Equinox Silver! And Some Pinpointing Issues With It

https://imgur.com/gallery/plMLq

So I’m frustrated. 

Im using the Minelab Equinox 800, had it for 3 weeks. Pulled a silver Rosie this morning in a 4 hour hunt.

My issue is when I find a target. I have a “clue” based on shovel symbols in depth, but trying to pin point, wiggle back method I’m always off. Sometimes by 4-6 inches laterally.  So I sweep, locate, pin point and dig plug... not in center, and most of the time way off.. inches off.

This is happens multiple times each hunt. This is time consuming and I can’t find a remedy. I’ve used 12 different machines in 1.5 years, and never had this problem. 

Anyone have target locator I’d or pin pointing issues?

Nope, can't say I have. In fact I would rate my Equinox better than most DD coil machines when it comes to pinpointing, whether by eyeballing the target or using the pinpoint button. I get the "ghosting" issue with the pinpoint function now and then but just move off to the side a little more and re engage and it works fine.

Let's see what others have to say. Congrats on the silver!

I don't know if this will help but when locating a target under the coil, once the line of the target has been established horizontally move the coil vertically (as you swing) to see where the target/tone falls off. Then move the coil back to horizontal sweet spot, move it vertically again (using the wiggle) in a much smaller fashion and you should be able to triangulate the target under the coil. 

Hope that helps. 

Skate

• Like 1

Pinpoint is very fast and accurate on the Equinox.. One of the best I’ve used..  Coins on edge will throw of your pinpoint.. I almost always check from two directions.. Especially the high tones to make sure it’s not an iron false..

Bryan

I have used all three of those methods (not at the same time) with reasonable success.  A few times, though, with the pinpointing function, it has seemed as though the target was a few inches to the left of where it should be. Probably just other things down there throwing it off as it was in a very trashy field. If I notice it again, may do some tests to see if there's a pattern...

On 3/10/2018 at 1:24 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Nope, can't say I have. In fact I would rate my Equinox better than most DD coil machines when it comes to pinpointing, whether by eyeballing the target or using the pinpoint button. I get the "ghosting" issue with the pinpoint function now and then but just move off to the side a little more and re engage and it works fine.

Let's see what others have to say. Congrats on the silver!

+1. No problems.

Dean

On 3/11/2018 at 7:22 AM, TennesseeDigger said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/plMLq

So I’m frustrated. 

Im using the Minelab Equinox 800, had it for 3 weeks. Pulled a silver Rosie this morning in a 4 hour hunt.

My issue is when I find a target. I have a “clue” based on shovel symbols in depth, but trying to pin point, wiggle back method I’m always off. Sometimes by 4-6 inches laterally.  So I sweep, locate, pin point and dig plug... not in center, and most of the time way off.. inches off.

This is happens multiple times each hunt. This is time consuming and I can’t find a remedy. I’ve used 12 different machines in 1.5 years, and never had this problem. 

Anyone have target locator I’d or pin pointing issues?

yes, I posted my wiggle back pinpointing issue a couple of weeks ago.

I found mine to be about 1 to 1.5 inches off in Multi-frequency using the wiggle back method ( I rarely use the pinpoint button)

If I switch to a single frequency on the same target the wiggle back pinpointing  accuracy is spot on.

I am wondering if its the mineralised soil I have been hunting or if its just a multi-freq. thing I need to live with and adjust to.

Suggest folks read Dave J’s Text until they are satisfied that they understand at least 60% of it.

It took me more than 3 passes - and I’m not so sure about the part with the variables.

All those folks who fantasize that maybe someday they will design a metal detector - duh.

If this stuff was as easy as writing a program or app - we would have hundreds of detectors to choose from.   

Full marks to ML for creating the GPZ700 and now the Nox.

Perhaps a bit of patience is in order when it comes to new technology development by First Texas and others.

The easy stuff- and a lot of hard stuff - was done a long time ago.

• Like 1