Garrett ATX Backpack Modification

On 12/15/2021 at 10:47 PM, kac said:

Already good on scoops for now. got a stainless last year for the deep stuff and still have my old beat up basket scoop i use for beach combing and towel lines.

The scoop you have looks like it is mig welded? Not a bad thing just curious. If so Tig will give you a smaller cleaner weld.

Based on everything you said I would go with the Minelab Excalibur 2.  That detector automatically nulls out iron and has been known to detect targets to 16 inches, regardless of whether it's in the water or on land. Do your own due diligence to verify this but it is well renowned and been around for decades.

• Like 1

What a coincidence this post has resurfaced. After a long and agonizing journey my Infinium 10x5 DD is now in Africa (US dealer said Garrett prohibits them from shipping out of country. Is that right or just BS?), Right after Christmas I'll be modifying my ATX to an "ATX-Ultra Lite" with the coil on a Gold Bug Mk1 rod. May look at a backpack for the housing but I've already played around with an arm sling and it seemed OK. It's going to be real interesting testing it on clayey ground that I've already hammered with the GB2 10x5 and 6x4 coils but I suspected the ground was not the best for VLF.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Off Grid said:

What a coincidence this post has resurfaced. After a long and agonizing journey my Infinium 10x5 DD is now in Africa (US dealer said Garrett prohibits them from shipping out of country. Is that right or just BS?), Right after Christmas I'll be modifying my ATX to an "ATX-Ultra Lite" with the coil on a Gold Bug Mk1 rod. May look at a backpack for the housing but I've already played around with an arm sling and it seemed OK. It's going to be real interesting testing it on clayey ground that I've already hammered with the GB2 10x5 and 6x4 coils but I suspected the ground was not the best for VLF.

Not sure about your questions.  Call/write Garrett in Texas - they'll respond.  On your ATX mods, please share because that all sounds very interesting.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Off Grid said:

Yes, dealers have restrictions on territory and where they can sell. Out of country sales are normally prohibited, as each country or region has their own distribution channel. I was a multi line dealer in Alaska, and could sell almost nothing into Canada, for instance. You can find dealers who will violate these policies, but the buyer of the detector can run afoul of issues if warranty work is needed, as these are considered “grey market” merchandise.

I also got a sling for a broken arm that worked well holding the ATX body next to the side instead of on back.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, BeachBunnyTRHunter - DP said:

Now I have two pulse induction units, one is a Garrett Sea Hunter II, and the other is a White's TDI beach Hunter.  I've only had the second detector in the lists for about a week or so and I am still figuring out what is capable of but I think it would do pretty well – nevertheless I'm not quite convinced how it is going to do on very small targets? To wit, that is where the Garrett ATX comes in

The ATX design is decades newer than either the Sea Hunter, which is old school straight PI, or the TDI, which is a direct port of the Eric Foster ground balancing PI, the Goldscan. The Goldscan/TDI is a single channel ground balancing PI, and as such has a huge “hole” in the detection of items around the ground balance point. Some gold rings will experience a 50% or greater loss of depth in this “hole”, and it is a major reason you should run ground balance off in a beach scenario if at all possible with the TDI.

The ATX is a modern dual channel design more akin to the Minelab SD series, which uses overlapping but offset dual channels to eliminate the ground balance hole. Details Here and More Details Here

The ATX is also very good on smaller items like small gold nuggets, able to hit 1/10th gram gold nuggets with no problem.

I’m a huge ATX fan but frustrated by the heavy military housing. If we ever get an ATX in a modern housing, I’ll be first in line to get one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still had the impression that the ATX electrical unit itself with batteries .. it has an emotionally more or less acceptable weight .... even though it is quite massive and fully waterproof ... and it looked more like the weak spot is simply harder to beat the rods are connected with a coil ... So I found the time..and considered both parts separately ..

IMG_20211227_191810.jpg

The impression did not deceive me ... The ATX main unit itself also weighs less than 1.6kg from the battery .... and on the contrary, the coil itself with a set of rods is already heavier than the 1.6kg/it's exactly 1.69 Kg!/ ,,, -may it is conditioned by the military tactical use of ATX from the smoother good compactness and durability ... detector ....

I think that in the event of an ATX upgrade it would be very helpful to make it a bit longer .. but lighter in weight and ... only a 2-piece rod system that is more suitable for civilian use of this detector ...

Of course, putting the ATX main unit in a backpack ..is one of the easy and very good options ... how to deal with a certain overweight ATX .... especially when using infinium coils ...

IMG_20211227_191948.jpg

• Like 1