coil ears & drilled the hole larger for the Nox bolt...The X stem/washers seemed to push the ears out a bit and I don't want to break a coil from my mods.  It took just a bit over an hour, but I have all of the tools.  With your mod and specific details, and what I found out about the X shaft system, I think people can come up with some other ideas and maybe Minelab will do the same as a result so we can buy OEM?  I love the unit even more now and will have it out again later today once it breaks 35 here.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 8:10 PM, MentalDetectorist said:

so the biggest dilemma here is it would make the detector about a foot tall and nowhere for the upper shaft to recess if mounted lower.. pulled my deus handle out to show you basically a handle on top of another handle as the control box and battery are built into the Nox handle

double.jpg

Imagining the nox head unit atop the handle of that lower rod, one design I haven't seen yet for a head unit like this is making the head unit foldable. When not in use and for storage/traveling, fold the head unit forward, flat against the top of the rod or even fold it backward and down against the rear of the handle.

I loved the Deus shaft and the sliding stems!  The battery in the grip of the Nox provides special issues with this shaft...I tried to find a way to make one work too.  A folding head unit would be a great idea though!!

so with all these mods.... does the Nox swing much better? I'd love to do one too but I sure don't want to do all of this and find out it's no better or even worse. thanks y'all.  

I think it swings much better with the "S" rod than the straight shaft. With the straight shaft, the detector tries to twist at the end of each swing as you stop the swing to make the detector swing in the opposit direction. The twist or torque is eliminated with the S rod. It also helps to move the coil a little further out from your feet so you can cover more ground with each swing while reducing the effort required to switch swing direction. 

• Like 1

The whole reason I wanted S shaft is for the swing balance.  I've had or tried out almost 2 dozen detectors over 25 years and the S has been my favorite due the way the feel while swinging.  That said, the Deus shaft was my favorite grip and the way it scoped out, but it is so light in every respect to make it completely different.  The Nox made my hand want to push up to the head unit and caused string on my shoulder due to "angle of attack" of the coil when swinging...I've also had 2 shoulder surgeries that make it so that I would switch to my left hand when using even the Xterra...I could not swing the Nox with my left because of the balance issue on a straight shaft.  Now it swings better, for me, imho.  And I did noting to the stock stuff except remove the head unit/grip and the coil bolt, so other than a bit of cash and some time, I can go back to stock in minutes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SpyderByte said:

The whole reason I wanted S shaft is for the swing balance.  I've had or tried out almost 2 dozen detectors over 25 years and the S has been my favorite due the way the feel while swinging.  That said, the Deus shaft was my favorite grip and the way it scoped out, but it is so light in every respect to make it completely different.  The Nox made my hand want to push up to the head unit and caused string on my shoulder due to "angle of attack" of the coil when swinging...I've also had 2 shoulder surgeries that make it so that I would switch to my left hand when using even the Xterra...I could not swing the Nox with my left because of the balance issue on a straight shaft.  Now it swings better, for me, imho.  And I did noting to the stock stuff except remove the head unit/grip and the coil bolt, so other than a bit of cash and some time, I can go back to stock in minutes.

so what shaft did you use then? where are they available? any pictures? thanks for the info.

Martygene, on page 2 I have a completed picture, but I didn't take any along the way because I wasn't thinking about it. Sorry.  I actually picked up the Xterra shaft on fleabay.  I've owned an Xterra prior to my Deus and the Nox, so I was very familiar with the swing of an S shaft.  As mentioned on page 2 also, I had to actually cut off the grip on the xterra and that takes some tools and care not to butcher the underlying shaft...they weld the aluminum upright on the aluminum upper shaft so it needs to have the welds ground off.  That being said, the Nox head unit/grip fit perfectly on the Xterra shaft and went almost in the exact same spot.

sorry to keep bothering you SpyderByte but so far I see a S Xterra shaft for 52.95. Then I would need a lower shaft and the part the sticks out the back with the armrest, right? I don't see those on fleabay. Or were you able to use the Nox parts? Thanks

i just found the entire shaft pieces for 65. plus a ridiculous shipping charge of 31.00  is that about what I would expect to pay or should I keep looking? Thanks