A Couple Of Nox Mods

Dan(NM)

The purpose of the 'single-bend' shaft is the same as the purpose of the S-bend one. It moves the weight of the coil & the lower rod parts forwards/upwards, so there is minimal twisting of the hand when you reverse swing direction at the end of each sweep. It does look a bit excessive, though, to my eyes. I have made a similar rod set-up for my Fisher F75, and (IIRC) the bend angle on the upper rod was only 8 degrees. I was intending doing the same to my Equinox, but life seems to get ever more complicated, and these projects stay on paper.

( the F75 has offset coil ears, which make the coil further forwards. Eqx coils are all centre-fixed, so it's possible that is the reason for the very apparent bend in this shaft kit.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 8:09 PM, Dan(NM) said:

armrest1.thumb.jpg.adcf936c8cd93e713e2ec75bc77e5335.jpgI decided to see if I could balance out the Nox without too much time or $ involved. So far I'm at $7 and we'll see if this will even pan out. First, I moved my control box forward 11/2"  moved my armrest forward as far as possible and added some ballast at the very back. I used 9   3/4" washers, with a piece of 3/4 round stock in the center as a bushing. I ran a 1/4" hole thru the bushing and mounted it in the last armrest hole. I'll see if the extra weight is worth trying to balance the machine just a little bit more tomorrow when I take it for spin.

armrest4.jpg

armrest3.jpg

armrest5.jpg

Dan, seems like this went off on some tangents. How did it feel and what sort of pain or discomfort were you having?  

I get pain from shoulder to elbow or between. Sometimes I get some pulsing/spasm feeling.  Wanted to try this balancing with less permanent solution to see if it works for me so I used a flexy cable tie I have and an axle nut socket that weighs about a pound or so which balanced it as pictured. It is notably heavier. Not sure this will fix my problem but will try it in field when I get a chance.

D0756D05-33C1-44F4-83EA-3AB76C28F116.jpeg

8C4E9005-3D6C-4213-B1D4-82E2D196CD0B.jpeg

527CAAD8-A1E4-44CC-B30D-9A343804B235.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice! I was having upper arm pain and fatigue swinging the stock 11" coil and noticed no problems using the 6" coil. I eventually ordered one of SteveG's counterbalanced carbon fiber rods and I'm a believer now. I've tried with and without, and the counter balance did the trick for me. I don't even notice the little added weight, so I think any counterbalance with the 11" coil could help.

18 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I used a flexy cable tie I have and an axle nut socket that weighs about a pound or so which balanced it as pictured.

It looks like the socket is next to or under the arm cuff.  Did you try farther back?  Would it not fit over the butt end of the shaft?  My experimentation would indicate better balance if back farther.  I actually have a roll of USA dimes (total weight 1/4 lb) inside but at the upper end of the shaft to help with balance.  That still leaves the unit somewhat toe heavy even with the 11" coil (as compared to the 12"x15" coil), but it does help with balance.  (Actually, a bit toe heavy is required.  Somewhere in there is the Goldilocks point.  Can't say I found that, though.)

• Like 1

I could place the socket or weight further back. It will effectively act as more weight or would need less weight for same effect because of the longer lever arm. For now I am just wanting to try this in field to see if it works for me before I do something more permanent. 

• Like 1