• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been laid up for over a week with the friggin flu, but JW's finds with the Equinox inspired me today.  A sunny 78 degrees in the Desert Southwest, so I decided some fresh air and detecting were i

My advice would be reduce the sensitivity until the coil falsing stops, then test the machine for depth on gold against other similarly priced general purpose detectors and on larger gold, not just mi

JW, If you manage to do some filming, please include the bump sensitivity part.  If people think the new Equinox is the ultimate VLF gold detector, they're going to be disappointed.  It is a very

Posted Images

Sometimes I like to do just that.....

Haven't done it with the 800 yet, but one of these days I'm sure it will happen.

Thanks for the info on settings.

Congrats on the dinks.  :smile:

Good job there precious.....:biggrin:

I went back to the beach today---- Zequinox is deadly on quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies---- oh thats about all of them....man i dug one quarter that was over a foot deep-- i have a video of the hole i will add later.....

I am glad to hear that it is hitting on that small gold--- i will take it to australia this year instead of the Monster and see if i can get some time in on some steep washes... (the 7000 kills me on those wash walls)

Oh yeah---there isnt a bottle cap the Zequinox doesnt love!!!!!!! Man it hit like crazy on them.

So was the 800 pretty stable out there today??? How's EMI?? Have you notice any at all???

TTYL tater..

29_VID_DEEP.mp4

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Condor said:

You'd have to be pretty bored to make this kind of detecting a habit, but it served its purpose today. 

Ha Ha.......have to agree with that Condor but it is a bit of fun every now & again. Pretty impressive though for that 11"  coil don't you think? Good effort. Might just head out for a few hours to where I got my 5 littlies & see if I can't wrestle some more with my EQ 800.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

1 hour ago, vanursepaul said:

Good job there precious.....:biggrin:

I went back to the beach today---- Zequinox is deadly on quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies---- oh thats about all of them....man i dug one quarter that was over a foot deep-- i have a video of the hole i will add later.....

I am glad to hear that it is hitting on that small gold--- i will take it to australia this year instead of the Monster and see if i can get some time in on some steep washes... (the 7000 kills me on those wash walls)

Oh yeah---there isnt a bottle cap the Zequinox doesnt love!!!!!!! Man it hit like crazy on them.

So was the 800 pretty stable out there today??? How's EMI?? Have you notice any at all???

TTYL tater..

Go ahead and take the equinox to oz. Just leave the 7000 here with me and ill make sure it finds enough to finally be paid off. Lol. After im done i will forward it to oz thru Fedex. Lol

very impressive, Condor;

especially considering your skills with other machines...I get mine soon....

Paul; apparently iron bottle caps are a weak spot for the Equinox...anybody figured a way to ignore most of them?

fred

Not yet Fred-- they are a 14 just like gold rings

detectorcomparisons had a youtube on the CTX and the Zeequinox side by side-yesterday----- he showed the separation issue by using a gold ring and a bottle cap--- the Zeke would hit hard on 14 for both----the CTX would separate them by a few points--- i cant remember the numbers exactly ..but you know how easy it got to predict a bottle cap with the CTX---not so with the Zeke--- 14 is 14!----

But..... the quarters and 50 cent pieces had a bigger separation in the Equinox than did the CTX---so there's  where i would grab more scale real estate if I could...

I posited that maybe the gurus at ML could do a software update that would stretch out the readings of the bottle caps and gold---

if there is a only a certain amount of room on the scale--say 0-40 then i would gladly give up  some of the scale in the 25- 40 range--I am digging ALL of those targets anyway.  If it is over 25 it is dug!

Fred,

I know this is an over simplistic view of the VDI spectrum scale but that's how my mind works--- overly simple--- (shut up Scott)

By the way i sold the CTX last week,,, so now I have the exclusive  ability to clean the beach of bottle caps...lolol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BemvFxLDmzMOHFh02

3-6-ZEKE.thumb.jpg.c54ba97586aec679875c1356b2b4058e.jpg

• Like 3

The machine with these high settings is very bump sensitive.  From my previous tests with test nuggets, if you were concentrating on 1/2 gram and larger nuggets you could turn down the threshold to near silence.  It will cut out about half of the bump falsing and still hit the nuggets pretty clearly.  You can certainly turn down the Sens and achieve less falsing, but over test nuggets the depth drops off dramatically.  Real world results on undug targets may differ.  Bear in mind this is basically my 3rd time out with this detector, so don't count my word as gospel.  I like the machine, and I want to like it even more because of its weight and ease of use. 

Paul:  No problems with EMI 10 miles outside of sunny Yuma.  The Marine F22's fly  here everyday and they play havoc at times with the GPZ, but no issues with the Nox.  I detected directly under power lines and there was a noticeable hum, but no real problem.  

Edit 3/10 - See follow up post.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Allen M
      Hello I live in Las Vegas anybody have suggestions where I can go. I have a equinox 800 and I believe I have problems with it. Have not found any gold and getting frustrated with very little help from Minelab. Need ground I can test it out on tkk on se if there is a problem with it. 

any help would be appreciated 
    • By phrunt
      It was election day in NZ yesterday and it was already well known we were going to have a landslide victory to the current government due to their Covid handling more than anything, it was the Covid election rather than a political one so rather than staying home seeing that on TV all day I decided to go for an afternoon hunt.   Mitchel drove the other day 4 hours for one nugget, while I can't match that I was going to drive an hour for similar results only if I found a nugget it would likely be smaller than his 🙂
      I was going back to a place right near JW's house mainly because it's the shortest drive to a gold area from my house but we have both absolutely slammed it especially with it being only a few minutes drive from JW's house too.  This particular little area we've spent days on end at, many days.  We've both done well at it but the gold dried up, JW said he's done with the spot but I wanted to try one more thing before giving up on it, my 8" X-coil there.   I honestly didn't think I'd find anything but with only a few hours and even less if I drove off further it had to do.   I could explore other areas in the similar area but I wanted to try the coil at this spot where we'd both done well on the gold before. 
      My first target was one I knew was there, I'd hit the target many times in the past but never bothered to dig it knowing it was junk but my curiosity got the best of me so I dug it up.

It was down deeper than I expected for such a booming target.

It was a little old tin, a shame the miner that threw it out or lost it didn't have the gold stashed in it 😞
      I was detecting around for an hour or so with very little targets at all other than shotgun pellets that I was just ignoring with the double blip the GPZ does on close targets and if they disappeared in a scrape or so they were rejected for the next guy 😛
      I then had a really nice sounding rather faint signal, one that was pretty confident might be my first gold of the day.  I dug, and dug and got down quite deep and the target was now screaming so I went over to my bag and got my Nox to try narrow down where it was as the GPZ was roaring on it so I couldn't pinpoint it, I had a feeling at this point it wasn't gold as the signal was too good, if it was gold I was in the wrong country as it was too big 🙂
      The Nox was giving odd ID's, for such a big screaming target it was favoring the lower ID numbers between 1 and 10 or so, I was a bit confused but narrowed it down to being a rock 😞
      What kind of rock would behave this way? I smashed it open and it had tiny little flakes in it that was sparkly like a silvery type colour.

I put the Equinox down in the hole to try show how deep the rock was.  It didn't really work but it was deep.

They didn't sparkle as much in the photo or on camera as in the sunlight.
      After that disappointment I was struggling with wanting to continue, I'd had that I'm giving up feeling thinking I wasn't going to get any gold and i got another faint signal quite close to that last signal, a couple of feet at most.  I thought here goes, it's another rock.

I scraped away at the ground and the target moved.... here goes, a pellet.  I was a bit puzzled by that as I'd done this exact spot before with the GPZ and 10" and the Nox, even the Gold Bug 2 and Monster had been over this little area so was puzzled I'd missed a pellet.  It's right near where I found various nuggets weighting around 9 grams not too long ago and JW had also got another 2 or 3 grams from it too.  No target was left I thought, but I was wrong... maybe gold does grow back 🙂

Maybe the little guy was on edge of something and fell over onto the flat or something, I have no idea. I was very surprised to find it.   This is my new scoop, I absolutely love it, I saw it was the one Steve used so figured I best try it out.  The flat base makes life so much easier recovering tiny targets getting them close to the coil, and it has sharpened edges for scraping which is very handy, much better than the round traditional scoops people use.  The little gold riffles I thought was a bit of a gimmick but they do really work.

I found a big spider too, you don't see many big spiders in NZ and none are harmful except a small colony of Aussie Red backs that were accidentally introduced into a small area in the same region, they haven't spread though and are isolated to one spot.  I still jump a bit when a spider comes out, especially a big one after spending most of my life in Australia where they all want to kill you. 🙂
      No more gold for the afternoon so time to head home, it was starting to rain a bit anyway.

So my little nugget, it was 0.058 of a gram until I cleaned it, should have left it dirty 🙂
      The other good news, my WM12 has started working, I was having a lot of trouble with it on previous trips with the audio constantly dropping out, this time it was fine, no idea why or how, different location so maybe it was some weird interference at the other spot that kept making it play up even on multiple days.  It dropped out a few times but in normal scenarios you would expect it to drop.   This time I was using the WM12 with my SP01 as I'd rigged up my harness how I liked it, it meant I ran the GPZ volume on 4 and let the booster do al the work previously when using the GPZ here I'd just run the WM12 with no extra speaker or SP01.  I really think a low GPZ volume with the booster doing the work makes faint targets stand out more, the GPZ appears to run smoother.
      So nothing too exciting from my afternoon hunt except the weird rock!
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      One of my customers recently found a stunning: near 4 pound quartz boulder with just under 11 ozt of gold with his GPX-5000.
      Just goes to show you those multi thousand dollar treasures are still out there being dug up.
      Yes this came from the lower 48 states.
      Good luck everyone.

• By Rob Allison
      Hey Guys/Gals,
        It's been a bit since I posted anything.  The forums are very slow, at least mine here.  I have to get all you guys/gals more fired up to post more stuff so we all can learn from each other and share experiences.  
      That being said, the COVID-19 really changed how we do stuff, let alone set out mass FEAR to the World. There is no doubt it's real, but I will just leave it there and talk about gold nuggets! 
      I managed to get out recently and had a nice run of luck with the Minelab GPZ 7000.  I rounded up over an ounce in one day working any old channel.  All the gold was down on bedrock and it was difficult to get some out of the cracks as they were covered and full of hard pack Caliche (notice the color or caliche on the gold).  
      Just over 31 Dwt's (20 Dwt's = 1 Troy Ounce).  Not a bad days work getting 1.5 ounces of the good stuff. 
      God is Great.
      Rob

• By calabash digger
      How does the new Apex stack up to the Minelab 6 inch coil????

• By LuckyLundy
      Not that I wanted to see if it could be done, it’s only 130 miles!  My Wife Robin, needed to dig a nugget...she hasn’t been out since our move to Reno.  Now, you always have a mental note of stuff to pack.  We loaded her Grand Cherokee, for this adventure off we go!  Arrived to a location, I figured she’d have some luck at with her SDC 2300.  Gearing up, I’m looking for both of our new Doc’s Scoops...What the Heck!  Left them both at home!  Well, I know I’ve used my hand as a scoop a few times!  But, onetime I forgot my scoop and as I was recovering a nugget I opened my hand to see the target and a Scorpion crawled out of my hand and the nugget went sky high, I later found its landing spot.  Since then, I’ve learned that a cut water bottle will get ya by as a scoop and save you from tossing good target to the wind.  Well, needless to say Robin got her fix of digging/finding some gold with her detector in and old patch, that both of us and countless others have swung on before!  Nuggets are funny, some days they are like fish biting all day and other days not a bite!  But, the Hunt and adventure is the most important to balance your inner self, Gold is just the bonus in our hobby!  Until the next hunt!
      LuckyLundy