Your Thoughts: Best Pin Pointer?

15 hours ago, MarXthespot said:

Any opinions or experiences to report yet Jackpine?  I like the fact this one is waterproof to 200' if you got the pro version.  I think the wader version is waterproof to 10'??

This one isn't waterproof. There are 4 sensitivity settings, at high it will hit a dime close to 2" and hit hard at around 1.5" .  You can set it to vibrate, audio alert or both at the same time.  Neither are very strong, the audio is weak for my hearing so I used the vibrate function which worked fine but might not work so good with heavy gloves.  At 89.00  I wasn;t expecting top notch perfomance but it works good enough.

Tom

Just tried it with heavy gloves and it works fine no noticeable loss so forget what I said earlier.  The sound from the vibration is louder to my ears than the audio alert beeps. LOL

• Thanks 1

I believe that pinpointer preference is very personal, a lot like metal detectors..  I have been running the Carrot pretty much since it came out.. I have literally wore through the tip because of the amount of hours put on it.. Still going strong!   Last summer I bought a TRX to try out.. Some people love that pinpointer.. I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough..  I recently purchased the F-Pulse.. Probably the best built pointer on the market.. Vary powerful. Air tests a mile..  When I took it out coin hunting I didn’t like it..  It was very slow to find a coin while scanning the hole.. It was constantly chattering.  I had to keep de-tuning it so much it that it was barely any deeper then my Carrot..  It was extremely frustrating and slow to locate..

Next I bought a Minelab Pro-35.. I have only had it out one hunt, but I like it already..  I’m not a fan of the ergonomics but I do like  the separate + - gain buttons.. The iron ID works awesome!  It’s a little more chatty then the quiet Carrot but not nearly as noisy as the F-Pulse..

Neither the Carrot or Minelab are as powerful as the F-Pulse, but the extra power has been of no help..  This might be soil, detector or user dependent..  I’m all about speed once I open a plug.. The F-Pulse slows me down for reasons that are hard to explain in words.. It seems very directional even though it has side sensitivity.. Some people like that feature, I don’t.

I will keep the F-Pulse around to see how it does nugget hunting this summer.. As for coin hunting I will now be using the Pro-35 with the Carrot as backup..

If the Pro-Find 35 did not have Iron discrimination, I would prefer the Carrot by a small margin..  My Carrot has been extremely stable, fast and trouble free..

I think those who like the TRX will love the F-Pulse..  It has a TRX kind of feel to it even with its expanded side sensitivity..  

The point of my mini review here is not to tell you what is the best pinpointer out there.. It’s to kind of point out that it’s very personal..  We all have different ground and styles of use.. One mans most hated feature is another’s favorite..

Its great to know we have different, but great choices to fit our preferences..

Bryan

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I believe that pinpointer preference is very personal, a lot like metal detectors..

7 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I’m all about speed once I open a plug.. The F-Pulse slows me down for reasons that are hard to explain in words..

You hit the nail on the head with your first point.

Regarding your second point "...once I open the plug...", I can add my experience with Garrett Carrot compared to White's Bullseye TRX.  Because of the directionality of the TRX I prefer it before I dig (assuming the target is close enough to the surface to give a signal).  I also prefer it when the target is still in the ground.  However, after the target is out (but still not secured), the multi-directional property of the Carrot makes it easier to find the desired object.  I have considered having both with me and using the one that fits the situation.  Kinda like the double six-shooter gunmen in the old westerns, one on each hip!

• Like 3

If I could get the Carrot's to hold up they would be my favorite for sure. I have two and they both still work but on the first one the button is broke...barley touch it and the thing turns on..the second the light wont turnoff even after the unit powers off the light is still on...not good on the batteries. The TRX is my back up and works fine...just not as powerful as the Carrots

strick

• Like 1

I had a Pro Pointer that went bad after 5 years and Garrett offered the Carrot at $40 off so I bought it. It never worked from day one. I have had it maybe a month and when I turn it on it constantly beeps and will beep at anything. I also have a Whites TRX and although I can barely hear if from so much mud and debris getting on the speaker it works well. I have the sensitivity set as low as I can because I hate it starting to beep in hole when the target it 4" away. 

I wish in hindsight I would have paid Garrett to repair my Pro Pointer

• Like 1

all the garrets I have had don't last very long about 5 months or so and all they do is beep all the time drives me crazy so I have a deteknix wader with the built in litho poly battery and it does really good never beeps unless there is metal close to it except if the equinox gets too close it beeps until you noise cancel but awesome pointer now they are called quest but still the same unit. I found mine half price almost two years ago and no problems so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I maybe new here, I also don’t have much experience but I am going to redact what others have said about the f-pulses inability to see targets quickly. 

1. There is a retune function to precisely zero in on the target with any preset sensitivity. This works effectively to pin point. There is a lot that this pinpointer can do and sense if your operating within its full parameters of function. I think much of the issue is folks not understanding the user interface and using it correctly and not giving the f-pulse a fair shake. 

I have not had experience with another pin pointer but I’m pulling and identifying targets very easily with the f-pulse and am very happy with its performance. I highly recommend it as newb when it being used to it’s full potential, if not then most of the error is operator. 

This thing goes so deep and functions flawlessly that i use it as stand alone detector with digger tool. I need to put some pictures up but I’m hitting quarters at 5” inch’s. 

Biggest advice I  can give to anyone purchasing one is ensure your buying from authorized dealer. I got mine through Kellycodetectors. There’s a lot of counterfeits. 

• Like 2